Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Article: Twins Minor League Report (5/15): Alex Meyer Shines Again

Article: Twins Minor League Report (5/15): Alex Meyer Shines Again

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 122 Times in 77 Posts
    Pelfrey goes tonight, that should be interesting.

Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Whats up with Felix Jorge? Any insight to the youngsters struggles? 8 home runs not getting strike outs and is very hittable.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Pedro Florimon-

25 major league games....1 error

7 minor league games....5 errors

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 40 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Halsey Hall View Post
    Pelfrey goes tonight, that should be interesting.
    Said nobody, ever.

6. This user likes DJL44's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

PseudoSABR (05-16-2014)

Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As with the other poster, kinda wondering what's up with Felix.

If he doesn't figure it out sooner than later, when Lewis Thorpe graduates in a few weeks he'll likely swap places with him at EST.

Quote Originally Posted by clutterheart View Post
    Whats up with Felix Jorge? Any insight to the youngsters struggles? 8 home runs not getting strike outs and is very hittable.
    I'll reach out to Jim Crikket, he knows all with the Kernels.

Senior Member Double-A SgtSchmidt11's Avatar
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Is it just me, or does it seem like every demoted Twin instantly does awesome in AAA this year?

Liked 42 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Pedro Florimon-

25 major league games....1 error

7 minor league games....5 errors
    I didn't see all the games, of course, but it makes me wonder a bit. I feel that the official scorers in MLB have turned into charity workers when it comes to scoring fielding, with the charity going to the fielder and batter, and not the pitcher, who takes the brunt of the "gifts" to the fielders and batters. I always feel that if a professional baseball player can get his glove on the ball (of should have gotten his glove on the ball), that it is an error. I see so many balls in play that I think are obvious errors scored hits these days.

Liked 42 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtSchmidt11 View Post
    Is it just me, or does it seem like every demoted Twin instantly does awesome in AAA this year?
    Not Florimon.

Senior Member Triple-A Paul Pleiss's Avatar
    Twitter
    @baseballpirate
    Liked 97 Times in 66 Posts
    Blog Entries

Say what?

I think you're looking at something different than the rest of us. A good day from Arcia and Herrmann does not correlate to everyone who gets sent down doing awesome. Have you heard of Pedro Florimon?

Twitter
    @JimCrikket
    Liked 98 Times in 46 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric R Pleiss View Post
    I'll reach out to Jim Crikket, he knows all with the Kernels.
    I don't know all, but I've got faking it down to an art form.

I've seen Jorge pitch a few times. I see talent there and he's young (a couple years under the league average), so I'm not overly concerned. I can't say for sure without checking a few boxscores, but my recollection is that he tends to give up a big inning in most, if not all, of his starts (as the number of HRs would indicate).

I get tired of using weather as an excuse for some of these guys' performances so far (and to be clear, nobody in the clubhouse has ever used it as an excuse in my presence), but it's mid May and we're still wearing winter coats to the ballgames.

I'm still in the mode of giving credit to those guys who seem to be overcoming the elements and performing well, while trying not to hold poor performances against guys like Jorge that have struggled so far. I want to see how he does in normal baseball weather before I get too worked up.

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for
    MetroSportsReport.comwhile my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Senior Member Double-A SgtSchmidt11's Avatar
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pleiss View Post
    I think you're looking at something different than the rest of us. A good day from Arcia and Herrmann does not correlate to everyone who gets sent down doing awesome. Have you heard of Pedro Florimon?
    When a guy is sent down for sucking ala Herrmann, Parmelee, Florimon it seems to me they should really struggle for a while before getting better, not instantly raking. Even 1/3 seems excessive to me, and that is now 2/3 Twins doing well in AAA despite struggling in the majors.

When a guy is sent down for sucking ala Herrmann, Parmelee, Florimon it seems to me they should really struggle for a while before getting better, not instantly raking. Even 1/3 seems excessive to me, and that is now 2/3 Twins doing well in AAA despite struggling in the majors.
    I don't know that I would buy into that. They were with the Twins because they showed an ability to succeed above the Minor League level. In the case of Parmelee, his career AAA line is very impressive, so nothing to be too excited about here. But with the other two, they were probably stretched and challenged up in the Big leagues, and they made changes and learned and grew. Now they're facing lesser talent, have a few new tricks/approaches, and put that into play.

With Florimon's D, certainly you have to think there is some lack of focus going on there, and that should be addressed by the coaching staff. The guy has been a MLB regular for the better part of two years, he struggled big time with the stick most of the last two years, especially this year, and he's probably sulking a bit in AAA, taking some plays off, or not being in the right mindset.

I don't think that's an excuse for Florimon, or the full reason for success at the plate, but I think there is a lot more to going down to AAA than just changing jerseys.