Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Article: Twins Minor League Report (5/18): Mauer Ejected, Streaks End

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Twins Minor League Report (5/18): Mauer Ejected, Streaks End

Look at Vargas continue to crush! I'm so excited for this guy to make it to the bigs. Taking a quick look at his milb #'s, his history would suggest continued success as he has hit above 300 in each season except last at FM (and 35 games in the GCL). And, unlike other of our switch-hitting friends, is hitting 300+ from both sides. I hope he continues to rake and prop up that NB lineup.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    In other words, he appears to finally be healed and ready to return to the big league club.
    So...why isn't he up then? I am not clear why Herrmann would be up while a superior hitter sits at AAA.

I've see no quotes that say why the team is leaving Arcia down at AAA. Any info?

Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Happy to see Walker driving the ball lately. He had a base clearing 3 RBI double two nights ago. He has been better lately with the bases loaded. He hit over .700 last year with bases loaded. Its just nice to see his swing returning slowly. 11 RBI in the last 4 games isn't bad either. 2-4 with 5 RBI last night to seal the game was fun to read.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 827 Times in 520 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by clutterheart View Post
    So...why isn't he up then? I am not clear why Herrmann would be up while a superior hitter sits at AAA.

I've see no quotes that say why the team is leaving Arcia down at AAA. Any info?

He has to remain in the minors for (I think) 15 days before he can be called up. It's a rule with exercising an option.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    He has to remain in the minors for (I think) 15 days before he can be called up. It's a rule with exercising an option.
    I think it's 10 days unless he's replacing an injured player.

7. This user likes gunnarthor's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

diehardtwinsfan (05-19-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    I think it's 10 days unless he's replacing an injured player.
    Gunnarthor is correct. 10 days unless he is an injury replacement.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    It's 10 days unless there's an injury, and that would be Saturday. I think the stated plan to have him up by Memorial Day makes the most sense.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by benji21 View Post
    Look at Vargas continue to crush! I'm so excited for this guy to make it to the bigs. Taking a quick look at his milb #'s, his history would suggest continued success as he has hit above 300 in each season except last at FM (and 35 games in the GCL). And, unlike other of our switch-hitting friends, is hitting 300+ from both sides. I hope he continues to rake and prop up that NB lineup.
    There are certainly question marks about Vargas, but what impresses me the most is his ability to improve. He started slow for 3 weeks, and now he's being dominant. He's found an ability to adjust. he did it in Beloit after teams adjusted to him. He struggled last year in Ft. Myers after Rosario and Sano were promoted, but he found a way to adjust.

And, his power is right up there with Sano and Walker.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 867 Times in 557 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    There are certainly question marks about Vargas, but what impresses me the most is his ability to improve. He started slow for 3 weeks, and now he's being dominant. He's found an ability to adjust. he did it in Beloit after teams adjusted to him. He struggled last year in Ft. Myers after Rosario and Sano were promoted, but he found a way to adjust.

And, his power is right up there with Sano and Walker.
    And unlike Sano and Walker, this recent 30-day power outbreak has happened with a precipitous drop in his K%, just over 10% (career lows) with a commensurate rise in BB%. He's showing himself to be a very impressive student of the game at the plate, and most incredibly (as you noted), he's doing it without much plate protection to speak of in New Britain.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 31 Times in 25 Posts
    One thing I LOVE about Polanco is his ability to compartmentalize his defensive struggles from hindering his offense. I am sure he is mentally tough, but I would be willing to bet Dougie M's influence is VERY positive and is encouraging him through his struggles (not many as of late). Gardy would have thrown him under the bus numerous times by now.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Siehbiscuit View Post
    One thing I LOVE about Polanco is his ability to compartmentalize his defensive struggles from hindering his offense. I am sure he is mentally tough, but I would be willing to bet Dougie M's influence is VERY positive and is encouraging him through his struggles (not many as of late). Gardy would have thrown him under the bus numerous times by now.
    You nailed it- this is a really good post at some special things developing down at the lower levels. Some have been triumphantly decrying Polanco's "apparent" recent drop in production as the calendar turned to May, with an "I told you so". They have failed to note that, with his hit today, he has now hit safely in all 16 games this month. And all of his hitting averages, from both sides of the plate, save a slight drop in his SLG from the left side, are essentially very close to his stellar April numbers.

And now Adam Brett Walker and Jose Berrios are starting to assert themselves. Even Levi Michael had awakened from after-thought status before he went to the DL.

And you're absolutely right about Gardy, at face value, I don't think he'll be the right manager for Polanco, but look at how strongly Dozier came back after falling on his face in 2012. Perhaps Polanco is showing that he too, is made of sterner stuff (a lesser man would have melted into a tub of goo after his SS disasters in April).

And who knows, Dougie Fresh may end up being his big league manager in the long run. I like whatever it is he's doing in FtM with all of these elite prospects- I've written about it before, he was a high school teammate of ARod, so perhaps his familiarity with HOF level guys in their developing years is a helpful attribute.

Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    \I've written about it before, he was a high school teammate of ARod, so perhaps his familiarity with HOF level guys in their developing years is a helpful attribute.
    Please, let's not mention this again.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Siehbiscuit View Post
    We don't know that... If Gardy was managing in Hi-A, he would also understand that the errors are learning opportunities. And, if Mientkiewicz was managing the Twins, he would certainly expect better defense from any of his fielders. I think the managerial styles and personalities of Gardenhire and Mientkiewicz are pretty closely aligned.

16. These 2 users like Seth Stohs's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

gunnarthor (05-19-2014), SD Buhr (05-19-2014)

Twitter
    @JimCrikket
    Liked 105 Times in 51 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Have to admit though, the idea of watching Gardy having to manage a bunch of young players at one of the Class A levels is entertaining to envision.

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for
    MetroSportsReport.comwhile my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    We don't know that... If Gardy was managing in Hi-A, he would also understand that the errors are learning opportunities. And, if Mientkiewicz was managing the Twins, he would certainly expect better defense from any of his fielders. I think the managerial styles and personalities of Gardenhire and Mientkiewicz are pretty closely aligned.

Maybe not as a High A manager, but "under the bus throwing" for young players is a Gardy specialty at the major league level.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
    A bit off topic, but...

One of the comments that completely blew my mind was that sometimes Hicks shows up at the park and doesn't know who is pitching that day! I would imagine that several people have suggested he take his craft a little more seriously. At the point he didn't take the hint, throwing him under the bus was all that was left.

Where is the kangaroo court when you need it?

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,308 Times in 1,755 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SD Buhr View Post
    Have to admit though, the idea of watching Gardy having to manage a bunch of young players at one of the Class A levels is entertaining to envision.
    I dunno - we might have made the same observation during Tom Kelly's reign in the Twin Cities, and he's turned out all right as a spring instructor with every indication he'd take a full season there in stride as well.