Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 75

Thread: Herrmann in: Tonkin out

  1. #41
    Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Posts
    2,271
    Like
    241
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    A cup of coffee for Vargas wouldn't have been a bad idea. He could function as a pinch hitter and be an upgrade over Herrmann, but in the end, I'm not sure this is really going to have much of an impact either way.

    I suspect Colabello is going to get optioned on Saturday for Arcia or sooner for Willingham, and Herrmann will get returned to the minors as soon as the other is ready.
    I'm not a fan of calling guys up from AA for short-term bench assignments. If he's ready to skip a level, he's good enough to start at the DH position. I don't think that's the case. With Willingham and Arcia a week away, it makes sense to use Hermann as filler. He'll be a Red Wing again before the month is out.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

  2. #42
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer Kirby_Waved_At_Me's Avatar
    Posts
    566
    Like
    58
    Liked 164 Times in 85 Posts
    The good news is that the Twins have reduced the pitching staff down to 12!

    Arcia will probably be taking Herrmann's place soon. Willingham will come back soon as well, and he'll take over for , uh, Colabello? And when Fuld returns, he'll be taking either Santana or NuŮez's spot on the 25. Probably Santana.

    As others mentioned, there was really only one move available to add a position player since everyone else on the 40-Man is either a prospect (Vargas, Kepler, Polanco), rehabbing (Fuld/Hammer/Arcia), or Eric Fryer.

    I suppose they could have called up Florimon again, but really, there was little choice in the matter. Herrmann or make no moves and just wait for one of Arcia/Hammer/Fuld to be ready.

  3. #43
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    600
    Like
    100
    Liked 287 Times in 145 Posts
    Can we get some sort of TD "Aricia is eligible to come up" countdown clock?

  4. This user likes Beezer07's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    mike wants wins (05-19-2014)

  5. #44
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,284
    Like
    252
    Liked 288 Times in 150 Posts
    As long as Hermann is a placeholder for Arcia, this is a no-brainer. If he hits like crazy (which probably wouldn't last, but why not ride it) either Sanata or Nunez could be sent down when Arcia's ready. Santana's played a lot better than I expected, but as many others have said he clearly needs more work, and more instruction.

  6. #45
    Twins News Team MVP
    Posts
    6,726
    Like
    870
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    I'm not a fan of calling guys up from AA for short-term bench assignments. If he's ready to skip a level, he's good enough to start at the DH position. I don't think that's the case. With Willingham and Arcia a week away, it makes sense to use Hermann as filler. He'll be a Red Wing again before the month is out.
    For 2 games in San Diego, then yes, it makes sense, provided Hammer can join the team in San Francisco. But Hermann's value to the big club is less than filler, if not for Florimon, he was literally the worst hitter in all of baseball while he was up previously, and was pretty bad in the OF, as well. And finally, I don't want him called up because it invites Gardy to consider continuing the 3-catcher boondoggle roster should he keep the 12 pitcher alignment after next Sunday.

    Vargas might fail spectacularly, but it does nothing to hurt his future development in only 5 games on the roster, and it gives the Twins a better chance to gain something from the PH role, certainly over the likes of Hermann.
    Last edited by jokin; 05-19-2014 at 11:10 AM.

  7. #46
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,597
    Like
    64
    Liked 377 Times in 232 Posts
    There weren't many options. The move is fine I guess but are we certain that Herrmann is a better pinch hitter than Tonkin?

  8. These 3 users like nicksaviking's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    LaBombo (05-19-2014), mike wants wins (05-19-2014), Willihammer (05-19-2014)

  9. #47
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    132
    Like
    26
    Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    There weren't many options. The move is fine I guess but are we certain that Herrmann is a better pinch hitter than Tonkin?
    Good one!!! It made the time slogging thru this bitching about the 25th spot on the roster worth it!!!

  10. This user likes Blackjack's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    WLFINN (05-19-2014)

  11. #48
    Twins News Team MVP
    Posts
    6,726
    Like
    870
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackjack View Post
    Good one!!! It made the time slogging thru this bitching about the 25th spot on the roster worth it!!!
    Yeah, because it hasn't already been proven over and over this season that the choice of who the 25th man is actually has consequences attached to it.

  12. #49
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,124
    Like
    100
    Liked 271 Times in 195 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Phew, almost had a RP from the minors on the roster......but you can't be one of the oldest teams in the games by using your minors. Very important to have 35 year old RP on the roster.......
    Gardy managing our roster and in game moves reminds me of when I tried teaching my five year old how to play monopoly. Of course things get more interesting in NL games, more ways for him to screw it up.

    In 17 games in AAA, Arcia is hitting .316, 3 HR, .954 OPS. Sure glad we didn't invite him to join us.
    Last edited by tobi0040; 05-19-2014 at 11:56 AM.

  13. #50
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    600
    Like
    100
    Liked 287 Times in 145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackjack View Post
    Good one!!! It made the time slogging thru this bitching about the 25th spot on the roster worth it!!!
    Just FYI, there wasn't a requirement that you read this thread.

  14. This user likes Beezer07's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    snepp (05-19-2014)

  15. #51
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    600
    Like
    100
    Liked 287 Times in 145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tobi0040 View Post
    Gardy managing our roster and in game moves reminds me of when I tried teaching my five year old how to play monopoly. Of course things get more interesting in NL games, more ways for him to screw it up.

    In 17 games in AAA, Arcia is hitting .316, 3 HR, .954 OPS. Sure glad we didn't invite him to join us.
    Isn't Arcia still not permitted to join the Twins yet?

  16. #52
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    600
    Like
    100
    Liked 287 Times in 145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tobi0040 View Post
    Gardy managing our roster and in game moves reminds me of when I tried teaching my five year old how to play monopoly. Of course things get more interesting in NL games, more ways for him to screw it up.

    In 17 games in AAA, Arcia is hitting .316, 3 HR, .954 OPS. Sure glad we didn't invite him to join us.
    To answer my own question, Arcia is not eligible to come up to the Twins until 10 days after he was optioned. That should be this Saturday...so might want to ease up on the sarcastic blasting of roster decisions.

  17. #53
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer Kirby_Waved_At_Me's Avatar
    Posts
    566
    Like
    58
    Liked 164 Times in 85 Posts
    yeah - earliest he can come back is 10 days after he came off the disabled list and was optioned to AAA.

  18. #54
    Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Posts
    8,676
    Like
    2,651
    Liked 3,295 Times in 1,752 Posts
    Blog Entries
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by Beezer07 View Post
    Can we get some sort of TD "Aricia is eligible to come up" countdown clock?
    Smalley.jpg

    Stolen from snepp's Countdown to Opening Day.

  19. These 3 users like ashburyjohn's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    Beezer07 (05-19-2014), kab21 (05-19-2014), snepp (05-19-2014)

  20. #55
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,597
    Like
    64
    Liked 377 Times in 232 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    I could barely look away from the Smalley bedroom eyes to read the number on his jersey.

    I'm going to assume he thought he was getting his picture taken for Tiger Beat and not for a baseball card, though I don't know that that sultary stare was appropriate for either audience.

  21. This user likes nicksaviking's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    ashburyjohn (05-19-2014)

  22. #56
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,616
    Like
    3
    Liked 320 Times in 202 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Beezer07 View Post
    To answer my own question, Arcia is not eligible to come up to the Twins until 10 days after he was optioned. That should be this Saturday...so might want to ease up on the sarcastic blasting of roster decisions.
    To be fair, that 10 day rule is only an issue now because the Twins decided to option Arcia a few days ago, with full knowledge of our upcoming schedule. (Actually, we could have activated and optioned Arcia four days earlier, keeping him in AAA but making him eligible to return tomorrow.)

    In some ways, shouldn't we be less likely to need a 3rd string catcher in an NL park? One of Suzuki and Pinto will be on the bench for at least the first 5-6 innings of every game, probably longer if the game isn't real close. If we really want to keep them on the field after pinch hitting, putting them into LF or RF probably wouldn't be the worst corner OF defense move we make this season (or even this week).

  23. These 2 users like spycake's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    cmathewson (05-19-2014), LaBombo (05-19-2014)

  24. #57
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    600
    Like
    100
    Liked 287 Times in 145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    This'll do just fine, thanks!

  25. #58
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    132
    Like
    26
    Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beezer07 View Post
    Just FYI, there wasn't a requirement that you read this thread.
    It almost gets humorous after awhile, all the angst. I guess I'll trust the people that have been in the business for 25+ years. They want to win too. Herrmann went down, played hard, did well, itís a good example for other players that get sent down. Plus in the past the Twins have been guilty of bringing players off the DL without enough games in the minors to be ready and they go 1 for 20 when they get back. Better to have Arcia prove heís healthy AND prove he has his swing back. An extra week or three of rehab/pounding the ball in Rochester may actually help him.

  26. #59
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    498
    Like
    2
    Liked 80 Times in 50 Posts
    Hermann doesn't belong anywhere near an MLB roster. But I don't mind if Arcia is down there for a short period to make sure he is 100%.

  27. #60
    Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Posts
    2,271
    Like
    241
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by spycake View Post
    To be fair, that 10 day rule is only an issue now because the Twins decided to option Arcia a few days ago, with full knowledge of our upcoming schedule. (Actually, we could have activated and optioned Arcia four days earlier, keeping him in AAA but making him eligible to return tomorrow.)

    In some ways, shouldn't we be less likely to need a 3rd string catcher in an NL park? One of Suzuki and Pinto will be on the bench for at least the first 5-6 innings of every game, probably longer if the game isn't real close. If we really want to keep them on the field after pinch hitting, putting them into LF or RF probably wouldn't be the worst corner OF defense move we make this season (or even this week).
    I agree with this. The logical thing to do was to activate him and option him earlier, if you knew you needed to option him, but you would need his bat in NL parks. They just blew that decision.

    It reminds me of the Bartlett retirement. We had to DFA Mastro while we waited for the Bartlett retirement papers to be processed. Of course, they could have submitted them as soon as Bartlett announced his retirement. But they gave him a chance to sleep on it and waited two extra days to file the papers. Once they knew they needed a spot for Fuld, they could have DFAd Bartlett prior to retirement rather than risking losing the only center field depth they had above A ball. These basic mistakes never happened until Antony took over.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

  28. This user likes cmathewson's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    LaBombo (05-19-2014)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.