Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Article: What to do with Kurt Suzuki?

Article: What to do with Kurt Suzuki?

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 489 Times in 285 Posts
    What to do with Suzuki? At some point I would extend him a year. This is different than the Doumit situation.

About an hour after you published this, Suzuki made what I believe was the play of the season-- after hitting a ball over the fence in left field, the ball bounced back into left field, but he continued to run anyway, as if the ball was in play. Even after he knew it was a home run and was rounding third for home plate, he continued to run hard. He even drew the fielders back into the play and they threw the ball home, even though they knew it was a homer too. Suzuki slid into home plate and popped up from his slide laughing about how he just ran hard around the bases on a home run. I think that play showed people something. Hustle, love for playing the game, all that stuff, not to mention a clutch hit in the late innings. At the risk of sounding over serious about it, I think Suzuki is the guy we've been looking for for quite a while. Hitting, catching the veteran pitchers, and giving us that intangible presence we've been searching for since the playoff years.

3. These 2 users like Hosken Bombo Disco's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Monkeypaws (05-21-2014), WLFINN (05-21-2014)

It might be rough for a bit, but if Pinto is the catcher of the future than he needs more reps playing catcher. I'd dangle Suzuki at the trade deadline for something, a prospect and maybe a 4th outfielder. If nobody is willing to give anything, than I'd keep him and then consider giving him an extension. But there's no reason not to wait until after the trade deadline.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'd try to work out an extension like the one year u mentioned or try to pull off a Doumit like trade for a Sean Gilmartin level pitcher before the deadline this year.

Senior Member Double-A troyhobbs's Avatar
    Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Larsbars08 View Post
    It might be rough for a bit, but if Pinto is the catcher of the future than he needs more reps playing catcher. I'd dangle Suzuki at the trade deadline for something, a prospect and maybe a 4th outfielder. If nobody is willing to give anything, than I'd keep him and then consider giving him an extension. But there's no reason not to wait until after the trade deadline.
    Agreed. When you have 2 good players at the same position you gotta move one if he can bring in something at a different position of need. Sell high. What are the odds Suzuki keeps this up for another 2-3 yes?

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by troyhobbs View Post
    Agreed. When you have 2 good players at the same position you gotta move one if he can bring in something at a different position of need. Sell high. What are the odds Suzuki keeps this up for another 2-3 yes?
    2-3 months? Pretty low. His BABIP is about 50 points over his (pretty consistent) career average. This gives him a wOBA of about .350. Subtract those 50 points and his slash line is start looking more like .250/.310/.370, which is his norm.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

8. This user likes Thrylos's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

LaBombo (05-22-2014)

The problem is that most catchers only start about 100 games. That still leaves about 60 other games you need someone. I'd rather have Suzuki getting those 60 starts than Herrmann or Fryer. I'd wait to see how he is doing mid to late June, but I would be for extending him 1-2 years.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 665 Times in 376 Posts
    Let it play out. It's May. He very well might be great to bring back for next year, but trying to make that decision now is really unnecessary.

People were ready to crown Colabello a success and now he's got a nice indent worked into the bench. Just slow down and let things play out. It's two months before any of this has to be decided.

11. This user likes TheLeviathan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

USAFChief (05-21-2014)

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,589 Times in 826 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Let it play out. It's May. He very well might be great to bring back for next year, but trying to make that decision now is really unnecessary.
    This.

People were ready to crown Colabello a success and now he's got a nice indent worked into the bench. Just slow down and let things play out. It's two months before any of this has to be decided.
    Because of this.

I like Suzuki and wouldn't mind retaining him for another year (but only one year) if the Twins stay in contention and he isn't obvious trade bait at the deadline. Lots of time to make a decision, no need to do it now.

Quote Originally Posted by Hosken Bombo Disco View Post
    Hitting, catching the veteran pitchers, and giving us that intangible presence we've been searching for since the playoff years.
    He's certainly been exciting in 2014. Serious bargain, just hope he doesn't turn into a pumpkin again.

Quote Originally Posted by Larsbars08 View Post
    If nobody is willing to give anything, than I'd keep him and then consider giving him an extension. But there's no reason not to wait until after the trade deadline.
    Might be tough to pick up a real prospect and a 4th outfielder for 1/3 of a season if they trade him without an extension. And if they extend him, hard to see them trading him the same season, unless that was part of a sign and trade type deal.

Heck, Suzuki might continue to play hot and then elect free agency over an extension, he hasn't had a cash rich deal yet.

Quote Originally Posted by tjsyam921 View Post
    I'd try to work out an extension like the one year u mentioned or try to pull off a Doumit like trade for a Sean Gilmartin level pitcher before the deadline this year.
    The Doumit deal was with an entire year left on the deal. Suzuki, without an extension would be a 1/3 of the year, maybe 1/2 a year rental. Not sure that someone with a Gilmartin pedigree would be on the table. But we can certainly hope!

Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    2-3 months? Pretty low. His BABIP is about 50 points over his (pretty consistent) career average. This gives him a wOBA of about .350. Subtract those 50 points and his slash line is start looking more like .250/.310/.370, which is his norm.
    Ding-ding-ding!

Still a valuable piece as a part time catcher and clubhouse guy. Which I think makes a team friendly extension ideal. But if he continues to hit, I think he would be tough to extend without laying out a larger chunk of cash.

Just slow down and let things play out. It's two months before any of this has to be decided.
    But this is much more fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    ...if the Twins stay in contention...
    That's a pretty huge "if," Brock. .500 ball team makes August and September more interesting, but hard to see this team in position for even the second Wild Card spot.

I continue to enjoy the ride the Twins are on, and I believe they have a chance to win every game, but I think they're more likely to win 70 than 81, or 85+ it would take to be close to Wild Card spots.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric R Pleiss View Post
    Ding-ding-ding!

Still a valuable piece as a part time catcher and clubhouse guy. Which I think makes a team friendly extension ideal. But if he continues to hit, I think he would be tough to extend without laying out a larger chunk of cash.
    Yeah and if he continues to hit then his potential trade value goes up, so really this is almost a win-win for the Twins. If he regresses they can resign him as a back-up/clubhouse guy, if he continues to rake, you trade him for max value. Thus win-win.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,589 Times in 826 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric R Pleiss View Post
    That's a pretty huge "if," Brock. .500 ball team makes August and September more interesting, but hard to see this team in position for even the second Wild Card spot.

I continue to enjoy the ride the Twins are on, and I believe they have a chance to win every game, but I think they're more likely to win 70 than 81, or 85+ it would take to be close to Wild Card spots.
    Absolutely. I don't expect the Twins to stay in "contention" but I think they have a decent shot at hanging around .500 through July, which means they probably won't be selling at the deadline.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Absolutely. I don't expect the Twins to stay in "contention" but I think they have a decent shot at hanging around .500 through July, which means they probably won't be selling at the deadline.
    The Rubber Band lives!

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 489 Times in 285 Posts

Absolutely let it play out but 1) Suzuki has 7 MLB seasons behind him, Colabello not so much, and 2) who would be our second catcher if we moved Suzuki.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
    Signing him to an extension now would be buying high. Nothing in his career says he will keep this up and no GM is going to think he is suddenly a .310 hitter and give us commensurate value. If they do then jump at it but they won't. He will regress to his norm but still a good share time guy. I heard he blamed Oakland for his poor average because they told him he had to go to right field on every pitch no matter what.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast