Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: The over/under on Correia

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 859 Times in 553 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Like Matt Gruyere? That "quality"?
    What's so wrong with some high-quality, finely-aged cheese?

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,598 Times in 831 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    Trevor May should be the guy. Absolutely. It might be Darnell though.
    I have a sneaking suspicion it might be Darnell. Not that I have anything against him but it's time for the Twins to start calling up some potential difference-makers to start games. May fits that bill. Darnell, not so much.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 380 Times in 233 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    The Twins are 18 - 12 when Pelfry and Corriea do not get a decision. They are 1-8. If the Twins went 4-5 instead, we are in the wild card lead and only a few games behind Detroit.
    I'm guessing most teams would see that kind of improvement if you took out the starts by their #4 and 5 pitchers.

Of course on the Twins these are the #2 and 4 pitchers.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    I have a sneaking suspicion it might be Darnell. Not that I have anything against him but it's time for the Twins to start calling up some potential difference-makers to start games. May fits that bill. Darnell, not so much.
    Based on last year's history with Gibson, the Twins will give at least one more chance to every SP on Rochester with a heartbeat before they finally turn to May, and then, Meyer.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Physics Guy's Avatar
    Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I had hope that Correia had figured things out after his May 3 outing. He threw 7 innings, 1 ER, 5 H, 0 BB. He had 3 QS out of 6 and really only had one stinker. Now he is up to a 3/8 stinker quotient. I'll be shocked if they don't at least give him two more starts. If the next two are like the last two he needs to be DFA'd. If he can keep them in games up to the Super 2 deadline, keep him until then. I'm with the majority in wanting to see May up. I would like to see Meyer in AAA to continue working on the changeup.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 540 Times in 350 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If he is successful tonight and his next Triple A start, I believe the "answer" with be Mike Pelfrey. I don't necessarily agree with that, but since he is on the DL, it would be the easy move to make.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    If he is successful tonight and his next Triple A start, I believe the "answer" with be Mike Pelfrey. I don't necessarily agree with that, but since he is on the DL, it would be the easy move to make.
    Yep. Antony already has this option set on "default" position in his roster settings for pitching.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 464 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If AAA guys are laying off the pitch, there's just about a zero chance a MLB hitter will swing at the offering unless his name is Delmon Young.

And I'm not sure why you think it's unimportant to get a changeup over the plate. It's not a slider, where you trick the hitter into thinking it's a strike as it dives off the plate. I think it's a must to get a changeup over the plate in case the hitter doesn't swing (which in turn forces the hitter to swing at it if he fears it will get over the plate for a strike call).
    I'm saying you can't look only at numbers. If he throws it a lot more than he normally would because he's working on it, it's not a good gauge of how effective it would be if properly used. He does have 49 Ks in 40 innings, so apparently a lot of guys are swinging and missing.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    I'm saying you can't look only at numbers. If he throws it a lot more than he normally would because he's working on it, it's not a good gauge of how effective it would be if properly used. He does have 49 Ks in 40 innings, so apparently a lot of guys are swinging and missing.
    The K rate has actually improved year-over-year from New Britain, but the KS% is down noticeably. His IFB rate has literally quadrupled over his rate from New Britain, while his LD% of 8.9% is down by some 40% from last season. His H/9 are down by nearly 1. Hence, the guy is basically unhittable, and maybe a bit "effectively wild", at the AAA level. The main 2 reasons his ERA number isn't better is due to his defensively-caused high BABIP-IFB (.342) and his BB rate. And we all are mostly in agreement that he's using his time now in Rochester in refining and in effect, overusing the pitches like the change-up that are not yet final products.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Physics Guy's Avatar
    Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Well, he probably bought himself another start after tonight.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    I was kind of hoping Correia would tank last night.

Oh well.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries

Oh well.
    With the Twins half a game behind the second Wild Card? Hoping for tanking should not be an option at this point
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

13. This user likes Thrylos's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

WLFINN (05-21-2014)

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts

Oh well.

Agree. Not that we want the Twins to lose, just rather, growing tired of KC....it's time to start seeing some of the younger guys who may be part of the future.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    With the Twins half a game behind the second Wild Card? Hoping for tanking should not be an option at this point
    I'll sacrifice 1-2 games for a better short- and long-term pitcher to join the rotation. I think May could come up right now and post Kevin Correia-type numbers or better, which is why I'm hoping that Correia tanks.

16. This user likes Brock Beauchamp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (05-21-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 80 Times in 50 Posts
    Correia's start wasn't really that good when you consider how bad San Diego's offense is. Against them, a 4.5 ERA is well below average. And he allowed a crucial hit against their pitcher.

His biggest problem is Pelfrey. Much more money is committed to Pelfrey and the Twins want to get him back in the rotation. Who else will they replace... Deduno? Not with the way he's pitching. Gibson? Seems unlikely unless he really implodes. Correia is the only real option at the moment.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    I'll sacrifice 1-2 games for a better short- and long-term pitcher to join the rotation. I think May could come up right now and post Kevin Correia-type numbers or better, which is why I'm hoping that Correia tanks.
    Agreed. 100%
    Lighten up Francis....

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by drivlikejehu View Post
    His biggest problem is Pelfrey. Much more money is committed to Pelfrey and the Twins want to get him back in the rotation. Who else will they replace... Deduno? Not with the way he's pitching. Gibson? Seems unlikely unless he really implodes. Correia is the only real option at the moment.
    If Pelfrey is throwing 92-93mph, I will welcome him back to the roster. Maybe not the rotation, but the roster.

If the Twins call him up and he's still throwing 89-90mph, I'll flip over to women's college softball every night he pitches.

20. This user likes Brock Beauchamp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (05-21-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
    He threw a QS last night and the Twins got the win, he just guaranteed himself another start if not another 2 unfortunately.

Hey, maybe that start suddenly created trade value for him! Right? anyone? Bueller?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 332 Times in 210 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by drivlikejehu View Post
    It was encouraging that they dropped Pelfrey (at least temporarily) when he wasn't performing, and it would be likewise encouraging to see them drop a poor performing Correia even if it's just to give Pelfrey another chance. It would be a clear indicator of a smart SP depth chart at the MLB level.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast