Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Star Tribune continues to lift the restrictions on things usually left unsaid

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 858 Times in 553 Posts
    Blog Entries

Star Tribune continues to lift the restrictions on things usually left unsaid

"Mauer booed, Twins' offensive struggles continue"

http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins/261032391.html

The StarTribune is continuing their recent campaign of more pointed Twins coverage, this time employing a byline from a new cub reporter with the very interesting name of Master Tesfatsion. Give the reporter credit for getting the story out and asking Joe the tough questions, and also give credit to Mauer for manning up, offering no excuses, and dealing with the matter straight on. (This little story offers quite a contrast to Jim Souhan, who wrote standard apologist fodder for Mauer's recent woes just over a week ago):

“Runs were at a premium and it was tough,” Mauer said. “I’m probably a lot more frustrated than those people that were booing.”
    Mauer is 8-for-32 over his past eight games. During this series, he’s 2-for-12 with one RBI.
    “I’m feeling pretty good actually, which is even more frustrating,” Mauer said. “I’m hitting a lot of balls hard and just not having much to show for it. Hopefully that turns here soon.”

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 392 Times in 206 Posts
    Anyone who would boo Mauer is a freaking idiot.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

3. These 8 users like SpiritofVodkaDave's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Beezer07 (05-29-2014), DJL44 (05-29-2014), Halsey Hall (05-29-2014), Jdosen (05-29-2014), Paul Pleiss (05-30-2014), tarheeltwinsfan (05-29-2014), Tibs (05-29-2014), Twins Twerp (05-29-2014)

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Or, they were booing an at bat, not his entire career. Sports are entertainment, fans can do what they want, and should not, imo, be judged on how they are a fan. YMMV, of course.

And, I don't think the STrib has even come close to the depth of "outrage" that other major papers would have by now.
    Lighten up Francis....

5. This user likes mike wants wins's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

righty8383 (05-29-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 287 Times in 145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Or, they were booing an at bat, not his entire career. Sports are entertainment, fans can do what they want, and should not, imo, be judged on how they are a fan. YMMV, of course.

And, I don't think the STrib has even come close to the depth of "outrage" that other major papers would have by now.
    I am personally tired of "outrage" at every little thing. Surely people aren't so emotional as to need to become wildly upset at every opportunity. I'm glad the STrib has "showed restraint" in this area.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    I am indifferent on the STrib's commentary, I was just pointing out that they are still awfully gentle on this team, imo, compared to what other papers would be doing.
    Lighten up Francis....

Liked 1,295 Times in 749 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beezer07 View Post
    I am personally tired of "outrage" at every little thing. Surely people aren't so emotional as to need to become wildly upset at every opportunity. I'm glad the STrib has "showed restraint" in this area.
    I don't think it is surprising that Mauer was booed. I don't know if I'd call it outrage or frustration (and it sounds like he was frustrated himself).

He has a line of .194/.380/.389/.769 with RISP in 2014. For his career, he has a line of .330/.452/.477/.929.

So he has a pretty substantial drop-off this year. It isn't surprising that people would boo when he doesn't come through in the late innings with runners on base.

And little posts like this one from Phil Mackey aren't going to quell the booing:

Last edited by JB_Iowa; 05-29-2014 at 10:34 AM.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Tyler Mason @FSNtylermason · 50m

I asked Joe Mauer this morning if his back was still bothering him. His answer was was a clear "No." #MNTwins

Tyler Mason carrying the workload for the early-morning pregame Mauer updates.
    Last edited by jokin; 05-29-2014 at 10:57 AM.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Tyler Mason @FSNtylermason · 19m

Joe Mauer today: "It's been frustrating. I've had some good at-bats and hit the ball hard. It seems like I'm hitting it at people."

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Tyler Mason @FSNtylermason · 1m

More Gardy on Mauer: "The expectations are very high for him. People get frustrated. I just don't want Joe to get frustrated."

​A little (mini-)crisis management going on?

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,598 Times in 831 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Tyler Mason @FSNtylermason · 19m

Joe Mauer today: "It's been frustrating. I've had some good at-bats and hit the ball hard. It seems like I'm hitting it at people."
    I immediately dismissed this comment as lazy excuse-making but then I looked at the stats.

Here's a weird one for you:

Joe Mauer is posting a career high LD% in 2014 at 28.6%.

Double-U. Tee. Eff.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    I immediately dismissed this comment as junk but then I looked at the stats.

Here's a weird one for you:

Joe Mauer is posting a career high LD% in 2014 at 28.6%.

Double-U. Tee. Eff.
    There's an article needing to be written on the shifts being employed on Mauer. He must have already lost close to 10 doubles from LFers hugging the line on him and routinely catching those screaming liners that used to roll all the way to the wall....

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 379 Times in 233 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beezer07 View Post
    Outrage may not be the best word, but one would have to be a pretty passive fan to not be disappointed and upset that their team is in a four year relationship with losing.

Emotionless and passiveness are not two of the better upper midwest behavioral stereotypes.

Still, I think booing is dumb and says more about the fan that it does about the player.

In my book, booing means "I want attention for my displeasure and I'll do it loud enough so everyone can hear and appreciate me!" Or "Well, everyone else is doing it!"

Go home and watch your reality TV shows, you're their target audience.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,598 Times in 831 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There's an article needing to be written on the shifts being employed on Mauer. He must have already lost close to 10 doubles from LFers hugging the line on him and routinely catching those screaming liners that used to roll all the way to the wall....
    Good point. I'd love to read that study.

Parker Hageman. Paging Parker Hageman.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 668 Times in 377 Posts
    Booing shows passion. It could be far worse. (Indifference)

17. These 4 users like TheLeviathan's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (05-29-2014), righty8383 (05-29-2014), Sconnie (05-29-2014), USAFChief (05-29-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 489 Times in 285 Posts
    From the few games I've seen, I have seen Mauer hit a couple line drives to left fielders practically standing on the foul line. I've seen Kubel hit a ground ball directly at a shifted infielder every time he puts a ball in play. It makes you wonder if there isn't anything you can do about it as a hitter (besides bunting). You can't really call it unlucky when it happens over and over.

Liked 90 Times in 36 Posts
    The booing seemed more directed at the team's offense in general, which is completely justifiable as they have been dreadful over the last couple of weeks.

"Mediocre breaking balls are a gift from God." - Kirby Puckett

Liked 3,170 Times in 1,357 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosken Bombo Disco View Post
    From the few games I've seen, I have seen Mauer hit a couple line drives to left fielders practically standing on the foul line. I've seen Kubel hit a ground ball directly at a shifted infielder every time he puts a ball in play. It makes you wonder if there isn't anything you can do about it as a hitter (besides bunting). You can't really call it unlucky when it happens over and over.
    In the case of Mauer, I think he could look for pitches to pull rather than starting so many PAs with two strikes.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    In the case of Mauer, I think he could look for pitches to pull rather than starting so many PAs with two strikes.
    In every Mauer PA, there are plenty of pullable pitches, and now, many RFers are literally playing 100 feet off of the RF line, as if he's a slow-bat-speed pitcher at the plate. Time for a video session or two, come to grips with the new realities of the Mauer shifts, and then a rethinking of Joe's usual delayed-swing philosophy.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 221 Times in 96 Posts
    Listening to Dick talk about how often he is getting robbed of a sure double is getting old though. He's not getting robbed if he hits it right at the left fielder. How many hits do you think Ortiz has been "robbed" of during his career because he hit it right at the 2b that's roaming the outfield?

23. These 4 users like notoriousgod71's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Kwak (05-30-2014), Mr. Brooks (05-30-2014), Sconnie (05-29-2014), Winston Smith (05-29-2014)

The problem with Mauer trying to pull more is if you throw him anything offspeed low it's almost a guaranteed ground ball to second base. He had a BABIP of .383 last year so I think him being "robbed" more is just regression to the mean.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast