Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Game Thread: Twins v Rangers, 5/26 @ 1:10pm CT

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 385 Times in 215 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by longstrangetrip View Post
    So true. In fact, I think Joe should be embarrassed to be the only player in the major leagues with a BA over .260 to have a higher OBP than SA (at least last week when I checked). You have to be an extraordinarily soft hitter, and not helping your team enough, to have that unusual aberrant stat.
    All the more reason he should try to take all the walks he can get. The best possible payoff of swinging, is a single.

Liked 3,188 Times in 1,365 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    So, fine him for taking strike 1 or leaving a runner on base?
    Yes.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 540 Times in 350 Posts
    Blog Entries
    KC for 7?

Liked 2,304 Times in 1,295 Posts
    Blog Entries
    So, fine him for taking strike 1 or leaving a runner on base? I thought you wanted him swinging at strike 1.
    He makes 23 million a year... So I'd fine him 100 bucks for everything... double dipping a potato chip... Taking a selfie... Letting a strike go by... Getting the words to Purple Haze wrong.

5. These 5 users like Riverbrian's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (05-26-2014), Hosken Bombo Disco (05-26-2014), Sconnie (05-26-2014), USAFChief (05-26-2014), Willihammer (05-26-2014)

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 540 Times in 350 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Just a little too much air under that one.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 280 Times in 152 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beezer07 View Post
    I love armchair batting champ-ing
    I know I'm guilty of that, beezer, and it usually bugs me too. But you can't argue the fact that Mauer is rated 18th among first basemen in OPS this season, and that is really hurting the team. It seems to me to be a worthwhile topic to discuss why he is so unsuccessful this year, and my theory is pitchers have finally figured out that they can get ahead of him in the count every time with impunity, since he's not going to swing at that first pitch. And ML pitchers love to work ahead in the count.

8. This user likes longstrangetrip's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (05-26-2014)

Liked 3,188 Times in 1,365 Posts
    The best possible payoff of swinging, is a single.
    Maybe that's related to his reluctance to look for a pitch to hit.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 288 Times in 146 Posts
    I know I'm guilty of that, beezer, and it usually bugs me too. But you can't argue the fact that Mauer is rated 18th among first basemen in OPS this season, and that is really hurting the team. It seems to me to be a worthwhile topic to discuss why he is so unsuccessful this year, and my theory is pitchers have finally figured out that they can get ahead of him in the count every time with impunity, since he's not going to swing at that first pitch. And ML pitchers love to work ahead in the count.
    You really think his OPS ranking is hurting the team more than the black holes at every OF position? Or that pitchers haven't known about his first-pitch tendencies for years? MLB players and coaches are smart. No way this is the first year they've finally gleaned that throwing a first-pitch strike is a good idea against him.

11. This user likes Beezer07's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Willihammer (05-26-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    He makes 23 million a year... So I'd fine him 100 bucks for everything... double dipping a potato chip... Taking a selfie... Letting a strike go by... Getting the words to Purple Haze wrong.
    Way too harsh! He'd be flat broke by the time he got to 1745 years old.

And I'm still confused. Is it "excuse me while I kiss the sky", or "this guy". I'll hang up and listen and mail you the $100.

13. These 5 users like longstrangetrip's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (05-26-2014), Riverbrian (05-26-2014), Sconnie (05-26-2014), USAFChief (05-26-2014), Willihammer (05-26-2014)

Blog Entries
    Way too harsh! He'd be flat broke by the time he got to 1745 years old.

And I'm still confused. Is it "excuse me while I kiss the sky", or "this guy". I'll hang up and listen and mail you the $100.
    Whatever it is... That girl put a smell on me!!!

15. These 4 users like Riverbrian's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (05-26-2014), Hosken Bombo Disco (05-26-2014), longstrangetrip (05-26-2014), USAFChief (05-26-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 495 Times in 288 Posts
    Always a "Head and Shoulders" reference with Mauer.
    !

it should be against the rules to win your own thread, RB..

17. These 3 users like Hosken Bombo Disco's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (05-26-2014), Riverbrian (05-26-2014), USAFChief (05-26-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    You really think his OPS ranking is hurting the team more than the black holes at every OF position? Or that pitchers haven't known about his first-pitch tendencies for years? MLB players and coaches are smart. No way this is the first year they've finally gleaned that throwing a first-pitch strike is a good idea against him.
    I agree that the OF has been a bigger problem this year, but I also expect much more from Joe based on the high percentage of the payroll we spend on him. I don't know that I agree that players and coaches are that smart. After all, it wasn't until this year that they figured out that the left fielder needs to play just off the line against Joe. I also think it has taken them a long time to realize he's not going to swing at the first pitch. The 0-0 pitch to Joe now looks exactly like a 3-0 pitch, and it didn't use to.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Twitter
    @LoganTibbits
    Liked 203 Times in 123 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Thatta kid, Hicks!
    I couldn't be a player because of bad eyesight, so I decided to be an umpire instead.

20. This user likes Tibs's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (05-26-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Whatever it is... That girl put a smell on me!!!
    Whoops I had that one wrong too...always thought it was "that girl put a Rougnud Odor on me"

22. These 2 users like longstrangetrip's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (05-26-2014), Riverbrian (05-26-2014)

Blog Entries
    The right handed Hicks Hypothesis has encouraging early results. Gonna have to increase the experimental data before a conclusion can be reached but... It looks good so far.

24. These 2 users like Riverbrian's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (05-26-2014), Sconnie (05-26-2014)

Liked 143 Times in 90 Posts
    There you go Hicksie, first game only hitting right handed and two hits.
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 385 Times in 215 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If Mauer's hurting the team so bad, blame Gardy. Its not like he's short on 1B alternates.

27. This user likes Willihammer's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Sconnie (05-26-2014)

Liked 726 Times in 386 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The right handed Hicks Hypothesis has encouraging early results. Gonna have to increase the experimental data before a conclusion can be reached but... It looks good so far.
    Today he moved his batting average to .200.

29. These 2 users like glunn's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Riverbrian (05-26-2014), USAFChief (05-26-2014)

Liked 401 Times in 264 Posts
    Blog Entries
    He's the 4th highest paid 1rst basemen in MLB, he should be able to adjust to coaching/pitching/fielding decisions made against him. If he were 5th in OPS, the first pitch strikes commentary would be picking knits, he's 18th. He's not good enough to be above criticism.

Truthfully, I do agree with you that the dearth of talent in the outfield and at DH has hurt this team more than Sloppy Joe's issues at the plate. There has been no end to OF discussions here, and First Base should be a part of the discussion too.

Liked 401 Times in 264 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sconnie View Post
    He's the 4th highest paid 1rst basemen in MLB, he should be able to adjust to coaching/pitching/fielding decisions made against him. If he were 5th in OPS, the first pitch strikes commentary would be picking knits, he's 18th. He's not good enough to be above criticism.

Truthfully, I do agree with you that the dearth of talent in the outfield and at DH has hurt this team more than Sloppy Joe's issues at the plate. There has been no end to OF discussions here, and First Base should be a part of the discussion too.
    To Willihammer's point much of the dearth of talent has been decisional by the manager as much as players available.

Pinto is on the bench rather than DHing.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast