Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Trade Block

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 119 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries

Trade Block

Reusse, on Twitter this morning, says the "Twins are trying to move Danny Valencia".

I don't really see MLB teams lining up for his services. But I was more troubled when I read this (courtesy of the Boston Globe's Nick Cafardo):

Denard Span, CF, Twins - He remains on Washington’s radar, but with Nationals closer Drew Storen on the DL, a deal is on hold for a while.

Seriously? Am I missing something? Is what's best for the future of the Minnesota Twins to trade for a closer? The Nats have a very good farm system, yet the Twins are holding out for their closer?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer minn55441's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    I agree, we need young arms. The key is multiple arms. A one for one straight up trade for a closer makes no sense what so ever. I can see a group of young prospects for Span, but we need to look to the future. We need some arms that could be ready to contribute in 2014 and 2015.

Agreed that trading Span for Storen would be a mistake. He's a young CF, affordable, playing very well, which makes him their best trade chip. But on the flip side of that, he's also just the type of player that would be nice to keep around in a rebuilding effort. Regardless of what they end up doing, I really hope they don't trade him for Storen. They definitely should be able to get more along the lines of prospects.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There is no way the Twins would be willing to trade Span for (a healthy) Storen straight up. I beleive the reason the deal didn't happen last year was because the Twins wanted another big piece but Washington wouldn't give in. That may have been Smith finally realizing you don't trade productive/promising position players for relievers. I'm sure Terry Ryan already knows this. I think Span certainly could be traded, but a relief pitcher will not be the main piece we get back.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Mr. Ed's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by righty8383 View Post
    There is no way the Twins would be willing to trade Span for (a healthy) Storen straight up. I beleive the reason the deal didn't happen last year was because the Twins wanted another big piece but Washington wouldn't give in. That may have been Smith finally realizing you don't trade productive/promising position players for relievers. I'm sure Terry Ryan already knows this. I think Span certainly could be traded, but a relief pitcher will not be the main piece we get back.
    Absolutely. And the Twins had better do more than ask for a closer who is coming off surgery. Please. They need pitching desperately.

PJ Walters/Scott Diamond are not going to turn this around for MN. THey need REAL pitchers, not soft-tossing contact guys who allow so much traffic.

Sadly, a lot of teams need pitching. And the Twins don't have a lot to offer, especially if they want to hang onto the young bats coming up.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jnygaard View Post
    Reusse, on Twitter this morning, says the "Twins are trying to move Danny Valencia".

I don't really see MLB teams lining up for his services. But I was more troubled when I read this (courtesy of the Boston Globe's Nick Cafardo):

Denard Span, CF, Twins - He remains on Washington’s radar, but with Nationals closer Drew Storen on the DL, a deal is on hold for a while.

Seriously? Am I missing something? Is what's best for the future of the Minnesota Twins to trade for a closer? The Nats have a very good farm system, yet the Twins are holding out for their closer?
    Actually, I don't think the Nats have that great of a system anymore - they graduated all their really awesome prospects. Rendon's hurt. But I agree with your sentiment. Storen would be a horrible centerpiece for us to trade Span for.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 87 Times in 54 Posts
    If I trade Span to the Nats, the guys I'm looking at are Alex Meyer 6' 9" RHP with mid 90's fastball, Kylin Turnbull 6' 5" LHP with mid 90's fastball and baby Lombo, a switch-hitting IF (mostly 2B) batting over .300 for Washington (and son of Lombo Sr. of the '87 champion Twins .) I'd take any 2 of 3 for Span, plus a throw-in lower level guy. Span is in his prime, having a great year, and reasonably priced.

It's far too easy to build a solid bullpen via free agency. Trading assets for a closer is a waste. As stated before we need young starting pitching. Then again, the thing the Twins seem to do best is waste resources.

And since the last trade of a valueable asset to the Nationals for a relief pitcher went so well, why are we trying to repeat history?

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    If I trade Span to the Nats, the guys I'm looking at are Alex Meyer 6' 9" RHP with mid 90's fastball, Kylin Turnbull 6' 5" LHP with mid 90's fastball and baby Lombo, a switch-hitting IF (mostly 2B) batting over .300 for Washington (and son of Lombo Sr. of the '87 champion Twins .) I'd take any 2 of 3 for Span, plus a throw-in lower level guy. Span is in his prime, having a great year, and reasonably priced.
    Meyer and Turnbell would both be good, but I think players have to be signed for a full year before they're traded and they were both deadline guys. They could get them as PTBNLs in mid-August though. Risky to have a centerpiece be "named later", though it did work with Pomeranz to COL last deadline, let alone both. Purke and Goodwin too. Sammy Solis, another top 10 prospect, is out for the year after TJ surgery. Lombo Jr was allegedly the deal-breaker last year..

I don't think the Nats have that great of a system anymore - they graduated all their really awesome prospects. Rendon's hurt. But I agree with your sentiment. Storen would be a horrible centerpiece for us to trade Span for.
    I guess you're kinda right. They still have a lot of guys that would rank as the Twins #2 prospect, but none of which can be acquired by trade before this year's deadline.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jnygaard View Post
    Meyer and Turnbell would both be good, but I think players have to be signed for a full year before they're traded and they were both deadline guys. They could get them as PTBNLs in mid-August though. Risky to have a centerpiece be "named later", though it did work with Pomeranz to COL last deadline, let alone both. Purke and Goodwin too. Sammy Solis, another top 10 prospect, is out for the year after TJ surgery. Lombo Jr was allegedly the deal-breaker last year..

I guess you're kinda right. They still have a lot of guys that would rank as the Twins #2 prospect, but none of which can be acquired by trade before this year's deadline.
    Right but a guy like Purke couldn't be a centerpiece. His play has slipped the last two years, he's been injured and right now, at 22, he's in EST. Turnbull is 22 and striking out 5.6 9/K at low A ball. Solis is hurt. Goodwin can't be traded yet (Twins fans explode over another toolsy OFer).

I think the Twins should look at other teams for Span. I wonder if the Twins could get a deal around Belt, Eric Surkamp and Hembree from SF. Or try and see if the Reds 'win-now' year lets them part with some of their better prospects. In any event, if the Twins can't get a Hunter Pence like deal for Span (4 players, 2 top 50 prospects), don't trade him.

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    I think the Twins should look at other teams for Span. .
    The Rangers!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I've read the Twins might be looking at the Red Sox as well since they now could use a CF. The Rangers would be ideal.

Depends on whether you want immediate or hopeful future help. I love the prospects named but if I do the deal I want Jordan Zimmerman. Would immediately be out ace & isnt FA bound for 4 yrs (counting this one). They are pitching deep & could spare an arm but are lacking a true CF/leadoff hitter....and we have Revere ready.

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 214 Times in 100 Posts
    I'm not interested in anything but starting pitchers at this point. Valencia isn't going to get you anything at this point, you might as well hold on to him and hope he heats up. I'd consider trading Span, but again, only for a starter.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 173 Times in 107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    "Call to the Pens" article about Valencia today.

http://calltothepen.com/2012/05/06/m...anny-valencia/