Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Article: The Big Switch: Brian Dozier

  1. #1
    The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Posts
    1,681
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Like
    6
    Liked 85 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    322

    Article: The Big Switch: Brian Dozier


  2. This user likes Nick Nelson's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    glunn (05-18-2014)

  3. #2
    Dozier is a big piece of the World Series Championship puzzle. Two years Buxton, Sano, Meyers, ect. will be banging on the door!!

  4. #3
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    203
    Like
    8
    Liked 43 Times in 27 Posts
    I'm not sure about this but I read his batted ball distance is about the same as last year so far so the homerun pace will come down but more doubles will arise.

  5. This user likes drock2190's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    glunn (05-18-2014)

  6. #4
    Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Posts
    3,574
    Like
    198
    Liked 532 Times in 346 Posts
    Blog Entries
    32
    29 homers in 189 games is good. 28 in about 155 is much better and Dozier has done that. There is a nice article on Dozier in the PP. It points out when the power stroke started and where Dozier ranks in home runs in the last 51 weeks. The transformation has been incredible.

  7. #5
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    644
    Like
    5
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

  8. #6
    Twins News Team MVP
    Posts
    6,727
    Like
    870
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by drock2190 View Post
    I'm not sure about this but I read his batted ball distance is about the same as last year so far so the homerun pace will come down but more doubles will arise.
    As will his warning track outs. Topping 18 HRs from last year seems likely, 25-28 is not out of the realm of possibility, as there are still a lot of bad pitching staffs and warm weather coming....sure to help him in his quest, will be Mauer when Joe finally starts hitting Mauer-like right behind him.
    Last edited by jokin; 05-19-2014 at 12:15 PM.

  9. #7
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    340
    Like
    124
    Liked 26 Times in 20 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4
    Give Escobar a shot at leading off, leave Mauer at 2, and move Dozier to 3?

  10. #8
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    600
    Like
    100
    Liked 287 Times in 145 Posts
    I would much rather that Dozier stay where he is and the Twins come up with a legitimate 3rd, 4th, and 5th offensive options on the team. He's fast, can steal a base, runs the bases well, and gets on base at a good clip. All of those are things you want in a leadoff guy. If the bottom of the order hadn't hit .250 (when you ADD the BAs together) for the first month of the season, he wouldn't be 4th on his own team in RBIs

  11. #9
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    302
    Like
    166
    Liked 30 Times in 24 Posts
    Escobar is a little too much of a free-swinger for Gardy to put him in the leadoff spot.

  12. #10
    Junior Member Rookie
    Posts
    29
    Like
    12
    Liked 24 Times in 10 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Personally, I'd leave him at the lead-off spot. His base stealing ability would be diminished at #3. He reminds me a "bit" like Ricky Henderson who had tremendous ability to swipe bases but also put the ball in the seats. Dozier isn't in the same league as Henderson but certainly has some of the same tools.
    Last edited by brvama; 05-19-2014 at 09:52 AM. Reason: spelling

  13. #11
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    129
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I would guess part of the reason so many of his homers are solo is because he gets better pitches to drive when no one is on base.

  14. #12
    I wish Hicks made better contact, because then he'd be a great leadoff guy. [sigh]

  15. #13
    Owner MVP Seth Stohs's Avatar
    Posts
    6,500
    Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Like
    67
    Liked 372 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by tjsyam921 View Post
    I would guess part of the reason so many of his homers are solo is because he gets better pitches to drive when no one is on base.
    Completely agree. Of course pitchers/catchers are going to pitch differently with runners on base. That said, I think two of his last three have been 3-run shots, so a good hitter is still going to take advantage of a mistake.

    I'm in agreement that they should just leave Dozier at leadoff for now. If Escobar can keep up what he's doing for another week or two, then maybe make that move. Also, Hicks has had a nice 3-4 game stretch. I agree that he'd be an ideal leadoff candidate with his OBP. Maybe having Mauer behind him (as opposed to Florimon/escobar/etc) will give him some more pitches to hit.

    But to go with the theme, it was about 1 year ago in a week that Dozier made a big switch in his approach and mechanics and he's been as good as any 2B in the game since then... or at least right up there with Cano, Kipnis and Pedroia.

  16. #14
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    219
    Like
    43
    Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Completely agree. Of course pitchers/catchers are going to pitch differently with runners on base. That said, I think two of his last three have been 3-run shots, so a good hitter is still going to take advantage of a mistake.

    I'm in agreement that they should just leave Dozier at leadoff for now. If Escobar can keep up what he's doing for another week or two, then maybe make that move. Also, Hicks has had a nice 3-4 game stretch. I agree that he'd be an ideal leadoff candidate with his OBP. Maybe having Mauer behind him (as opposed to Florimon/escobar/etc) will give him some more pitches to hit.

    But to go with the theme, it was about 1 year ago in a week that Dozier made a big switch in his approach and mechanics and he's been as good as any 2B in the game since then... or at least right up there with Cano, Kipnis and Pedroia.
    I agree with the thought about Escobar, if in another week or two he is still hitting good, make the move. With Hicks, I believe the Twins are looking for a solid month or two from him before placing him back in the pressure situation he would be in as lead off hitter.

    I must say it is nice to say we have a 2nd baseman who can be spoken of in the same sentence as Cano, Kipnis, and Pedroia. How long has it been since the Twins had an elite 2nd baseman? Knoblauch?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.