Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Interesting Roster decisions coming

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,590 Times in 827 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiTownTwinsFan View Post
    yeah ... the times you wish you were a fly on the wall in these decisions. you know there is more to the story and it's somewhat maddening not to have all the answers.
    Yep. Normally, I just write off stuff like this as "internal decisions, could be anything" but this one is so baffling that I'd like to know the story behind it.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 66 Times in 37 Posts
    So say Mastro is still on the 40, who isn't? And is he starting? Hicks at AAA? who is the backup CF?

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gmarais66 View Post
    I find it comical that people have spent nearly 100 posts arguing about two AAAA outfielders... Or maybe three, if you count Fuld
    Actually, I believe we're up to five now.

Fuld, Mastroianni, Bonifacio, Presley, and Sizemore.

They're all bad options and should be expected to put up similar numbers. Fuld and Bonifacio have been the best (1.1 and 1.2 fWAR) while Presley and Sizemore have been Hicksian this season (-0.7 and -0.2 fWAR respectively). Mastro hasn't played in MLB since leaving the Twins.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WLFINN View Post
    So say Mastro is still on the 40, who isn't? And is he starting? Hicks at AAA? who is the backup CF?
    I'd have Mastro on the 25 man until Fuld returns then make a decision what to do with him.

As for the 40 man, I'd have pushed Matt Guerrier off into the sunset and possibly thrown a flaming torch onto the raft.

5. These 2 users like Brock Beauchamp's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

kdrupp09 (05-22-2014), mike wants wins (05-22-2014)

Senior Member Double-A
    Just trying to look bigger picture into the whole argument/discussion, not quite grasping what all the fuss is about? Not sure the roster would look a whole lot different....

Senior Member Double-A
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    I'd have Mastro on the 25 man until Fuld returns then make a decision what to do with him.

As for the 40 man, I'd have pushed Matt Guerrier off into the sunset and possibly thrown a flaming torch onto the raft.
    So then Parmalee is still in AAA? or is Hicks? Santana?
    Last edited by WLFINN; 05-22-2014 at 01:29 PM. Reason: added Santana

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    So then Parmalee is still in AAA? or is Hicks? Santana?
    Santana, probably. I didn't think he belonged on the MLB roster in the first place. He should be in Rochester, getting reps at short every day.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
    Santana, probably. I didn't think he belonged on the MLB roster in the first place. He should be in Rochester, getting reps at short every day.
    I agree completely. Santana needs as many reps as he can get at short and right now with Escobar playing well in the bigs, Santana would be much better off playing short everyday in Rochester so the Twins can figure out if he can be the shortstop of the future.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gmarais66 View Post
    I find it comical that people have spent nearly 100 posts arguing about two AAAA outfielders... Or maybe three, if you count Fuld... Mastro and Presley are disposable players... They're aren't going to make a lick of difference in the big picture of a season... Hicks needs to play all season for the team to gauge if he's really a part of the future or just another guy with big potential, who washed out. Personally, the team is fine with Santana or Escobar serving as his backup in CF... Unless Hicks suffers an injury they won't be needed anyway. If he does get hurt, then maybe Santana plays every day, if Fuld is still not able to play... Or you bring up the next Mastro or Presley from the minors... They're a dime a dozen... Just let Mastro and Presley fade into the Twins' history book and forget about them... Sort of how I'd completely forgotten about Rene Rivera, until I saw him in the Padres' lineup...

I think Hicks would have been much better off getting some AAA experience rather than being thrown into the situation he has been. Even with Hicks, there should be a better option than having a MI playing CF in a ML game. Santana was horrible in the one game that I saw him play. He misjudged fly balls, he threw to the middle of the infield several times instead of the correct base. It's not exactly his fault, he should not have been put in that situation.

Fuld, Presley or Mastro are all backup OF but they can all handle CF & run the bases. Bonifacio is probably a tick better than any of them. They aren't going to make the Twins a championship team but "somebody" has to play CF & they are all probably better options than how the Twins handles the situation.

I'd love to hear any semi lucid reason why Bartlett made the team. He's 34 yrs old, batted .133 in 2012, didn't play in 2013 & batted close to .000 in spring training. Oh, and he's an IF who Gardy decided should start playing OF this spring since it looked like we would need a backup OF. I don't see any problem with that plan.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 37 Times in 31 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kdrupp09 View Post
    I agree completely. Santana needs as many reps as he can get at short and right now with Escobar playing well in the bigs, Santana would be much better off playing short everyday in Rochester so the Twins can figure out if he can be the shortstop of the future.
    The same people who cannot quite figure out the 5th outfielder situation perhaps determined that Santana is not the SS of the future, but could be a good UT

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Santana would be the odd guy out, rightfully, in a Mastro situation. That Bartlett thing is so, so, so atrocious in every way.

But the Twins are 23-21 right now.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Also, I do think that Eduardo Escobar is the best tradeable asset outside of Suzuki and maybe Fien and Duensing at the deadline. James Beresford looks like a legit candidate for the IF Util role in 2015.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    If the Twins are anywhere near .500, I don't see them trading anyone except maybe Correia if he's still on the team. After three losing seasons, I think the front office will try to field a competitive team for as long as they possibly can without sacrificing anyone who can't be easily replaced in 2014.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    If the Twins are anywhere near .500, I don't see them trading anyone except maybe Correia if he's still on the team. After three losing seasons, I think the front office will try to field a competitive team for as long as they possibly can without sacrificing anyone who can't be easily replaced in 2014.
    Ask Torii and Johan if they agree with that......
    Lighten up Francis....

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Big difference. They were leaving via free agency and the Twins were a decent team. They weren't coming off three consecutive 90+ loss seasons and fighting to re-engage an increasingly apathetic fanbase.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 37 Times in 31 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Completely different situation.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 852 Times in 548 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Absolutely right. I hope the Twins soon come to their senses, and have thought out the situation with respect to Florimon, and drawn up a specific action plan for Santana with the Wings.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 852 Times in 548 Posts
    Blog Entries

Guerrier's return only makes marginally more sense that forcing Bartlett onto the roster. It's like someone at One Twins Way in the offseason planning meetings wrote

"We need to re-establish a veteran presence that exemplifies the Twins Way"

as a bullet point for changing the culture, and by golly, they were going to follow through with checking off that bullet point, whether or not it actually still made sense in the light of day.
    Last edited by jokin; 05-22-2014 at 04:09 PM.

Senior Member Double-A
    Has Nunez played any infield since joining the big league club? because he is the backup SS if/when Santana gets sent down is he not?
    Last edited by WLFINN; 05-22-2014 at 03:28 PM.

Liked 1,285 Times in 742 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Guerrier's return only makes marginally more sense that forcing Bartlett onto the roster. It's like someone at One Twins Way in the offseason planning meetings wrote

"We need a to re-establish a veteran presence that exemplifies the Twins Way"

as a bullet point for changing the culture, and by golly, they were going to follow through with checking off that bullet point, whether or not it actually still made sense in the light of day.
    I think someone did write or say that. Gardenhire basically said it at the end of the season.

Interestingly, I think it is Suzuki that is establishing a veteran presence the exemplifies the (old) Twins way. Didn't necessarily have to be a re-tread.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast