Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who is going to rise up?

You've seen with your own eyes two players perform in the majors so far. Evaluate for me what your eyes have seen please.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 30 Times in 24 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinscowboysbulls View Post

OF: Let's just be honest, our OF is a cluster****
    You win the internet today!!

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,581 Times in 822 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by OldTimeTwinkie View Post
    You've seen with your own eyes two players perform in the majors so far. Evaluate for me what your eyes have seen please.
    I've seen a good prospect in Hicks struggle.

I haven't seen enough of Danny Santana to alter my opinion one bit. Lots of guys come up and have a good week. Most fail miserably after that point as the league adjusts before establishing their real baseline for play, as high or low as that might be (but generally in line with their MiLB numbers, which puts Santana around a .680-.720 OPS).

Chris Parmelee had an OPS over 1.000 in his first month of play. Not a week, a month. And we saw how that turned out in 2012 and 2013. He OPSed under .670 in those two partial seasons.

Senior Member Triple-A Paul Pleiss's Avatar
    Twitter
    @baseballpirate
    Liked 97 Times in 66 Posts
    Blog Entries
    C: Suzuki continues his hot start to the season, Pinto is back to mashing the ball, no need to wait for anyone to step up, both players are already performing

1B: Joe Mauer is going to Joe Mauer, be patient and enjoy watching a future HOF'er hit the baseball (or walk and not hit the baseball, as he is want to do)

2B: If you're waiting for Brian Dozier to turn back into a pumpkin, don't hold your breath.

3B: Plouffe has cooled off considerably since his hot start, but I'd still take the player he is this year over last year and everything before that except for his HR month in 2012.

SS: Eduardo Escobar has stepped up at SS, seeing him out there everyday should be expected unless he forgets how to hit a baseball or throw to first base.

DH: Kubel/Colabello are both slumping, hard. When Nunez is getting reps at DH I start having nightmares from back when everyone's favorite #3 catcher, Drew Butera, got reps at DH. I think both have value as a bench bat, but neither should be the everyday DH unless than can start performing similiar to their early season success. I'd recommend Gardy put Pinto at DH when he's not catching, and risk having to pinch-hit for a pitcher once or twice if Suzuki gets injured.

OF: Anyone who can run and hold a glove is welcome to step up. C Parms is having a nice 2014 debut, let's see if it can continue. I don't think it's time to give up on Hicks, he's 24 and he's still getting on base at better than a .310 clip; yes, he needs to be more aggressive with his bat (hitting .161), but this team needs CF depth, it's not time to send him to AAA. Fuld was playing well until his concussion, hopefully he can come back and provide some depth so that Santana doesn't have to look terrible in CF when Hicks gets the day off.

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Hicks cracked pretty much every top 100 prospect list through his MiLB career, peaking as high as the low 20s on some lists.

Santana? Zero top 100 lists.

Hicks has out-performed Santana at every level of the minor leagues. As far as prospects go, they're not even in the same conversation. Hicks has a MiLB OPS 100 points higher than Santana.

Also, don't take personal digs at other users, particularly administrators.
    "He was a disaster a year ago so it seems to me your stements make no sense."
    I'm not sure why you would consider that a dig. Your stements do not make sense. Stements by their very nature, never make sense.

Liked 2,276 Times in 1,280 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinscowboysbulls View Post
    Parmelee isn't much of an OF
    With all due respect... Why... Do you feel this way?
    Last edited by Riverbrian; 05-15-2014 at 09:55 PM.

7. These 2 users like Riverbrian's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (05-15-2014), Reider (05-16-2014)

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 532 Times in 346 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The future at DH is currently mashing in New Britain. While it isn't ideal for a young guy to be a full-time DH, Kennys Vargas most likely is just that, with a few games at first base sprinkled in. I do hope he gets a chance with the Twins this season.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 532 Times in 346 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pleiss View Post

DH: Kubel/Colabello are both slumping, hard. When Nunez is getting reps at DH I start having nightmares from back when everyone's favorite #3 catcher, Drew Butera, got reps at DH.
    While the Twins have used any number of questionable athletes at DH, Drew Butera was never the Twins DH. He is listed as having been a DH in one game, no starts, with no at-bats, most likely meaning he pinch-ran for an injured DH.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 49 Times in 34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OldTimeTwinkie View Post
    Tommy Watkins hit .357 in 32 career at bats. Glenn Williams hit .425 in 40. Small sample sizes are just that. Why don't we see if Santana can keep it up for a month. I do agree he'll be the starting shortstop next year, but I'm not ready to give him the job based on one week where he's already suffering from hamstring issues the last two days.

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 487 Times in 284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    While the Twins have used any number of questionable athletes at DH, Drew Butera was never the Twins DH. He is listed as having been a DH in one game, no starts, with no at-bats, most likely meaning he pinch-ran for an injured DH.
    If the DH got injured.. did Gardy have to pull the catcher out of the game to DH?

Seriously though, as long as there's a Designated Hitter in the AL lineup, it should be perfectly ok to bring a guy up to be full time DH, if that makes sense. There's the David Ortiz story, of course. Edgar Martinez was a pioneer of it. If in your judgment Kennys Vargas should get a shot at it, I'm all in favor.

12. This user likes Hosken Bombo Disco's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Sconnie (05-15-2014)

Liked 391 Times in 259 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    I've seen a good prospect in Hicks struggle.

I haven't seen enough of Danny Santana to alter my opinion one bit. Lots of guys come up and have a good week. Most fail miserably after that point as the league adjusts before establishing their real baseline for play, as high or low as that might be (but generally in line with their MiLB numbers, which puts Santana around a .680-.720 OPS).

Chris Parmelee had an OPS over 1.000 in his first month of play. Not a week, a month. And we saw how that turned out in 2012 and 2013. He OPSed under .670 in those two partial seasons.
    The only thing Santana has over Hicks is "Hustle". As we all know Gardy loves hustle and started Punto for years because of it. I like Santana's hustle too and I'd like to see him get some extended time at the bigs, moving all over the field. I think his effort will be an asset and his talent doesn't warrant kid gloves. He's not a special talent, so there's not much to destroy by bogging him down by being over matched.

Hicks on the other hand, has a lot of talent, but has been mired in futility since 2013. I think Hicks needs to go to AAA, find his stroke and learn to play left field for when Buxton comes up.

In the mean time, Mr. Hustle Santana and Fuld can figure out who a worthwhile 4th outfielder is to keep for 2015.

Liked 391 Times in 259 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye12 View Post
    Tommy Watkins hit .357 in 32 career at bats. Glenn Williams hit .425 in 40. Small sample sizes are just that. Why don't we see if Santana can keep it up for a month. I do agree he'll be the starting shortstop next year, but I'm not ready to give him the job based on one week where he's already suffering from hamstring issues the last two days.
    I think Escobar will (has) lock(ed) it down. I think the question is where do Nunez and Santana fit? I think Nunez is the bench IF, Santana bench OF/super utility.

Liked 115 Times in 73 Posts
    The Twins have to let these young guys play (in AAA or MLB) and us fans need to be patient and see how they turn out. Some of these guys are 25 or younger and need more time.

Hicks has all of the tools he needs to be an every day starter. He just needs to keep working hard and hopefully things work out for him.

When I look at Santana, I see a young player with good tools, not just a guy with "hustle," but he needs more development. He's fast, has a strong arm, and can put a charge into the ball. I'm just not sure if he can be reliable enough defensively or put up good hitting numbers long-term. I see potential there, it may just take a while.

Escobar is playing good enough right now. Time will tell if he can keep putting up respectable hitting numbers.

When I look at the line up, I'm convinced guys like Mauer, Dozier, and Suzuki are players you don't really have to worry about. Everyone knows what they bring to the table. However, guys like Colabello, Escobar, Santana, Hicks, Plouffe, Parmelee, Aarcia.. etc... only time will tell. They just need to keep playing. So far Plouffe seems to have taken a step forward. Defensively, there is no doubt.
    Last edited by Reider; 05-16-2014 at 05:23 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12