Thread: Twins sign BA's Indy League MVP

Owner Big-Leaguer Parker Hageman's Avatar
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries

Twins sign BA's Indy League MVP

The Twins have signed 28-year-old Chris Colabello to a minor league deal. Colabello, a corner infielder for Worcester of the Can-Am League, hit .348/.410/.600 with 20 home runs in 412 plate appearances. That performance earned Colabello Baseball America's title of Indy League MVP.

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    No risk, low reward, but why not? I like this signing, giving a guy a shot. The Twins did well last year with a late Can-Am League signing when they added LHP Andrew Albers. I'm sure they'll throw him into the mix in New Britain and see what happens.

Like Seth said, it's a low risk signing. He's right handed, so he presumably handles southpaws well. That's a plus. 1 K in every 7.8 plate appearances also stands out.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=colabe001chr

Liked 105 Times in 57 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Huh. He's always been in indy leagues? Never in an organization? And he's a hitter? I can't think of a real success story like that. Obviously, it doesn't hurt anything, but that might be a testement to how thin the Twins are at first base in their system, more than any chance this guy has.

Blog Entries
    No, these stories don't typically wind up with a big league promotion, and I'm sure this signing isn't done with the intent of him getting to play in Target Field... A certain Phillies catcher got to the big leagues after spending 5-6 years in independent ball.

As for the 1B depth, I don't know that is says anything about that. With the Twins, you've got Morneau (and Hughes can play there). You've go Parmelee waiting in the wings with Aaron Bates and Steve Pearce there as well. At AA, right now the only guy is Nate Hanson, unless they were to move an Oswaldo Arcia or someone there part-time. So, he just kind of fits in there as a 1B/DH. Also, I would assume that at least Pearce may have an opt-out in his minor league deal, so there could be another opening on June 1 or whatever.

Blog Entries
    Well, I disagree about the depth thing. After Parmelee, there is basically a steep drop off to whoever is next in terms of prospect status. This might be just finding someone to help out at AA for the year.

Blog Entries
    Someone blogged the Twins organizational depth at every position over the last three weeks. I'd have to look back at that to see where the prospects are.

Blog Entries
    You had Gonzales listed as 2nd, & he didn't make the top 50 at Twinkietown. I thnk it's safe to say that after Parmelee, there's a pretty good drop off. :-)

Blog Entries
    I'm pretty sure Gonzalez wasn't in my Top 30 either... I do think that they have several guys who could step up to the Twins if needed. Parmelee (Nick may disagree, but I'll continue to say he) can be adequate for a number of years with some more potential to improve. Pearce and Bates can be short-term options (although Hughes/Plouffe may be just as good). But you're right, there aren't a lot of good 1B prospects in the minors... although some say Sano will eventually be a 1B.

Blog Entries
    People ask me a lot why I enjoy following the minor leagues. Is it about the top prospects? Sure. But it's also about guys like Chris Colabello who just love the game and want a chance. Tom Powers wrote a really nice article about the 28-year-old who is in his first spring training with an MLB affiliate. http://www.twincities.com/twins/ci_2...s-colabello-is

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Highabove's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
    There are independent league success story's such as Chris Coste and Saint Paul Saints Alumni Kevin Millar.
    Last edited by Highabove; 03-11-2012 at 07:29 PM.

Confused

Why does this 6 week-old article appear at the top suddenly of Twins Daily? I find some aspects of Twins Daily confusing. Rationale?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ScrapTheNickname View Post
    Why does this 6 week-old article appear at the top suddenly of Twins Daily? I find some aspects of Twins Daily confusing. Rationale?
    Go up to the message from 9:24 a.m. today... there is a new article on him that was put in the same thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Go up to the message from 9:24 a.m. today... there is a new article on him that was put in the same thread.
    Thanks for replying Seth. I now see how this "old" story came up because you commented on it yesterday; however, that doesn't mean it's not confusing! (Oh well, a lot of things are confusing so I will quote the Beatles and let it be.).