View Poll Results: Who would the Twins call up to take Justin Morneau's spot?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Aaron Bates

3 12.00%
  • Ray Chang

10 40.00%
  • Brian Dozier

6 24.00%
  • Darin Mastroianni

2 8.00%
  • Ben Revere

2 8.00%
  • Rene Tosoni

0 0%
  • Someone Else? Who?

2 8.00%

Thread: Morneau to DL

Liked 204 Times in 108 Posts
    Blog Entries

Morneau to DL

It sounds like the Twins will put Justin Morneau on the Disabled List on Monday. No word on who would be called up. Remember there is still room on the 40 man roster, so who do you think it will be?

My vote is Ray Chang because I think the team needs a backup infielder who can play all three positions. He's also hitting about .300.

Brian Dozier could get the call, but again, that would need to be in a full time role.

Could be Darin Mastroianni, who has hit well with the Red Wings, but the Twins have outfielders.

Aaron Bates hasn't hit a lot yet, but he had a solid big league camp and has big league time if the team feels the need to have a RH 1B to play along with Chris Parmelee (and Joe Mauer).

Could be Ben Revere or Rene Tosoni to play in the outfield, but both of them would need to play daily.

Who do you think?

Liked 321 Times in 191 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Regardless who gets called up, there is something to be said for this team, for yet another time, waiting to put a player in the DL and just end up playing short handed, esp. during a time in which they are short handed because they have 13 pitchers. Last season when that stuff was happening, it was attributed to Bill Smith. Ryan needs to get some heat for it this season...

Chang does make sense and it would be good to see him up. My vote was for Aaron Bates because he deserves it and he will be replacing a 1B/DH.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    The lack of improvement in handling the DL is one example of group think, and stagnation from refusing to bring in anyone with new ideas. I'd vote catcher, as Mauer moves to 1B.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
    Chang makes sense - I believe he can actually play all 4 IF positions

Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 1,261 Times in 753 Posts
    Blog Entries
    They probably could use a 14th pitcher, preferably one with backup catcher skillz.

Someone needs to take the heat with this goofy handling of the DL - why wasn't Morneau put on teh dl last week, when he felt it was bad enough to leave the team and travel back to MN for a checkup? No wonder the players on the field look like they are in a daze - their bosses don't have a clue about personnel decisions. Is there anyone in AA that we could call up to give Ryan-Gardy a bit of advice? Maybe the Twins need some new medical personnel. Just say'n

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I voted Chang, but that would make the most sense. It will probably be Revere because he's Gardy's boy. The catcher was already called up, get used to seeing him behind the plate.

I'm with Reusse, Sean Burroughs. (Never mind that vote for Darin Mastroianni​.)

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 136 Times in 96 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think they should go down to AA and promote Florimon. He's hitting very well there, has speed and a good glove. They need a backup IF and there are spots on the 40-man.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    The Twins have no deriction at all.

Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 1,261 Times in 753 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Their biggest need is a middle infielder, they have no one on the 40-man except Nishi, they have no one at all in the organization who is ready and as good as Luke Hughes as a backup (Dozier needs to play everyday, so he would mean pulling the plug on either Carroll or Casilla and I don't see that happening right now). So if they add someone like Chang to the 40-man just for the sake of doing something they will face the same dilemma (as with Hughes) if they need to take him off later. If they bring up an outfielder who is on the 40-man then Plouffe remains Gardy's heartburn backup in the infield. Dropping Hughes is looking more and more like a screwup to me. Bring back Bill Smith, I don't recall roster issues with him.

I'll vote for my adoptee Mastro since he does the least harm, being on the 40-man already.
    Last edited by ashburyjohn; 05-05-2012 at 08:19 PM.

Give Chang a shot...

Twins Daily Writer All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Liked 39 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd like to see Matt Carson get a shot. He's redundant when it comes to what he offers in the field, but he's a right-handed hitter with power. Let's see if his power plays at Target Field.

Liked 1,151 Times in 521 Posts
    An entire week with a 13 man pitching staff and a 24 man roster. Are they too cheap to DL. Morneau because they'd have to fly someone all the way to the west coast? Is this even a major league team anymore?

I think the Twins have been pretty bad at managing when to move players to the DL, but in this case I don't really mind the wait. Look at the guys people are talking about to replace him (I know Dozier got the call), but mentioning Bates, Florimon, Chang, etc... really are any of those guys going to help the Twins offense the way Morneau would if he's able to play healthy? The possible callups are so bad, I think the Twins were right to wait, it's not like these guys are going to be of much help anyway. Not worth the possible loss of Morneau for 10 days if he can play IMO. Even Dozier at this point isn't going to be much of an upgrade over Carroll or Valencia. I would have agreed if there was someone crushing in the AA or AAA that could have played OF-1B, but that guy doesn't exist. It is what it is.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    It sounds like the Twins will put Justin Morneau on the Disabled List on Monday. No word on who would be called up. Remember there is still room on the 40 man roster, so who do you think it will be?

My vote is Ray Chang because I think the team needs a backup infielder who can play all three positions. He's also hitting about .300.

Brian Dozier could get the call, but again, that would need to be in a full time role.

Could be Darin Mastroianni, who has hit well with the Red Wings, but the Twins have outfielders.

Aaron Bates hasn't hit a lot yet, but he had a solid big league camp and has big league time if the team feels the need to have a RH 1B to play along with Chris Parmelee (and Joe Mauer).

Could be Ben Revere or Rene Tosoni to play in the outfield, but both of them would need to play daily.

Who do you think?
    I'm confused. I thought it was going to be Dozier. Didn't they already do that? So confused . . .

Chang spent a tiny bit of time at first for the Boston (?) affiliate in AA (?) (not sure) in 2010, I think, so he could actually backup all four spots if absolutely needed (LH pitcher, for instance).

Also, wasn't Chang the guy Span mistook Nishioka for at the beginning of spring training last year? On principle, he should be called up just to make that funnier. Chang is better than Nishioka.

Blog Entries
    Is B-Dozy coming up for somebody else?

Quote Originally Posted by shanewahl View Post
    Is B-Dozy coming up for somebody else?
    I don't think so. I don't think it had been announced yet when Seth posted this.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by whydidnt View Post
    I don't think so. I don't think it had been announced yet when Seth posted this.
    Oh, duh. Note to self: look at the damn original post time.