Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Article: Twins Draft Preview: Mock Draft v.2.0

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 119 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Twins Draft Preview: Mock Draft v.2.0

From what I read, I would be disappointed if the Twins passed on Gordon. I understand he more of a high risk player, but Nola sounds like the middle of the rotation guy. I'd rather go upside at 5 instead of a safe pick.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 463 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Not a huge fan of Nola, given his delivery and the strain it puts on his elbow. I'd rather have Gordon.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 45 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We need a SS more than we need a middle of the rotation guy (Nola). If we don't select Gordon, where will our future SS come from? Santana and Gordon have equal chances of becoming a competent major league SS and I predict Gordon will be the better of the two.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 271 Times in 195 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    Not a huge fan of Nola, given his delivery and the strain it puts on his elbow. I'd rather have Gordon.
    Between the two, I would rather have Gordon as well. I really hope one of Aiken-Rodon-Jackson-Kolek falls to us. The upside with those guys seems to be much, much higher than Gordon or Nola. I would prefer Touki or Newcomb over Gordon or Nola.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Not a fan. Touki or Gordon please in that scenario.

Senior Member Triple-A InfraRen's Avatar
    Twitter
    @InfraRen
    Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
    Would be pretty salty about a Nola pick. I can see you predicting him as "Twins pick" but the last few pitchers they've acquired high in the draft, or via trade (Stewart, Meyer, May) are not "Twins picks" so maybe the trend has been bucked. Would much rather take a chance on a guy like Touki who at least has upside to be a top of the rotation guy.

Callis likens Nola to a slightly better Mike Leake, with the ceiling of a good #3. That's not what I want at #5.

Gordon presents a near perfect blend of need and BPA at #5. If he's there, he should be the pick (barring one of the top 3 pitchers slides, perhaps Jackson, or the off chance they love Touki/Newcomb.)
    Last edited by InfraRen; 05-29-2014 at 08:50 AM.
    Till I Collapse

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    I think I'm actually more excited about our second pick than the first. From what I've read, it's pretty certain that the Twins will take Gordon if he's there. If not, it's Nola. Both are fine with me.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 379 Times in 233 Posts
    Why do you make me sad on a beautiful Thursday morning?

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 379 Times in 200 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I 100% believe in Best Player Available, but I am definitely riding the Aaron Nola bandwagon right now. I think his floor is #3 starter, but I think with his pitches, sink, velocity, he could be even more, and he could be up in 2015!

A rotation of Nolasco, Hughes, Meyer, Gibson and Nola sounds pretty exciting to me!

That said, I'm not going to pretend to have watched him pitch enough over the years to know for certain. And, I've never seen Nick Gordon (or Alex Jackson, or any of these guys) enough to pretend I know what his ceiling is. I don't see a high ceiling for Gordon from reports I've read, though I like his genetics.

Kolek scares me the most of anyone. I'd avoid him, but who knows, he could be that rare exception of a guy who is able to maintain 102 for a decade or more...

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 379 Times in 200 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    I think I'm actually more excited about our second pick than the first. From what I've read, it's pretty certain that the Twins will take Gordon if he's there. If not, it's Nola. Both are fine with me.
    That's my stance too... I'm fine with any of those top six guys.

Senior Member MVP
    2015? no chance, imo.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Double-A
    Blog Entries
    A ship is always safe in the harbor, but that is not what it was built for. Don't take a "safe pick" on the 5th draft choice. We desperately need a SS, the rarest quality position player on a team. If you don't take a risk, you are guaranteeing things will remain the same. If the big 3 pitchers are not available, draft Gordon.

Senior Member Double-A
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    I 100% believe in Best Player Available, but I am definitely riding the Aaron Nola bandwagon right now. I think his floor is #3 starter, but I think with his pitches, sink, velocity, he could be even more, and he could be up in 2015!

A rotation of Nolasco, Hughes, Meyer, Gibson and Nola sounds pretty exciting to me!

That said, I'm not going to pretend to have watched him pitch enough over the years to know for certain. And, I've never seen Nick Gordon (or Alex Jackson, or any of these guys) enough to pretend I know what his ceiling is. I don't see a high ceiling for Gordon from reports I've read, though I like his genetics.

Kolek scares me the most of anyone. I'd avoid him, but who knows, he could be that rare exception of a guy who is able to maintain 102 for a decade or more...
    So we don't draft Kolek because he throws the ball too fast?

Take BAA.

If Gordon is not BAA, then spend the whole 2014 Int'l Pool Money if necessary on the top Int'l SS.

Senior Member MVP
    good one bill....good one. That has not been their MO with int'l FA. It has been to get lots of guys, and see if one sticks.
    Lighten up Francis....

If we take Nola, I going to think that it is a total cost saving move. To be frank I would hate that move. A. he has less upside. and you can say that kolek (who I think will be gone by the time we pick) is risky but I'd much rather take the risk than go safe. B. love the fact that they have no problem taking raw postion players but they taking a raw pitcher with upside. that would be no no

I agree with Seth! Steer clear of Kolek.. I understand that he throws 102.. but he is the riskiest of all the top players in this class (see Stetson Allie a few years ago). I see him being a closer or high octane reliever not as a starter. And no one wants to waste a top 5 pick on a reliever. Aiken is by far the best player in the class and he is going to be off the board. Rodon will be gone as well. I personally think we go college arm this year. Hoffman would be cheap and might have the highest ceiling of all the college starters when healthy. Plus TJ is already out of the way. I can and will keep saying though that I like the big strong lefty in Newcomb though more than Nola and Freeland. He just looks like the next Jon Lester. Gordon, eh, leave him for the birds.

Sano was the exception and he is their top int'l prospect.

With 18 million coming off the books at the end of 2014 (Willingham, Correia, Burton, and Kubel), spend the money on young int'l free agents and signing team friendly long term deals with pre-free agency players (like Rays did with Longeria).

2014 & 2015 is a transition period for the Twins. Unlike Mike Trout. most prospects take awhile to succeed at the MLB level.

Every decision should be based on what's best for the period of 2016 to 2022.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 271 Times in 195 Posts
    Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=Seth Stohs;233731]I 100% believe in Best Player Available, but I am definitely riding the Aaron Nola bandwagon right now. I think his floor is #3 starter, but I think with his pitches, sink, velocity, he could be even more, and he could be up in 2015!

That said, I'm not going to pretend to have watched him pitch enough over the years to know for certain. And, I've never seen Nick Gordon (or Alex Jackson, or any of these guys) enough to pretend I know what his ceiling is. I don't see a high ceiling for Gordon from reports I've read, though I like his genetics.QUOTE]

Of the few scouting reports I have read on Nola (I have never seen him pitch outside of a few video's either), this one seems to be consensus. A plus fastball, good to excellent control. No real consensus on his secondary offerings, most have them at average and some think the curve could develop. The comp to a #3 who can be up quick seems to be the general thought. Given that he will be 21 next week, the odds of that second plus pitch emerging seems to be much less than a guy like Touki, who most say is closer to having 2 plus pitches at 18.

If you accept the following truths, it is hard for me to conclude Nola should be the pick:

1) we will never sign a front line starter in free agency
    2) most teams in the playoffs/world series have at least one front line starter
    3) Even the Twins are able to sign a #3 starter without breaking the bank (last offseason you could argue we signed two and almost another)

http://www.twinkietown.com/2014/5/27...ort-aaron-nola
    Last edited by tobi0040; 05-29-2014 at 10:12 AM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast