Thread: Article: A Look Back: Twins 2013 Draft

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 364 Times in 192 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: A Look Back: Twins 2013 Draft

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
    Thanks for the article lot of research on your part. Appears that Brandon Peterson is off to a good start. The combination of his numbers and already getting moved up looks promising for a 13th rounder. What type of pitcher is he?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Seth -
    You're wrong about something:
    Round 20 – Jason Kanzler – Outfielder – College
    Kanzler began the season at Extended Spring, but when Granite was hurt, he was called up. In 34 games (136 AB), he has hit .301/.338/.485 (.823) with four doubles, three triples and five home runs. He is also 7-8 in stolen base attempts. He’s best known for his defense, having won a couple of gold gloves in college
    That's totally false
    He is best known for his mustache:

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 43 Times in 27 Posts
    That a legit mustache if I ever saw one haha.

So Stewart not throwing his slider at all? What's his repertoire?

I had read that he wasn't throwing his slider at the beginning of the year, but I didn't know he was continuing to not throw the pitch. I wonder if they will let him throw it this year. Maybe they want him to get older and stronger before he starts to use it in pro games. It will be exciting to see his numbers when he's unleashed.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Otwins View Post
    Thanks for the article lot of research on your part. Appears that Brandon Peterson is off to a good start. The combination of his numbers and already getting moved up looks promising for a 13th rounder. What type of pitcher is he?
    Peterson is a hard thrower. Fastball guy, but he mixes in a slider as well that is pretty sharp. Very aggressive pitcher.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by drock2190 View Post
    That a legit mustache if I ever saw one haha.

So Stewart not throwing his slider at all? What's his repertoire?
    Fastball (92-95), changeup, curveball.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 75 Times in 56 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Not a bad draft. Early of course, but other drafts at this same point of glancing back haven't looked as good.

Wasn't a fan of the Eades pick.

Peterson, Stirewalt, Kanzler, and Christensen show some early potential to be late round gems.

Garver is a surprise, I believe, to many.

Excited to see what Navarreto becomes. Kid could be a hulk. And curious how Gonsalves will turn out. He was mostly just a fastball pitcher coming out of HS (something like 86% FBs). Wonder what the instructs will have done with him. Even with throwing almost exclusively gas he struck out 39 in 28 innings in the rookie leagues. Was kinda surprised he didn't get a shot at Cedar Rapids (A) by now.

Ken Kendrick of the Diamondbacks cited a study of drafts from 2002 thru 2012 which ranked the MLB teams in terms of most productive drafts. I assume by the number of players who had major league playing time. Not sure of exact criteria for MLB service but anyway the Diamondbacks were number one he said but they did not hang on to prospects because of trading them.(this was the catalyst for hiring Larussa) Does anyone know how the Twins ranked on this study?

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    I don't remember reading that one. I guess there are many ways to look at a draft. Could look at MLB WAR. Could do a simple count of those who got to the big leagues.Could look at some sort of equation backed on pick and how far they got. For instance, a 40th round pick "shouldn't" get to AA, so if they do, the drafting team should get some bonus points.

ALOT of work, great effort. Wouldn't mind seeing one for each of last five years!

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 124 Times in 80 Posts
    Kanzler is a guy that you like to watch play baseball. 100% effort all the time.