Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: The over/under on Correia

Liked 3,170 Times in 1,357 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    I'll sacrifice 1-2 games for a better short- and long-term pitcher to join the rotation. I think May could come up right now and post Kevin Correia-type numbers or better, which is why I'm hoping that Correia tanks.
    IMO it would be better if Correia pitches well (and May pitches well). I think that gives the team options, which is always better than not having options.

In other words, I'd rather the Twins have the problem of both Correia and May deserving a spot than having Correia tank and depending on May.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

2. This user likes USAFChief's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Brandon (05-21-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 61 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    I'm guessing most teams would see that kind of improvement if you took out the starts by their #4 and 5 pitchers.

Of course on the Twins these are the #2 and 4 pitchers.
    The point of that idea is to show what the reality could be if we had an average .500 pitcher in those slots. We would likely be contenders at that point. so with Deduno and one of our AAA ptchers likely Meyer, we can replace Correia and Pelfry with 2 solid potentially .500 pitchers and contend this year.
    Last edited by Brandon; 05-21-2014 at 09:50 AM.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 80 Times in 50 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spycake View Post
    It was encouraging that they dropped Pelfrey (at least temporarily) when he wasn't performing, and it would be likewise encouraging to see them drop a poor performing Correia even if it's just to give Pelfrey another chance. It would be a clear indicator of a smart SP depth chart at the MLB level.
    The Twins don't have quality depth. Their starters are dead last in xFIP and 2nd to last in ERA. What they do have is a situation where Correia and/or Pelfrey could block younger pitchers from getting an opportunity. So in that sense the notional 'depth' the Twins have is harmful.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 332 Times in 210 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    IMO it would be better if Correia pitches well (and May pitches well). I think that gives the team options, which is always better than not having options.

In other words, I'd rather the Twins have the problem of both Correia and May deserving a spot than having Correia tank and depending on May.
    I agree, obviously we'd love to see every player on the team and in the minors perform well.

But I see where Brock is coming from too. How do you define "well"? Correia performing "well" might mean "just well enough to get a few more starts" which could preclude us from seeing a potentially better performance from May (or at least seeing if he can take Correia's spot in 2015).

And it's a question of time. Correia's had a month and a half already where, overall, he has failed to perform well.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 332 Times in 210 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by drivlikejehu View Post
    The Twins don't have quality depth. Their starters are dead last in xFIP and 2nd to last in ERA. What they do have is a situation where Correia and/or Pelfrey could block younger pitchers from getting an opportunity. So in that sense the notional 'depth' the Twins have is harmful.
    I didn't suggest anything about depth quality. But we all agree the back of the MLB level depth chart should be Pelfrey and Correia. We already sorta know Pelf is back there from his demotion (or "injury"), and if he subs in for Correia soon, we'll know KC is/was back there too. Not real excited to see either of them take the hill, but if I know for certain they are at the back of the MLB depth chart, and there is precedent for bouncing them for bad performance, that's good news.

I agree it still doesn't address the bad performance threshold it would take for a AAA guy to unseat Pelf (or KC).

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,598 Times in 831 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spycake View Post
    I agree, obviously we'd love to see every player on the team and in the minors perform well.

But I see where Brock is coming from too. How do you define "well"? Correia performing "well" might mean "just well enough to get a few more starts" which could preclude us from seeing a potentially better performance from May (or at least seeing if he can take Correia's spot in 2015).

And it's a question of time. Correia's had a month and a half already where, overall, he has failed to perform well.
    Yep. It's opportunity cost. By inserting a pitcher "good enough to get by, pitching a quality start every second or third turn", you might be passing up a prospect who would be marginally, if not significantly, better than that in both the short- and long-term.

And it's not as if Kevin Correia is doing anything right now that Mike Pelfrey, Kris Johnson, or Logan Darnell couldn't do. He has been terrible this season.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 380 Times in 233 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    This makes sense except the Twins don't seem to consistantly make the right choice when they have options lately. In fact in the case of Bartlett/Presley, they made the wrong choice when no one though there was even a choice available to be made.

Of course if May and Correia are both "deserving" the vet, Correia will win 100% of the time here. Even if the rookie is more deserving.

9. This user likes nicksaviking's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (05-21-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Physics Guy's Avatar
    Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Thought I'd revisit this after tonight's start. Correia will most likely make it much longer than most are/were hoping for. Although it's pretty hard to complain about his last 6 starts.

36 IP, 41 H, 4 BB, 20 K, 3.50 ERA and 1.25 WHIP

He's not going anywhere unless,
    A) he puts up several straight stinkers and May forces the Twins' hands or
    B) he continues with what he has done the last month and garners something in trade.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Kirby_Waved_At_Me's Avatar
    Liked 167 Times in 88 Posts
    I'm hoping for B) !

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    It certainly looks like Correia has earned a continued look in the rotation and Deduno is now the odd man out.

I wish the front office would make a move. I'd take almost any move right now. So tired of watching this rotation flounder every second or third start.

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    It certainly looks like Correia has earned a continued look in the rotation and Deduno is now the odd man out.

I wish the front office would make a move. I'd take almost any move right now. So tired of watching this rotation flounder every second or third start.
    I'm hoping this recent stretch of good pitching from KC will give him just enough trade value to land a prospect of at least a little value at the deadline, and I'm hoping that's the Twins plan as well.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 61 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Can you say contract extension..... That's my big fear.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    Can you say contract extension..... That's my big fear.
    I don't see it. The Twins simply do not have room in the rotation if they want to promote any of the young guys.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
    Correia with Pinto as catcher has an ERA of 5.91 over 21.1 innings (4 starts).

Correia with Suzuki as catcher has an ERA of 4.11 over 57 innings (10 starts), which includes his 2 inning, 7 run clunker in April.

I know this is SSS and not even xFIP, but I think the overall point is that Correia can (does) fall under the large bell curve that is an average MLB pitcher. In my mind, average is not a dirty word… but in no sense do I want to sign him to an extension!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345