Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who is going to rise up?

Who is going to rise up?

On a roster filled with question marks, only a few positions have none.

Catcher: Kurt Suzuki and Josmil Pinto have a strong hold to their jobs and it appears have the position locked down. (Twins may want to consider extending Suzuki, as it appears Pinto may not be ready to take over full-time as a catcher after this season)

1st Base: Injuries aside, Mauer has done a fine job and to be frank, nothing is happening here unless he has some serious injuries. Back-up 1B isn't an issue either.

2nd Base: I think we are all happy to say that Dozier has settled any debate here. (Time to lock him up, don't you agree?)

3rd Base: Although it's temporary, Plouffe has done a good enough job that we don't really need to worry about it right now. Sano will be coming soon enough and Plouffe has versatility in his background, so it's not an issue. Hope he keeps hitting doubles and fewer meaningless 9th inning homeruns.

--Question Marks--

Who is going to step up at these spots?

OF: Let's just be honest, our OF is a cluster****
    Hicks refuses to hit, he needs more refinement.
    Fuld has been solid, but his track record shows it's a myth and he is hurt.
    Arcia is healthy but not ready apparently?
    Willingham is hurt, not ready, but will probably be up soon?
    Parmelee isn't much of an OF and isn't much of a hitter, but hit cleanup last night and showed why he shouldn't.
    Santana is intriguing in CF, his bat has been nice, but probably isn't sustainable and if he is going to be a CF will need some time in AAA at the position.
    Colabello is who we thought he was. Pitchers adjust, and he hasn't in the OF.
    Kubel has had an incredible stretch, incredibly bad. He is showing why he got sent packing.
    Nunez: This guy plays OF?
    I'm really curious why we aren't bringing Arcia up right away considering he might be the only OF that is part of this team's future.

SS:
    Escobar is actually playing really well. Another guy that you say "It probably isn't sustainable." Has done his part though to own that job.
    Santana has done a nice job too. If Escobar falls off soon, it'd be nice to give the job to Santana for 10-15 days to see what he can do. Sink or Swim at SS. If he can't, I woudn't mind seeing him go to AAA at CF, back-up SS and 2B. CF could be a weakness for longer than planned if Buxton keeps getting hurt and Hicks can't be average.
    Florimon will only see the light of day in Minnesota if there are injuries or a September call-up.
    Nunez doesn't seem to be a part of any solution as this team's SS.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,598 Times in 831 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Reports are that Arcia still has wrist soreness. I think the Twins will call him up the moment they're comfortable with his health.

I can deal with an OF of Arcia/Parmelee/Hicks/Fuld for the time being. It'd be nice if they could send down Hicks and acquire another 4th OF type who can play center but I don't know of anyone who is available right now.

3. This user likes Brock Beauchamp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Sconnie (05-15-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 221 Times in 96 Posts
    Why has Arcia been playing every day for two weeks in Rochester if he's still "sore"? No one is allowed to play at the big league level with any ounce of soreness.

5. These 2 users like notoriousgod71's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Cris E (05-15-2014), Siehbiscuit (05-15-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 489 Times in 285 Posts
    The outfield clusterbomb is only temporary. The injuries and stubbornness are hopefully behind us, and moving forward the rest of the year:

LF: Kubel/Willingham platoon
    CF: Fuld/Hicks
    RF: Parmelee/Arcia with the thought of moving one of them to left for 2015.

We're told Santana can play a major league center field though nobody sounds very convincing about it and these are the same mouths that sold us on Escobar and Colabello. Anyway I guess either Hicks or Santana should be playing center in AAA then, while the other is here backing up Fuld. Santana can then compete in center next spring. Overall, it's not a bad situation anymore.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by notoriousgod71 View Post
    Why has Arcia been playing every day for two weeks in Rochester if he's still "sore"?
    No idea, that's just what I've heard in recent days.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by notoriousgod71 View Post
    Why has Arcia been playing every day for two weeks in Rochester if he's still "sore"? No one is allowed to play at the big league level with any ounce of soreness.
    Actually, he sat out a couple days last week when he felt pain in the wrist so he hasn't been playing every day for two weeks. I think the Twins are right to let him stay in AAA until he's both healthy and gotten his timing back - he hasn't exactly dominated AAA. Let Parmelee get a few ML at bats in the meantime.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Agree, keep Arcia down until fully healthy and his timing is closer to back. Doesn't hurt for Parmalee to get more chances, imo.
    Lighten up Francis....

Santana is your starting shortstop period. He will have some ugly moments because he is young but he is a ballplayer that is special. Escober is all they need for a utility plater. Those two plus Dozier give the Twins a quality middle infield that is as good or better than anyone in the division. Don't for a minute believe Santana needs more minor league time. He is special! Arcia is their left fielder now. Playing in AAA while we put shortstops in left field is an insult to the fan base. There is no injury level that works at the AAA level but not at the major league level. Calvin Griffith was cheap but he knew talent. CF is a black hole not due to injuries! Hicks has never been special in professional baseball. Fuld at least is a spark plug type of player you can win with. Bring Meyer up now don't waste him. Do want to have Correa make a mistake pitch at 89 or Gibson at 91 or Meyer at 96-98. Look in the dugout at Moliters expression when he looks at who's in the dugout it spesks volumes. If your going to play the big boys in MLB bring in the howitzers stop with the pea shooters.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by OldTimeTwinkie View Post
    Santana is your starting shortstop period. He will have some ugly moments because he is young but he is a ballplayer that is special.
    Hicks has never been special in professional baseball.
    These two statements make absolutely no sense when placed next to one another.

A year ago, every GM in baseball would have taken Hicks over Santana and wouldn't have thought twice about it.

Hell, even today it's likely at least 25 of them would still take Hicks over Santana.

12. This user likes Brock Beauchamp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Since71 (05-15-2014)

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 820 Times in 515 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm more concerned about 2015 Twins than 2014 personally. I'm not expecting a penant race, but I want to see improvement, and there's good reason to be happy with that. With that end in mind:

I'm not terribly worried about the OF long term. I'm pretty convinced Arcia is for real, though I do think he could use a bit of AAA time, and I'm fine with that. CF is not looking like it's going to be a position of strength next season, especially with Buxton being sidelined with an injury. Hicks needs to be checking out appartments in Rochester and I don't want to see him back until he's had an .800 OPS there for at least 2 months in a row. Fuld can run with the job for now (though I'm not expecting him to rise up), and I'd be fine giving him the occasional day off with Santana or Escobar, but to be clear I don't think it's good for either if they are expected to play CF regularly.

I'm probably higher on Parmelee than most of you as well, but even if Sano is ready in 2015, between Parmelee, Plouffe, and Vargas, I think the team's DH and LF role is not really a problem long term, or even short term if Willingham stays hurt. Colabello's future I think is more of a bench bat. I'd love to be wrong there, but I think pitchers have figured him out.

SS is the big quesiton mark. I'm not sold on Santana, but as long as he's hitting the ball, I'm fine letting him have an extended run and see what he does. Escobar can go into a super utility role and spell people at 3B, SS, 2B, and OF and get plenty of at bats, but I fully expect Santana to end up in AAA again at one point and let Escobar handle it every day. I do think that Escobar is a good candidate for rising up. The guy has shown he has the ability to hit. Hopefully he'll eventually put it all together.

I don't see that translating to a division title in 2014. I do think it will lead to competitiveness in 2015 (especially if 2 of Meyer, May, and Darnell can successfully replace KC and Pelfrey), and I do think there will be some experimentation here in 2014 as well.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 332 Times in 210 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Reports are that Arcia still has wrist soreness. I think the Twins will call him up the moment they're comfortable with his health.
    I don't know, I think it is performance as much as anything (although health concerns help affirm the decision). I don't think they would have burned an option year on him just to give him a little extra time to heal. Heck, they've already given a few guys ~5 days to heal on the MLB roster this season.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spycake View Post
    I don't know, I think it is performance as much as anything (although health concerns help affirm the decision). I don't think they would have burned an option year on him just to give him a little extra time to heal. Heck, they've already given a few guys ~5 days to heal on the MLB roster this season.
    Yeah, but they do not have the roster space to dedicate to a healing outfielder right now. They need warm bodies who can play outfield and if Arcia can't do it, then he should stay in the minors.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 332 Times in 210 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, but they do not have the roster space to dedicate to a healing outfielder right now. They need warm bodies who can play outfield and if Arcia can't do it, then he should stay in the minors.
    Pretty sure Arcia could take the spot of Santana or better yet the 13th pitcher right now, if the Twins only wanted to give him a little more time to heal.

I think they want to give him time to get back on track at AAA, more than just heal. He looked pretty bad in spring training and the first week this year -- all of last year's negatives without many positives. That's a good reason to burn an option year.

There is not one GM on this planet that would take Hicks over Santana. Your ability to judge talent is on a par with the Twins FO. You show me where Hicks ever had an impressive minor league year. Lets see a year ago Hicks was batting? He was a disaster a year ago so it seems to me your stements make no sense.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    There is not one GM on this planet that would take Hicks over Santana. Your ability to judge talent is on a par with the Twins FO. You show me where Hicks ever had an impressive minor league year. Lets see a year ago Hicks was batting? He was a disaster a year ago so it seems to me your stements make no sense.
    Hicks cracked pretty much every top 100 prospect list through his MiLB career, peaking as high as the low 20s on some lists.

Santana? Zero top 100 lists.

Hicks has out-performed Santana at every level of the minor leagues. As far as prospects go, they're not even in the same conversation. Hicks has a MiLB OPS 100 points higher than Santana.

Also, don't take personal digs at other users, particularly administrators.

19. These 6 users like Brock Beauchamp's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Ben Noble (05-15-2014), halfchest (05-15-2014), luckylager (05-15-2014), mike wants wins (05-15-2014), Siehbiscuit (05-15-2014), Tibs (05-15-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
    Ideally they will both have productive and successful careers with the Twins, obviously right now with the SSS of Santana he looks good, however although Hicks has not performed well to this point, he could figure it out and turn into a solid MLB player. Hopefully for both this turns out to be the case.

Don't be so sensitive. Performance trumps lists .

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Performance trumps lists .
    And Hicks has massively outperformed Santana throughout their respective MiLB careers.

Danny Santana has 24 (!) MLB plate appearances. That's less than six games of full-time play. You're literally basing your opinion on Santana over a single week of play.

23. This user likes Brock Beauchamp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Ben Noble (05-15-2014)

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 88 Times in 31 Posts
    And Hicks has massively outperformed Santana throughout their respective MiLB careers.

Danny Santana has 24 (!) MLB plate appearances. That's less than six games of full-time play. You're literally basing your opinion on Santana over a single week of play.
    So you're saying his .982 OPS isn't sustainable?!?!?!?

25. This user likes Jaykay's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Siehbiscuit (05-15-2014)

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaykay View Post
    So you're saying his .982 OPS isn't sustainable?!?!?!?
    If I were a betting man, I'd lop about a third of that OPS off if Santana plays an entire season.

I like Santana and have enjoyed watching him play but a lot of hopes and prayers are being put on a kid who wasn't particularly good in the minors.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast