Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Article: How Do You Like Chris Parmelee Now?

Twitter
    @ParkerHageman
    Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: How Do You Like Chris Parmelee Now?

Liked 397 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Again, great stuff Parker. I hope Chris can continue to adapt and prove his readiness

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 44 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Good article, Parker. Thanks.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
    Hopefully this is the break through we all have been waiting for.

Junior Member Rookie
    Twitter
    @daanderson20
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Is the leg lift Brunansky-influenced? He played with Puck, ya know.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Kirby_Waved_At_Me's Avatar
    Liked 164 Times in 85 Posts
    Cool stuff as always.
    I imagine that he was thinking "How do ya like 'MELEE NOW?" after that homer yesterday.

Is there post in the future for either Hicks or Kubel? They seem to have had the opposite trend this year compared to Parmelee and, say Suzuki...
    Last edited by Kirby_Waved_At_Me; 05-16-2014 at 08:51 AM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 320 Times in 202 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ultimately, with $242,200 of salary on the line to stay with the Twins, Parmelee accepted his reassignment to Rochester and went to work improving his offense.
    More accurately, Parmelee was simply reassigned to Rochester. As it was his first time being outrighted, he did not have a choice in the matter. (I'll never understand why they still say he "accepted" a decision he had no choice in! I guess, maybe he accepted it more philosophically/emotionally, as in "came to terms with" rather than approved...?)

Diamond, having been outrighted previously in his career, was given a true choice whether to accept the assignment or become a free agent. (Question: would Diamond still have received his ~$280k split contract salary if he had declined the assignment? Or ParmeIee if he had simply been released? I know veterans like Pelfrey still get paid regardless, not sure if it is a different set of guarantees or lack thereof for pre-arb, split-contract guys.)

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    In 2013 and during spring training, Parmelee had changed his swing from the previous year. What Parmelee demonstrated last year was a more contact-oriented approach in his swing,
    Was there a reason for this change? If it was contact, it failed pretty badly, no? He struck out as much as ever in 2013 (although frankly, his 2013 results were pretty similar to his 2012 MLB results, some of which came between very successful AAA stops -- do you have any GIFs of his 2012 swings, at AAA/MLB?).

I should add, great article and analysis as always. When the Twins try to hire you away, at least give TD a chance to match the salary!

Twitter
    @ParkerHageman
    Blog Entries
    More accurately, Parmelee was simply reassigned to Rochester.
    Right, he didn't have a choice in the matter. Let's just say I meant he accepted his reassignment in the metaphysical sense.

Question: would Diamond still have received his ~$280k split contract salary if he had declined the assignment? Or Parmelee if he had simply been released?
    In Diamond's case, he would have forfeited his salary if he did not accept. That was the big deal with his 48-hour decision window -- hard to see him declining that amount for a much smaller paycheck somewhere else.

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Parker Hageman View Post
    In Diamond's case, he would have forfeited his salary if he did not accept. That was the big deal with his 48-hour decision window -- hard to see him declining that amount for a much smaller paycheck somewhere else.
    Thanks Parker! There is indeed a big difference between $280k and a normal AAA salary. Given Diamond's performance thus far, I also wonder if that $280k is fully guaranteed, even if he is released? (Sorry for going off-topic!)

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 662 Times in 374 Posts
    I've never got off the bandwagon with this guy and I really hope he proves he's ready to be part of the future this year. Love the adjustment they made so that he can drive the ball better. The results so far are very encouraging.

Also, and this is off topic, but my goodness did that Anthony quote about taking too many first pitches just drive me up the wall. Parmelee needed to drive the ball more, but what Anthony said about him basically applies to our star player more than anyone else. (And I don't even agree totally with that criticism for Mauer either, just a poor way to phrase that criticism on every level)

12. This user likes TheLeviathan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (05-16-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 123 Times in 89 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Great analysis. This is a very timely article.

1. We have to hope that this is a Dozier-esque kind of adjustment.
    2. I agree mightily with Levi's comment about Antony.
    3. How on earth did he go SO LONG with the toe tap????????????? Is there no Parker equivalent in the Twins organization??

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spycake View Post
    Was there a reason for this change? If it was contact, it failed pretty badly, no? He struck out as much as ever in 2013 (although frankly, his 2013 results were pretty similar to his 2012 MLB results, some of which came between very successful AAA stops -- do you have any GIFs of his 2012 swings, at AAA/MLB?).

I should add, great article and analysis as always. When the Twins try to hire you away, at least give TD a chance to match the salary!
    Where's the LIKE button?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post

3. How on earth did he go SO LONG with the toe tap????????????? Is there no Parker equivalent in the Twins organization??
    Agreed on all

How does a hitter go about changing his hitting mechanics? My assumption is (Frequently) the subject is broached by coaching staff, the player gets directed to a coach with film and stills much like Parker's, and then comparisons are made to other more successful players to emulate, then more film and BP, the repeat.

my assumption is, Joe is the best hitter in baseball and Parms has been struggling and shows a similar skillset to Joe, let's coach Parms into a higher contact more patient approach like Joe.

it seems like Brunansky and Molitor have had a profound impact on the team in a fairly short amount of time, and the shift of focus from contact hitting focus to power hitting focus with Parms may be more evidence of it.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 378 Times in 232 Posts

Perhaps there is now in Paul Molitor.

Twitter
    @ParkerHageman
    Blog Entries
    When I talked to Tom Brunansky last year in regards to how he makes changes, he said he prefers hitters get a "feel" rather than a "look".

“A lot of that goes to just the feel. And that’s what hitting is anyways. Like anytime you play the game – it’s feel. You want guys to not really dwell on what they look at, it’s what they feel. And feel is easy to replicate, the look is tough. You can see something that looks like it needs a mechanical change in the swing and we’ll go try to implement it in the cage or on the field with the rest of the team, but it is feel that is easy to replicate and take that back into a game.”
    via: http://twinsdaily.com/content.php/17...el-for-the-job

I think in Parmelee's case, his 2013 was about feel -- he was more comfortable with that and used it more in the games.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 123 Times in 89 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Feeling and thinking. I get mad at my students when they say "I feel that" instead of what they should say which is "I think that." Baseball is the thinking game and video analysis like this can enhance the thinking approach and preparation to the game. Eeesh!

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 488 Times in 285 Posts
    Feeling and thinking. I get mad at my students when they say "I feel that" instead of what they should say which is "I think that."
    So you're this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd7FixvoKBw
    (link to page is safe; video not quite SFW/language)
    Last edited by Hosken Bombo Disco; 05-16-2014 at 01:19 PM.

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 488 Times in 285 Posts
    Parmelee, in his week back in MLB, has almost as many home runs as the rest of the outfielders combined. Good to have him back.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosken Bombo Disco View Post
    Parmelee, in his week back in MLB, has almost as many home runs as the rest of the outfielders combined. Good to have him back.
    And yet another player who didn't find much difficulty in reaching the TF right field seats. How "unfair" is this park for lefties, really?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast