Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Interesting Roster decisions coming

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    BA? Season to date, Hicks has a .331 OBP, Fuld .291, Colabello .286. Hicks is 6 years younger than Colabello and 8 years younger than Fuld. Guess who of the 3 belongs to the majors?
    If you need a guy who can take a walk the answer is Hicks, otherwise not so much. That's the only thing Hicks has shown the ability to do so far .. not swing the bat & hope they walk him.

Hicks is slugging .263 which is remarkably low, even worse than Fulds .390. You can't just use his OBP since it's his only reasonably decent stat. Eventually he is going to have to hit better than .192 to stay in the ML

Fuld is what he is. A backup OF who plays good defense & has good speed. He's good for that role. Unfortunately the Twins don't have a starting CF right now so he qualifies(sort of).

Hicks might have a long term future while Fuld & Colabello are doubtful but right now Hicks should be learning at AAA.

2. This user likes golfboy1's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Sconnie (05-21-2014)

Liked 1,295 Times in 749 Posts
    –Twins outfielder Sam Fuld (concussion) remains limited to light cardio work and has yet to resume baseball activities. Fuld, who has been on the 15-day disabled list since May 8, is eligible to come off the DL Friday but that won’t be happening.

http://blogs.twincities.com/twins/2014/05/21/twinsights-starting-suits-chris-parmelee/

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 87 Times in 54 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    –Twins outfielder Sam Fuld (concussion) remains limited to light cardio work and has yet to resume baseball activities. Fuld, who has been on the 15-day disabled list since May 8, is eligible to come off the DL Friday but that won’t be happening.

http://blogs.twincities.com/twins/2014/05/21/twinsights-starting-suits-chris-parmelee/
    Fuld is actually on the 7-Day Concussion DL and was eligible to come off the DL on Thursday, May 15. Of course Wilkin Ramierez went on the 7-Day DL in May last year and didn't come back until August.

Liked 398 Times in 263 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gmarais66 View Post
    The Twins might prefer to keep Santana over Fuld, since he offers the flexibility of playing SS or CF and he's a way better hitter than Fuld... Not to mention, he appears to be a key piece in the Twins' future, while Fuld is just filler... Colabello will definitely be heading to Rochester, along with Hermann... If Hicks' hot streak goes ice cold again, he may be headed east when the roster moves are needed...
    If the decision is Fuld (no options) Santana (options) or Hicks (options) the decision had better not be expose the guy with no options to waivers... Just sayin' RA had better figure this one out by now.

Liked 398 Times in 263 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by golfboy1 View Post
    If you need a guy who can take a walk the answer is Hicks, otherwise not so much. That's the only thing Hicks has shown the ability to do so far .. not swing the bat & hope they walk him.

Hicks is slugging .263 which is remarkably low, even worse than Fulds .390. You can't just use his OBP since it's his only reasonably decent stat. Eventually he is going to have to hit better than .192 to stay in the ML

Fuld is what he is. A backup OF who plays good defense & has good speed. He's good for that role. Unfortunately the Twins don't have a starting CF right now so he qualifies(sort of).

Hicks might have a long term future while Fuld & Colabello are doubtful but right now Hicks should be learning at AAA.
    Exactly! Fuld is an ok 4th outfielder that you can't afford to lose. Colabello has options, so does hicks.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 37 Times in 31 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Has anyone said any different about Wilson? The point was he was on the 40-day, and that was the best they could come up with, after getting their hat handed to them repeatedly in the roster wars.

Nothing more? Really? Or maybe they have done a really bad job at supplementing and having the proper concern about depth in an obvious area of weakness from the exact day in 2012 when they got rid of both of their CFers.
    I think the Phillies would take back May for Revere in a heartbeat. Even if Vanimal were in AAA for the Twins, they might take him straight up for Revere. They might even trade Revere straight up for Hicks. I don't think you can fault the Twins for trading Revere.

Span for Meyer. Bad idea short term, might be a great idea long term. It will be better to have pitching in a year rather than an impeding free agent.

Yes the Twins outfield is kind of messy. Not everything works out. I supose you can fault them for not having above average players in all positions. In the end Ryan sacrificed now for later, guessed wrong on developing players,. At least he did not stand pat.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 464 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Agreed.

I don't think Correia can be traded. I'm fine with a DFA if he continues to struggle. As for Pelfrey, I'm also fine with him getting the nod IF he's throwing in the low 90s again. If he's not, DL him again or DFA him if he won't "come down" with an injury. The guy is flat-out useless unless he's throwing hard.

Fuld needs to stay with the team as an insurance policy. I'd consider demoting Hicks unless he continues to post a .200+ batting average. The moment he slips, he gets sent to Rochester.
    You need two guys who can play center. Hicks and Fuld are the only two left on the 40-man, unless you count Santana. They're treading on thin ice with only one active CF. I don't think sending Hicks down is even an option when Fuld comes back.

Arcia for Hermann
    Willingham for Cola
    Fuld for Santana
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wise One View Post
    I think the Phillies would take back May for Revere in a heartbeat. Even if Vanimal were in AAA for the Twins, they might take him straight up for Revere. They might even trade Revere straight up for Hicks. I don't think you can fault the Twins for trading Revere.

Span for Meyer. Bad idea short term, might be a great idea long term. It will be better to have pitching in a year rather than an impeding free agent.

Yes the Twins outfield is kind of messy. Not everything works out. I supose you can fault them for not having above average players in all positions. In the end Ryan sacrificed now for later, guessed wrong on developing players,. At least he did not stand pat.
    The fault lies with two mistakes this year--Bartlett for Presley and then Fuld for Mastroianni. They screwed up on the first one, but they had a chance to make it right if they had DFAd anybody but Mastro when they claimed Fuld. If they had simply DFAd Bartlett while they waited for his retirement papers to go through, they could have optioned Mastro.

10. These 4 users like cmathewson's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

big dog (05-22-2014), blairpaul715 (05-22-2014), mike wants wins (05-22-2014), ScottyB (05-22-2014)

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,597 Times in 830 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    The fault lies with two mistakes this year--Bartlett for Presley and then Fuld for Mastroianni. They screwed up on the first one, but they had a chance to make it right if they had DFAd anybody but Mastro when they claimed Fuld. If they had simply DFAd Bartlett while they waited for his retirement papers to go through, they could have optioned Mastro.
    Yep. I agree with this. They had the opportunity to right what *should* have been a pretty small mistake with Bartlett but instead doubled down on weakening CF depth.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wise One View Post
    Why would the Twins make this deal, it has very short term benefits. You are looking at a year perhaps a year and half with Revere before Buxton takes over, plus you are potentially trading away a piece of the rotation for the next few years (who has turned a corner it seems in AAA) for a year and half of CF stability. It seems hard but this is another case where the long term benefit needs to win out over the short term gain.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kdrupp09 View Post
    Why would the Twins make this deal, it has very short term benefits. You are looking at a year perhaps a year and half with Revere before Buxton takes over, plus you are potentially trading away a piece of the rotation for the next few years (who has turned a corner it seems in AAA) for a year and half of CF stability. It seems hard but this is another case where the long term benefit needs to win out over the short term gain.
    I don't think he is arguing the Twins should do that.....I think he is arguing the Twins made a good trade.......
    Lighten up Francis....

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 856 Times in 552 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    Those two obvious blunders at the season's onset were both predicated from the predetermined offseason notion that Bartlett was on the team, no matter what. This led to continuing two offseason's worth of not seeking out more competent, at the very least, replacement level, starting caliber help for defensive OF (CF) depth in the wake of the 2 big trades from 2012- and the enormous gamble- in the face of insurmountable odds to the contrary- of Hicks succeeding and the team remaining injury-free at the position.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    I don't think he is arguing the Twins should do that.....I think he is arguing the Twins made a good trade.......
    Which is an "argument" that completely misses the point of the current discussion, as no one is saying the Twins shouldn't have made the trade, just that they needed more foresight of the consequences in the aftermath of it.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Which is an "argument" that completely misses the point of the current discussion, as no one is saying the Twins shouldn't have made the trade, just that they needed more foresight of the consequences in the aftermath of it.
    I completely missed what he was saying in his post and apologize if my post came across as an attack. I also agree that the trade left the Twins somewhat short in CF, however the actions of this season have done much more to put the team into its current bind then what the trade caused.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Is something wrong with Presley? Is that why the Twins released him? His OPS+ is down to 51 with Houston.

Yikes. That makes Aaron Hicks look good.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kdrupp09 View Post
    I completely missed what he was saying in his post and apologize if my post came across as an attack. I also agree that the trade left the Twins somewhat short in CF, however the actions of this season have done much more to put the team into its current bind then what the trade caused.
    The Twins starting 2013 had no leadoff hitter or experienced starting major league CFer. As it still remains in doubt if Aaron Hicks is a starting major league CFer, plus they have no obvious leadoff man on their roster, they have yet to adequately address those issues as of May 20, 2014. The actions of this season, as you put it, seem to be willful denial of the hole they dug for themselves back in late 2012.

Senior Member Triple-A
    The Twins starting 2013 had no leadoff hitter or experienced starting major league CFer. As it still remains in doubt if Aaron Hicks is a starting major league CFer, plus they have no obvious leadoff man on their roster, they have yet to adequately address those issues as of May 20, 2014. The actions of this season, as you put it, seem to be willful denial of the hole they dug for themselves back in late 2012.
    I can't help but wonder if the plan for this season was to make it work with whatever they might have in the time being and then keep Buxton up after the Future's game in July.

Blog Entries
    They had enough depth going into this year: Hicks and two replacement players. All they had to do was hold onto the depth they had. When Fuld came along, they could have DFAd Presley for that upgrade, keeping one guy with options in case of injury.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 40 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Is something wrong with Presley? Is that why the Twins released him? His OPS+ is down to 51 with Houston.

Yikes. That makes Aaron Hicks look good.
    It was never Presley v. Hicks. It was Presley v. Bartlett and Bartlett is out of baseball.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DJL44 View Post
    It was never Presley v. Hicks. It was Presley v. Bartlett and Bartlett is out of baseball.
    Oh, I realize that... I'm just wondering why Presley, a guy whose OPS+ usually hovers around 90-95, is suddenly a 51 OPS+ player.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast