Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Berardino: Antony/Gardy on Aaron Hicks

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries

Berardino: Antony/Gardy on Aaron Hicks

http://blogs.twincities.com/twins/20...his-superiors/

Mike Berardino relayed discussions with Rob Antony and Ron Gardenhire on Aaron Hicks.

Hicks is a good guy, and he's laid back. He isn't one to show a lot of emotion.

The generally discussion is and has been that he's too laid back and unprepared. Not sure I'm a big fan of calling him out, especially when Antony said,

“There are times when you want him to get a little more aggressive,” Antony said. “I think he plays the game right. I don’t have a problem with the personality. It’s more about the production and the preparation and everything else where we think he has a ways to go. It takes time. They are not finished products when they get here.”
    If it's about the production (and it is and should be, then let's not talk about the personality. Hicks isn't a finished product, and he's 24.

This kind of thing should probably stay in the clubhouse... as much as we want to know more and more.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 568 Times in 372 Posts
    I agree with Gleeman on Harballtalk.......if he hasn't learned how to study the game, what have the minor league coaches been teaching him for the last 6 years? I also agree with you, that this shouldn't be in public. OTOH, maybe they have tried for years to teach him, and he's not listening, and this is a last ditch chance......
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts
    Twinkietown had an article on this, too. http://www.twinkietown.com/2014/5/15...ks-too-passive

Reading the article, I don't think any of Gardy's comments were that bad - although this thread is absolutely going to blow up with "Gardy being mean to young guys" stuff. Like with Morneau in 06, I'm sure there were a lot of conversations in private before it came to this. Hicks is 24 and really, really bad. He shouldn't be this bad and, as Jessie at TT noted, Hicks' passivity isn't something only the Twins have noted.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 288 Times in 150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    I agree with Gleeman on Harballtalk.......if he hasn't learned how to study the game, what have the minor league coaches been teaching him for the last 6 years? I also agree with you, that this shouldn't be in public. OTOH, maybe they have tried for years to teach him, and he's not listening, and this is a last ditch chance......
    If the minor league coaches have been trying to do this, and he hasn't been listening, how do you ramp up the pressure? You could demote him, except of course the team doesn't have anyone, or you go public and try to get his attention. You can only try privately so long, then those become your two options.

5. This user likes big dog's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

benchwarmerjim (05-15-2014)

Senior Member MVP
    Isn't that what I said in the last sentence?
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 493 Times in 288 Posts
    Thanks Seth. Hicksies performance at the plate speaks volumes enough without needing to pile on with the work ethic stuff. The same issue came up with Plouffe during his outfield experiment a few years ago, iirc.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 827 Times in 520 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I thought they did a pretty good job of not throwing him under the bus, and that tends to be my biggest issue in how the Twins have used the press in the past, though I tend to agree that these things need to be private.

My issue with Gardy has been his inconsistent treatment of rookies as opposed to vets... Unfortunatley with Hicks, I'd be hardpressed to find a vet that he's outplaying right now. I said at the beginning of the year that I felt Rochester was the best place for him. He needs to play in a lower pressure environment and work on a few things.

I still think that.

Doesn't really need to be in the press though. Send the kid down and let Fuld have the job for now.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Kirby_Waved_At_Me's Avatar
    Liked 169 Times in 89 Posts
    If he's not ready in their opinion, why are they keeping him on the ML roster instead of have him play in AAA ?
    Are they trying to soften the blow for the move they have already decided to make?
    Making it public does seem like a way to send an additional underlined message, but that's assuming Hicks pays attention to the local media.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    This kind of thing should probably stay in the clubhouse... as much as we want to know more and more.
    Exactly
    I don't mind Gardy's comments. But the things Antony said to media are unforgivable. Why he is talking to the media about how how Hicks doesn't know the opposing pitcher?!!?

Antony should know better.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 867 Times in 557 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by clutterheart View Post
    Exactly
    I don't mind Gardy's comments. But the things Antony said to media are unforgivable. Why he is talking to the media about how how Hicks doesn't know the opposing pitcher?!!?

Antony should know better
    Should he know better? A guy hired as a marketing intern, not the first time he spoke out of turn, Antony's learning curve is lot longer than Hicks's

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 13 Times in 5 Posts
    In the past I've been very critical of the Twins - Gardy in particular - in how they call out young guys publicly while seeming to give under-performing veterans a pass.

In this case, however, nothing that was said in that article bothered me. I thought Gardy and Antony were pretty diplomatic, considering that Hicks apparently sometimes doesn't even bother to find out who's taking the hill that day. That was a startling bit of information.

Maybe behind the scenes the Twins have an attitude that I've heard Nick Saban express more than once. If you work on the process and get that right, the results should take care of themselves. If they don't, then you've done what you can with the talent you have. If Hick's isn't working on the process of being a professional hitter with that preparation and tape study, then he's just hoping the results work out. I can understand why that would frustrate them. It would frustrate me also.

13. This user likes SDFan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Siehbiscuit (05-15-2014)

Senior Member MVP
    Shouldn't they have known that, in the 6 years he's been in the system, and either fixed it or not kept promoting him until he did? I mean, it would appear that they weren't concerned with any of this in the minors, and they dealt both CF while he was in AA and made him the CF. Did they not know this was an issue before? isn't that a process issue?
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 61 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I am ok with a Santana / Fuld platoon for a while.

If Hicks isn't studying the days pitcher, then he should be grilled before he's allowed to take batting practice and play in that days game. that is if I was in charge.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 672 Times in 381 Posts
    I struggle to ever think of a time that it benefits a young player to have concerns like this expressed to the media. If his peers in the lockerroom and his employers are not enough to pressure him to change, the sea of nameless faces in the crowd isn't going to suddenly get him to change.

This wasn't as bad as usual for the Twins and young players, but still completely unnecessary and fruitless.

17. These 2 users like TheLeviathan's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

AM. (05-16-2014), Winston Smith (05-15-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 80 Times in 50 Posts
    Shouldn't they have known that, in the 6 years he's been in the system, and either fixed it or not kept promoting him until he did? I mean, it would appear that they weren't concerned with any of this in the minors, and they dealt both CF while he was in AA and made him the CF. Did they not know this was an issue before? isn't that a process issue?
    What they said was too vague to really get much out of it. In the minor leagues they probably don't study the opposing pitcher nearly as much, due to the limited information that is available and the fact development takes precedence over wins and losses.

So what confuses me isn't so much what he did in the minors - how is preparation even remotely voluntary in the Majors? Particularly in the case of a young player, wouldn't he just be told to do it, and if he didn't, demoted immediately? It's the back and forth aspect that makes no sense to me.

I mean, it would be one thing if he was doing well. But he's been bad for his entire MLB career. And if there are these professionalism questions, that makes the lack of off-season attention to the OF even worse... gross incompetence is an understatement.

19. These 2 users like drivlikejehu's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (05-15-2014), Sconnie (05-15-2014)

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 540 Times in 350 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Isn't this just greasing the skids for his demotion? Maybe, there's a bit of face-saving to be had for both the Twins and Hicks. "He needs to be more dedicated" or something like that might be easier to swallow than he needs to hit a curve ball and swing at strikes.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Again Antony does this kind of nonsense. Gardenhire's comments are fine. Antony is another issue.

22. These 2 users like Shane Wahl's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

clutterheart (05-15-2014), JB_Iowa (05-15-2014)

Senior Member MVP
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    Isn't this just greasing the skids for his demotion? Maybe, there's a bit of face-saving to be had for both the Twins and Hicks. "He needs to be more dedicated" or something like that might be easier to swallow than he needs to hit a curve ball and swing at strikes.
    I don't see how this is face saving. When they finally admit he is not a switch hitter, that will be face saving.....
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 214 Times in 100 Posts
    None of this would be necessary if the Twins hadn't painted themselves into a corner regarding their center field situation.

Hicks should have been sent to AAA weeks ago with instructions about what he needed to work on to be called back up.

25. These 3 users like Boom Boom's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

halfchest (05-15-2014), mike wants wins (05-15-2014), Winston Smith (05-15-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts
    I'm sure they talked about it with him in the minors. The links at twinkietown show that it was a known issue then. But at the same time, if a guy is getting by on less work but still putting up a .844 OPS in CF while being over 2 years younger than the avg age of a AA league, the results might have masked the preparation effort.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast