Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Wimmers has UCL tear

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 444 Times in 271 Posts
    Blog Entries

Wimmers has UCL tear

Second first round pick pitcher with it. They call it "partial" (last time they used that term was with Neshek) No news about surgery or not
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member Triple-A Dilligaf69's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You simply can't make it up...how depressing!

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 371 Times in 196 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Just more bad, unfortunate news. Considering I was initially told elbow "soreness"... UGGH!

Senior Member Double-A Neinstein's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I know I'm not the first to say this, but they really outta get these kids Tommy John surgery for their 21st birthday.
    A very large surprise cake, a keg, and an appointment to Lewis Yocum's Tommy John surgery room.
    Last edited by Neinstein; 05-05-2012 at 07:38 PM.
    "You teach me baseball and I'll teach you relativity. No, we must not. You will learn about relativity faster than I learn baseball." ​Albert Einstein

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 532 Times in 346 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sad, it most likely sets Wimmers back another year. I was hoping for a big comeback for him this year.

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    This is very disappointing news. The worst part may be the "partial tear" part. Give him the surgery, and let's move on.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,289 Times in 1,749 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Has anybody collected statistics for all MLB organizations, for the various kinds of major injuries like this? I don't follow any other team closely enough to know if a UCL is a once-every-three-years thing for an organization, or if everybody loses two or three prospect pitchers this way every year?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Alex Wimmers the latest #1 draft pick by scouting director Deron Johnson that is a complete bust. Wimmers, Gibson, Michael, and Hicks...Nice resume Deron you could not get a job cutting grass for any other organization..Anybody hopeful for draft this year forget about it.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 444 Times in 271 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    Has anybody collected statistics for all MLB organizations, for the various kinds of major injuries like this? I don't follow any other team closely enough to know if a UCL is a once-every-three-years thing for an organization, or if everybody loses two or three prospect pitchers this way every year?
    There was an article some place earlier this season saying that about 50% of SPs at some point will have UCL tears and will have to have TJ surgery. So it is not the Twins' plague only This amazes me on 2 counts:

a. Back in the "old days" (and I am thinking 80s and 90s) not too many people had TJ surgeries (even though starters threw more Ps per year)
    b. Back in the old days people used to get cortizone injections left and right and were able to perform after a day or too. I haven't heard of any Twins having a Cortizone injection lately... I think the last one was either Crede or Hardy
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanatic Jack View Post
    Alex Wimmers the latest #1 draft pick by scouting director Deron Johnson that is a complete bust. Wimmers, Gibson, Michael, and Hicks...Nice resume Deron you could not get a job cutting grass for any other organization..Anybody hopeful for draft this year forget about it.
    It's a bit early to call any of those guys a bust. Hicks is having a good season at AA, Gibson is healing from TJ but was a good pitcher when healthy, Micheal has been a pro for about a month.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    There was an article some place earlier this season saying that about 50% of SPs at some point will have UCL tears and will have to have TJ surgery. So it is not the Twins' plague only
    Yeah, I think that was in a SI article talking about the Rangers.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,289 Times in 1,749 Posts
    Blog Entries
    50% of starting pitchers will require TJ surgery? I wonder what Dr. Mike Marshall would have to say about that.

The Twins medical staff screws up another........Guaranteed they will have him try to rehab only to find out that didn't work next spring and he will have the surgery and be out til 2014. This is just par for the course when your dealing with the worst front office and medical staff in the bigs.

I updated my "adopted prospect" page accordingly.
    Sucks for Wimmers; sucks for Twins fans.
    Andrew Walter
    Twins Fan From Afar
    Providing Twins and Rock Cats Coverage
    http://twinsfanfromafar.blogspot.com
    Follow me on Twitter: @MNfanfromafar

I have heard no news on Wimmers. He has not pitched in a game since the first week of the season, and he has been in Ft. Myers rehabbing for a few weeks now.
    Optimism is waning.
    Andrew Walter
    Twins Fan From Afar
    Providing Twins and Rock Cats Coverage
    http://twinsfanfromafar.blogspot.com
    Follow me on Twitter: @MNfanfromafar