Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Article: Twins Minor League Report (5/27): Tomshaw Twirls Gem

  1. #1
    Twins Contributor Big-Leaguer Cody Christie's Avatar
    Posts
    578
    Like
    0
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    430

    Article: Twins Minor League Report (5/27): Tomshaw Twirls Gem


  2. #2
    Senior Member Triple-A h2oface's Avatar
    Posts
    370
    Like
    72
    Liked 42 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4
    Scott Diamond............. he may be wise to consider other pursuits sooner than later. The Twins would be wise to just release him and move on.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by h2oface View Post
    Scott Diamond............. he may be wise to consider other pursuits sooner than later. The Twins would be wise to just release him and move on.
    I wish they would just release Diamond and bring up Rogers or Gilmartin and then slot Berrios in AA and slot Stewart in high A.

  4. #4
    Owner MVP Seth Stohs's Avatar
    Posts
    6,509
    Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Like
    68
    Liked 379 Times in 200 Posts
    Blog Entries
    515
    Before this start, Diamond was actually pretty OK in his previous 5-6 starts. Certainly not great, like we saw in 2012, but worth keeping around.

    There has been some terrific pitching in the organization this year. Yes, there has been some really bad pitching as well, but some guys have really taken a step forward. Tomshaw and The Thing are a big part of that. Berrios was very good.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    322
    Like
    0
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    If my math is correct, after the completion of today's make-up game and the regularly scheduled game in New Britain, Eddie Rosario will be eligible to play tomorrow. Is that correct?

  6. #6
    We know Diamond can pitch, because we've seen him do it on a consistent basis. That said, I'm not sure what value there is in keeping him around anymore. With Meyer and Darnell doing ok, his chances of rejoining the Twins appear less and less likely. Maybe it's better for everyone involved if he has a change of scenery.

  7. #7
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    2,676
    Like
    306
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LewFordLives View Post
    We know Diamond can pitch, because we've seen him do it on a consistent basis. That said, I'm not sure what value there is in keeping him around anymore. With Meyer and Darnell doing ok, his chances of rejoining the Twins appear less and less likely. Maybe it's better for everyone involved if he has a change of scenery.
    I don't think it hurts the Twins at all to have him as depth - it might be better for him to go to Korea or Japan or something but that's just him. Maybe the Twins (or Diamond) think he could still have a future as a longman/LOOGY Duensing type. Anyhow, I do think that Gilmartin is above him in the pecking order but with the Twins, it doesn't really matter if you're at AA/AAA.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    247
    Like
    16
    Liked 38 Times in 33 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    If my math is correct, after the completion of today's make-up game and the regularly scheduled game in New Britain, Eddie Rosario will be eligible to play tomorrow. Is that correct?
    Yes sir.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    247
    Like
    16
    Liked 38 Times in 33 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Before this start, Diamond was actually pretty OK in his previous 5-6 starts. Certainly not great, like we saw in 2012, but worth keeping around.

    There has been some terrific pitching in the organization this year. Yes, there has been some really bad pitching as well, but some guys have really taken a step forward. Tomshaw and The Thing are a big part of that. Berrios was very good.
    So is Tomshaw even a prospect? I know he's got a shiny ERA but as a 25 year old repeating High A is there anything to get excited about or is he just a nice organizational filler piece? Low K rates as well. Not trying to be negative but it just doesn't seem too encouraging overall.

    In regards to the other comment I just don't see Diamond being a big part of the future as a starter. I would like to see him switched to bullpen and see if he can revive his career there ala Perkins and Duensing. The guy has shown he can do well, wonder if going out for less innings and cranking it up a bit would help him out. I'd also like to see Gilmartin get pushed to AAA and see how he does there. To me, he has more potential to eventually contribute as a starter at some point than Diamond does.

  10. #10
    Twins News Team MVP
    Posts
    6,735
    Like
    870
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    If my math is correct, after the completion of today's make-up game and the regularly scheduled game in New Britain, Eddie Rosario will be eligible to play tomorrow. Is that correct?
    Yes. And it can't come soon enough. It's amazing how awfully pedestrian these lineups look, in Rochester, New Britain and Cedar Rapids in particular, save for maybe a couple players total. And this on supposedly a top 5 minor league system. If Rosario, Sano and Buxton had joined Vargas at the outset, and then eventually joined in June by Berrios, Polanco, Goodrum and Lee in New Britain, that might have been the most exciting and dynamic team in all of minor league baseball.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    219
    Like
    43
    Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    If my math is correct, after the completion of today's make-up game and the regularly scheduled game in New Britain, Eddie Rosario will be eligible to play tomorrow. Is that correct?
    Didn't I read somewhere that Rosario is going to start back at High A Fort Myers?

  12. #12
    Owner MVP Seth Stohs's Avatar
    Posts
    6,509
    Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Like
    68
    Liked 379 Times in 200 Posts
    Blog Entries
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by halfchest View Post
    So is Tomshaw even a prospect? I know he's got a shiny ERA but as a 25 year old repeating High A is there anything to get excited about or is he just a nice organizational filler piece? Low K rates as well. Not trying to be negative but it just doesn't seem too encouraging overall.
    Depends on what you're looking for. Again, I don't think I could care any less about age to level of competition for guys who could come up in a role playing option. I don't think anyone is going to say that Tomshaw as a prospect is going to be the next Clayton Kershaw. But, could he be Andrew Albers? Could he become Caleb Thielbar? Keep going with him and moving him up until he reaches the wall, whether that's in AA, AAA or even the big leagues. He's not a Top 40-50 type of prospect, but it's still ok to care about these guys too.

  13. #13
    Owner MVP Seth Stohs's Avatar
    Posts
    6,509
    Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Like
    68
    Liked 379 Times in 200 Posts
    Blog Entries
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by kdrupp09 View Post
    Didn't I read somewhere that Rosario is going to start back at High A Fort Myers?
    Yeah, he will most likely get a handful of games there before moving up to New Britain.

  14. #14
    Twins News Team MVP
    Posts
    6,735
    Like
    870
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by halfchest View Post
    So is Tomshaw even a prospect? I know he's got a shiny ERA but as a 25 year old repeating High A is there anything to get excited about or is he just a nice organizational filler piece? Low K rates as well. Not trying to be negative but it just doesn't seem too encouraging overall.

    In regards to the other comment I just don't see Diamond being a big part of the future as a starter. I would like to see him switched to bullpen and see if he can revive his career there ala Perkins and Duensing. The guy has shown he can do well, wonder if going out for less innings and cranking it up a bit would help him out. I'd also like to see Gilmartin get pushed to AAA and see how he does there. To me, he has more potential to eventually contribute as a starter at some point than Diamond does.
    Gilmartin had nothing left to prove in AA, last year. He's spinning his wheels in New Britain and really needs to be in AAA to see he if can become a legitimate Twins depth option. Diamond is in full career implosion, he at least was dominating in 6 starts last year in Rochester. Whatever the cause (probably physical?), there is little case to be made from his less horrible recent starts for leaving him in the rotation, what with better options having earned the opportunity for the spot.

  15. #15
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,713
    Like
    1,159
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    I agree on Gilmartin vs Diamond. But the Twins don't. So I have given up worrying about it.
    Lighten up Francis....

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    It's amazing how awfully pedestrian these lineups look, in Rochester, New Britain and Cedar Rapids in particular, save for maybe a couple players total. And this on supposedly a top 5 minor league system.

    I commented something to that affect on another thread. I don't really understand how our system is rated so highly or considered so deep. Sure, when healthy, the Twins have a couple of elite and high-end talent (looking at you Buxton, Sano, Meyer, Stewart, Thorpe, Vargas et al), but also some real big disappointments. The big three young pitching prospects that I was excited to follow have failed. Felix Jorge, Yorman Landa, and Randy Rosario, blech. I know there are some people to be excited about, but I have a hard time getting there without our elite guys. Maybe that's just the way it is with this many minor leaguers and perhaps the supposedly less elite systems have even less to follow. I dunno, but I just have the feeling of being underwhelmed. Am I way off base?

  17. #17
    Senior Member Triple-A h2oface's Avatar
    Posts
    370
    Like
    72
    Liked 42 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Before this start, Diamond was actually pretty OK in his previous 5-6 starts. Certainly not great, like we saw in 2012, but worth keeping around.
    Diamond's last 10 starts:
    4 earned in 2 innings,
    4 in 3,
    7 in 4,
    2 in 6,
    6 in 5,
    1 in 6.2,
    5 in 8,
    3 in 5.1,
    3 in 7,

    7 in 3.1

    I see no consistency, game to game, unless it is pitching poor. And this is AAA ball. That is why his ERA is 7.51. He really only found success possibly worth considering promotion in 3 games, while the others were screaming for demotion, with one push. Plus, the average against is .355.... in AAA. 2012 is a long time ago.
    Last edited by h2oface; 05-28-2014 at 04:55 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.