Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reusse: 50 Game Grades

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries

Reusse: 50 Game Grades

http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins/261039661.html

Patrick Reusse posted his Twins position grades through the season's first 50 games. He wasn't kind, as you'd expect, not that I disagree with many of his grades. I wonder what Brian Dozier needs to do for 2B to be an A.

What do you think?

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,598 Times in 831 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Can't argue with most of it but Perkins at a B+ and Dozier at a B?

Come on. That's absurd. Perkins, A- and Dozier, A. Dozier is on his way to a 5 WAR season, for crying out loud.

3. This user likes Brock Beauchamp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Mike Frasier Law (05-29-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Joe A. Preusser's Avatar
    Liked 165 Times in 95 Posts
    Dozier deserves an A, the DH at least a C, and only an idiot would give Mauer a D.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe A. Preusser View Post
    Dozier deserves an A, the DH at least a C, and only an idiot would give Mauer a D.
    I'd give Mauer a D if the expectation is Joe Mauer-level production. He has vastly underperformed this season.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 859 Times in 553 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Can't argue with most of it but Perkins at a B+ and Dozier at a B?

Come on. That's absurd. Perkins, A- and Dozier, A. Dozier is on his way to a 5 WAR season, for crying out loud.
    Perkins in my book is a B+ and Dozier is obviously an A. I'm wondering, since Reusse just finished covering live all of the Giants games on a "working vacation" that left him very obviously negative on what was happening with the Twins, if Reusse based some of his grades, like Dozier's, skewed towards the recency effect of the Twins getting dominated in AT&T. He clearly sent out his attack dogs, LEN and Scoggins, who up to this point had been pretty meek when it came to editorializing about the Twins.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 61 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There are a few grades that I have a few minor quibbles with. Regarding Suzuki do we grade off of expectations coming into the season or are we comparing what we have with other teams. If we are going off of expectations he gets an A or A-. Dedunno has been better than a C. I give him a B. SS is the right averaged grade though to be more clear Escobar gets an A and Florimon gets an F. At DH Pinto is a B and Kubel is a D- (if he is going to separate the starting pitchers and grade them he can separate the 2 DH's and grade them individually). Casey Fien has also been an A and Deunsing an A or A-. everything else appears to be spot on.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Kirby_Waved_At_Me's Avatar
    Liked 167 Times in 88 Posts
    No grades for the Coaching Staff?

9. These 2 users like Kirby_Waved_At_Me's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (05-29-2014), mike wants wins (05-29-2014)

Twitter
    @LoganTibbits
    Liked 203 Times in 123 Posts
    Blog Entries
    How would you grade this outfit by position after 50 games? Scratch that. I don’t really care.

That’s my 50-game report. If you disagree with this grading, I don’t care.
    What in the heck is this guy's problem? Does he usually write like this?

I do disagree with a few of Mr. Reusse's grades, but apparently he doesn't care.
    I couldn't be a player because of bad eyesight, so I decided to be an umpire instead.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 668 Times in 377 Posts
    I get the sense that he's working from a strict sense of "C equal adequate". Though I agree Dozier should most certainly be an A. I'm not sure what else he could really do.

But Mauer has earned every bit of that D.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tibs View Post
    What in the heck is this guy's problem? Does he usually write like this?

I do disagree with a few of Mr. Reusse's grades, but apparently he doesn't care.
    He got from you exactly the reaction he desired. This stuff is mild in comparison to much of his pot-stirring in the past. In reality, he wants people to care, he's just not sure if enough fans care, and especially if Twins management and ownership cares as much as he does.

When he does get on a campaign though, as he apparently has begun now with the Twins, he harnesses all the beat-writing troops to do some of the dirty work to help gain critical mass to the story, and then really lets his subject have it. I suspect there's an escalation in his writing intensity still to come if the Twins don't turn things in his desired direction.
    Last edited by jokin; 05-29-2014 at 09:43 AM.

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 214 Times in 100 Posts
    Dozier is on his way to a 5 WAR season, for crying out loud.
    You should explain that point to Reusse.

14. This user likes Boom Boom's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (05-29-2014)

Twitter
    @LoganTibbits
    Liked 203 Times in 123 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    He got from you exactly the reaction he desired. This stuff is mild in comparison to much of his pot-stirring in the past. In reality, he wants people to care, he's just not sure if enough fans care, and especially if Twins management and ownership cares as much as he does.

When he does get on a campaign though, as he apparently has begun now with the Twins, he harnesses all the beat-writing troops to do some of the dirty work to help gain critical mass to the story, and then really lets his subject have it. I suspect there's an escalation in his writing intensity still to come if the Twins don't turn things in his desired direction.
    I don't read the Star Tribune, so I didn't know if the guy is a jerk or not.
    I couldn't be a player because of bad eyesight, so I decided to be an umpire instead.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Out of qualified second basemen, only Utley has a higher WAR than Dozier.

Yeah, that's a B grade.

17. These 2 users like Brock Beauchamp's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (05-29-2014), Tibs (05-29-2014)

Liked 17 Times in 10 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    I wonder what Brian Dozier needs to do for 2B to be an A.
    More #ribbies
    I just started the blog Troy Williamson's Hands which is about MN sports and whatever else I want to write--you can find it at http://troywilliamsonshands.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @dose17

Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Lazy columnists write negative articles. Reusse was a negative writer even back in his Pioneer Press days. When in doubt he hits below the belt.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thegrin View Post
    Lazy columnists write negative articles. Reusse was a negative writer even back in his Pioneer Press days. When in doubt he hits below the belt.
    Given his workload, I'm not sure it's fair to characterize him as lazy. And he has a gift with the written word. But he has no problem with cheap shot writing tactics, deserved or not, and designed with full intent to hit all the public hot buttons. As I've mentioned previously, I have little doubt that his current favorite TV character is nihilistic hitman, Lorne Malvo (Billy Bob Thornon) on Fargo.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts
    I have no problem with Reusse. Unlike other columnists out there, I've always had the sense that he genuinely loves baseball and wants the Twins to be good. He might be a bit old school - likes RBIs and Wins - but at least he cares.

Not a big problem with his grades - Mauer has been horrible this year and I'm actually surprised on how little crap he's gotten for it from the press. His .079 ISO is ridiculously small. That's the 13th worst in MLB this year.

22. This user likes gunnarthor's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

USAFChief (05-29-2014)

Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 198 Times in 97 Posts
    Doesn't seem like anyone's mentioned it in the face of the Dozier underrating, but what would Casey Fien have to do to get an A? Aside from Perkins, there's no one I'd rather have out there in tight situations.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 380 Times in 233 Posts
    Out of qualified second basemen, only Utley has a higher WAR than Dozier.

Yeah, that's a B grade.
    Well Reusse gave Plouffe props for his RBI total so I'm guessing WAR may not be something he is looking at. More likely he sees the .247 BA and is giving him demerits. Old school stats for Ruesse.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 25 Times in 16 Posts
    I'd give Mauer a D if the expectation is Joe Mauer-level production. He has vastly underperformed this season.
    I would grade him against his peers (other 1st basemen). He is ranked 22 out of 27 qualified in OPS and WAR. Even if you only look at OBP he is ranked 12 out of 27, middle of the road. He definately deserves a D like Brock and Pat say.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast