Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hermann/Colabello down, Willingham/Arcia up

Liked 397 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hermann/Colabello down, Willingham/Arcia up

In a shocking turn of events the Twins sent Hermann and Colabello to AAA to make room for Arcia and Willingham.

http://blogs.twincities.com/twins/

According to Bernardino, Hermann while at AAA Rochester, is going to get reps at CF and catcher.

Let's let that sink in a sec.

CF and Catcher

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 75 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sconnie View Post
    In a shocking turn of events the Twins sent Hermann and Colabello to AAA to make room for Arcia and Willingham.

According to Bernardino, Hermann while at AAA Rochester, is going to get reps at CF and catcher.

CF and Catcher
    I guess the Twins have given-up on Hicks, every warm body is being trained and auditioned as a CFer.

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,282 Times in 686 Posts
    Wow, who saw that coming?!

With the assumption that Santana goes down when Fuld is healthy I'm very curious as to where they plan to play him in Rochester. He's clearly no CF, at least at the major league level at this point, but I swear if he gets jacked around down there for the likes of P-Flo and Herrmann, I'm going to lose my lunch.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 534 Times in 347 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Get healthy, Sam Fuld! A lot of feeling that somehow Colabello got shafted by being sent down. I heard both Tim Laudner and Jack Morris say that they thought he shouldn't be sent down. Well, he isn't hitting and he is only really a first baseman. That position is taken, leaving DH and the Twins have many candidates to DH. There remains one too many shortstops, but that can be fixed when Fuld returns.

5. This user likes stringer bell's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Sconnie (05-25-2014)

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 663 Times in 374 Posts
    So Parmelee in CF? I really hope this doesn't cut into his at-bats. It needs to be Parm, Willy, and Arcia every day in the corners and DH.

Not Kubel.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsnorth49 View Post
    Wow, who saw that coming?!

With the assumption that Santana goes down when Fuld is healthy I'm very curious as to where they plan to play him in Rochester. He's clearly no CF, at least at the major league level at this point, but I swear if he gets jacked around down there for the likes of P-Flo and Herrmann, I'm going to lose my lunch.
    Catcher

8. This user likes Sconnie's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

twinsnorth49 (05-25-2014)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    So Parmelee in CF? I really hope this doesn't cut into his at-bats. It needs to be Parm, Willy, and Arcia every day in the corners and DH.

Not Kubel.
    Kubel might agree with you, he's been looking pretty tired lately.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 164 Times in 104 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If Herrmann has a major league career, it will be in a utility role. That might include some time in CF. Sometimes I miss the sarcasm, but I don't think anyone was shocked by the moves today or Gardenhire's comments about CF. They finally figured out that it might be worthwhile to get utility players AAA experience around the OF rather than learn it at the major league level.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries

CF and Catcher
    Yeah, I saw the presser, there was stunned silence when Gardy pronounced Hermann's well-earned promotion to #3 on the CF depth list- perhaps the media was waiting for a punch line? Gardy pretty much had a garbled response (something about having to do some things with the players he has) when asked what the deal was with the 3-infielder-in-the-outfield set-up against the Giants on Sunday.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    If Herrmann has a major league career, it will be in a utility role. That might include some time in CF. Sometimes I miss the sarcasm, but I don't think anyone was shocked by the moves today or Gardenhire's comments about CF. They finally figured out that it might be worthwhile to get utility players AAA experience around the OF rather than learn it at the major league level.
    All fine and good...but Hermann in CF? Ever? I don't think so. And they were giving 3 major league players experience in the OF today, so they apparently were supposed to be also learning how to do it at the major league level.
    Last edited by jokin; 05-25-2014 at 11:05 PM.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 462 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    I guess the Twins have given-up on Hicks, every warm body is being trained and auditioned as a CFer.
    Trying him there and playing him there are two different things. Don't jump to conclusions.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Does Colabello have to clear waivers?

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by clutterheart View Post
    Does Colabello have to clear waivers?
    CC has options left.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    I wouldn't go that far, but it does stink a bit of desperation.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 87 Times in 54 Posts

CF and Catcher
    Add 3B and a little power and voila... Brandon Inge.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 534 Times in 347 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hammer and Arcia will return as regulars, meaning one spot will belong to Pinto, Parmelee and Kubel. Gardy will have to do some managin' to give all those guys enough at-bats.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Or just go with pinto, because he is part of the future.
    Lighten up Francis....

Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post

Not Kubel.
    Actually, why is Kubel still on the team. He is not part of the future, and not going to add much this year. Just DFA him. (Or if Gardy loves him for some reason, DFA Nunez).

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries

Nodding head

Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Or just go with pinto, because he is part of the future.
    Absolutely agree. Don't waste at-bats on filler. The sooner we know what we may have at different spots, the sooner this might get turned around. And I don't mean this year
    Wikipedia is for suckers

In the scheme of things, Kubel MIGHT still have value, not only to the Twins but as a trading chip before August. MIGHT. Parmelee is out-of-options. He would have to pass thru waivers and doubt, really, that he would at this point. He isn't tearing up the league, but at least is on par with Colabello right now, who does have options and would be better off playing everyday at first base at Rochester where Brad Nelson is a dud at the moment. It does seem so strange to send your RBI guy down, but Pamelee can at least back up first AND the outfield. We need Danny Santana to stay around as the emergency backup in centerfield for the moment. He will disappear when Fuld comes back.

It is such a fine line at this moment about playing for the future and promoting guys who WILL be around in 2015 and beyond, of going with the retreads and such, especially since the team is hanging around .500.

The bigger questions is the rotation. Nolasco and Correia both stink. Pelfrey needs to throw faster and harder. Gibson is inconsistent. You have so much money and multiple years in a couple of the veterans. Gibson, if he can show consistency, would be the most valuable tradebait if you think he will only pan out, ultimately, as a back-of-the-rotation guy. You just can't cut and eat the salary (or maybe you can if you are replacing them with younger and cheaper arms like May, Meyer, Darnell, Dean, Stewart, Berrios et al) over the next few seasons. But then the Twins will NEVER EVER enter the free-agent pitching sweepstakes again. Call it poor scouting, National League pitchers have trouble in the American League, the inability of the Twins to retain their own people at some price, reaction to fan outcry or whatever. We can applaud that the Twins got Hughes. And, of course, running a major league baseball team is something most all of us are totally unqualified to do, so we have to go with the people who supposedly know what they are doing.
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast