Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

View Poll Results: Will the Twins Sink or Swim over the next stretch?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sink

9 16.36%
  • Swim

9 16.36%
  • Tread Water

37 67.27%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sink or Swim: The Next Stretch of 15 Games...

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 51 Times in 35 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    I will be at that Yankee series, so you can count those as three losses as the Twins have lost 21 of the last 22 games I have attended live.
    Meant to reply to Dave about the dislike button. Post fail.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kdrupp09 View Post
    I think 6-8 sounds about right, they will likely lose at least 2 in New York because of the teams weird mental thing with the Yankees.
    I think the Twins are 5-5 in their last 10 games in NY, as weird as that seems.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 392 Times in 206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D. Hocking View Post
    You have obviously angered some sports god at some point. Have you attended most of the Wolves lottery/draft functions, the infamous Vikings/New Orleans title game, the 1998-99 Vkings/Falcons game? It would explain a few things.

I say 6 and 8. I think they have been playing a little better than they are, but there are legitiamte improvements. I think they are moving in the right direction. I like how they have come back late in a number of games - not giving up.
    I have been to 8 Vikings games, have yet to see them win a single game. (Never in the dome though)

0-3 when watching the T-pups.

Good news is I am above .500 when it comes to the Wild.

I was however at game 7 back in 91, so at the end of the day I will take 21 out of 22 losses any day
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 668 Times in 377 Posts
    This team is finding some unique ways to win. I keep waiting for the wheels to fall off but some scrub finds a flukey stretch to carry the team and they keep squeaking them out. A .500 month this month is (strange as this sounds to some) a real testament to the coaching staff.

I think Bruno and Molly are adding a ton to this club right now.

5. This user likes TheLeviathan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (05-22-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 287 Times in 145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    This team is finding some unique ways to win. I keep waiting for the wheels to fall off but some scrub finds a flukey stretch to carry the team and they keep squeaking them out. A .500 month this month is (strange as this sounds to some) a real testament to the coaching staff.

Plus Gardy's 3-year plan is finally showing returns.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    I think the Twins are 5-5 in their last 10 games in NY, as weird as that seems.
    Wow, I was not aware of this, I just remember all the "good" years where we couldn't beat the Yankees even with Johan at his peak and the numerous sweeps in Division Round playoffs.

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 207 Times in 116 Posts
    Surrounding Gardy, who's been something of a player's coach, with coaches who have strategic and technical expertise seems to be paying off. I'm not sure how Molitor manages the clubhouse or personalities, but maybe the Twins have pretty optimal staff as is.

That Gardy's retirement vests at the end of this season seemed to lay the foundation for his departure, though that seems a bit premature now...
    Last edited by PseudoSABR; 05-22-2014 at 12:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    We all thought they'd buckle against Detroit and Boston but they won both those series.
    Previous 15 Games:
    2-0 Padres
    2-1 Mariners
    2-1 Red Sox
    2-1 Tigers
    1-3 Indians

I had that stretch plus the Dodgers and Orioles before it as a defining time period. Scouting reports on guys come out...batting averages start falling...pitches stop missing bats...team starts losing. Twins went 9-6. I'm converted. This team can play .500 ball. The Rangers are no longer scary. Yankees are also mediocre. The Twins can ball with those guys. I'll say 7-7.

Liked 1,295 Times in 749 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VandyTwinsFan View Post
    Previous 15 Games:
    2-0 Padres
    2-1 Mariners
    2-1 Red Sox
    2-1 Tigers
    1-3 Indians
    Only losing against the Indians ... and the Tigers just went 0-3 against them.

I'll go 8-7 just for the fun of it. Don't think the rubber band will stretch much either way.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 540 Times in 350 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The stubborn fact is the worm is bound to turn a bit on close games. In the 9-6 stretch just completed the Twins won all of those games by one or two runs. They were outscored despite winning 60% of those games. Getting back a hitter or two will help. Having the starters and front line relievers pitching 90% of the innings will help. The roster chaos was at it's peak when the team was in Cleveland, but things have straightened out since then.

12. This user likes stringer bell's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

PseudoSABR (05-22-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
    I would love to see a sweep of the Yankees in NY. That would make me very happy.

Anyone else despise the NYY?

Twitter
    @Trimbletj
    Liked 51 Times in 28 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I thought we'd learn a lot about this team after the stretch against the O's, Indians, Tigers and Red Sox. They played solid against good competition and at this point I don't think we can keep writing that off as a fluke. I like 7 to 8 wins on this next stretch.

I'll be interested to see if the Twins keep Hughes in his spot against the Yankees. After all of the talk that the NY stage and Yankee stadium got into Hughes' head, you'd think the Twins may just do him a favor and bump his start into the next series. (Then again, maybe Hughes WANTS to pitch against the Yankees in Yankee stadium?)

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 668 Times in 377 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    Surrounding Gardy, who's been something of a player's coach, with coaches who have strategic and technical expertise seems to be paying off. I'm not sure how Molitor manages the clubhouse or personalities, but maybe the Twins have pretty optimal staff as is.

That Gardy's retirement vests at the end of this season seemed to lay the foundation for his departure, though that seems a bit premature now...
    I'm just struggling to find anywhere else to credit this team other than blind luck. It seems unfair to say they're blind lucky right now (they are to a large degree) but this feels like there is some method to it. It might just be there is a new set of voices with some new ideas and perspectives and that refreshing breath has been just what the team needed.

I think it's fair to say also that Bruno and Molly were two players that maximized their skillset in their careers. It might be why we're seeing the same from so many players right now.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,598 Times in 831 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm just struggling to find anywhere else to credit this team other than blind luck. It seems unfair to say they're blind lucky right now (they are to a large degree) but this feels like there is some method to it. It might just be there is a new set of voices with some new ideas and perspectives and that refreshing breath has been just what the team needed.

I think it's fair to say also that Bruno and Molly were two players that maximized their skillset in their careers. It might be why we're seeing the same from so many players right now.
    Agreed. I think this is one of those "we just don't know because we're not there" situations. Something is different. I don't know what it is but something is definitely different.

Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 198 Times in 97 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by iTwins View Post
    I'll be interested to see if the Twins keep Hughes in his spot against the Yankees. After all of the talk that the NY stage and Yankee stadium got into Hughes' head, you'd think the Twins may just do him a favor and bump his start into the next series. (Then again, maybe Hughes WANTS to pitch against the Yankees in Yankee stadium?)
    I think pulling him against the Yankees would be the worst thing you can do to him. He's pitching well now, so why assume he'll pitch that much worse (park factors excepted) against the Yankees?

Besides, if he has a bad game or a few players take him deep, the Yankees fans can go home thinking that they were right all along. Which is exactly what they were going to be thinking anyway being Yankees fans, so no harm no foul.

18. This user likes 70charger's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

WLFINN (05-23-2014)

Twins Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Twitter
    @Sheradoodles
    Liked 1,943 Times in 1,138 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Agreed. I think this is one of those "we just don't know because we're not there" situations. Something is different. I don't know what it is but something is definitely different.
    Well, and hate to get this one started, but Ryan hasn't been in the forefront, either. So who knows really who is making what call.

Twitter
    @Trimbletj
    Liked 51 Times in 28 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 70charger View Post
    I think pulling him against the Yankees would be the worst thing you can do to him. He's pitching well now, so why assume he'll pitch that much worse (park factors excepted) against the Yankees?

Besides, if he has a bad game or a few players take him deep, the Yankees fans can go home thinking that they were right all along. Which is exactly what they were going to be thinking anyway being Yankees fans, so no harm no foul.
    I can see both points - since Hughes is rolling, why not let him face the Yankees? Maybe he'll shut them down and continue pitching on his hot streak. The Yankees aren't exactly world beaters at this point - why duck them?

Then again, he's still a flyball pitcher, and flyballs have a habit of becoming souvenirs in Yankee Stadium. I'd hate to see a shelling get into Hughes' head and mess with all of this progress he's made this season.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,306 Times in 1,754 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    The stubborn fact is the worm is bound to turn a bit on close games. In the 9-6 stretch just completed the Twins won all of those games by one or two runs. They were outscored despite winning 60% of those games.
    Who's to say the worm won't turn the other way, and the Twins start to score a bit more and put these games out of reach, and even snag an extra win by a close margin?

22. This user likes ashburyjohn's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Tibs (05-22-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 858 Times in 553 Posts
    Blog Entries

The 3.76 ERA/3.59 FIP from the Starters in May, so far, will certainly add a boosted shot of "luck" to bounce your way, along with the "fluky" outbreaks by the varied and assundry cast of overachievers and career year vets.

Molitor's quiet, but obviously difference-making tutelage is imprinting itself on the field in players like Dozier and Plouffe (even Kubel and Mauer were difference-makers on the basepaths last night- which appeared to be a direct result of Molitor's baserunning tips)....he very well might just be setting up a scenario for Gardy to take a Kelly-esque honorable retirement from the daily managerial role by season's-end.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 63 Times in 40 Posts
    I hit swim, but meant sink. I'm thinking it'll be rough.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast