Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mauer and Emotion

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 41 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries

Mauer and Emotion

I was thinking today about how Mauer is so stoic. He reminds me of Sam Jacobson, another repressed Minnesota boy. If Mauer could only light a fire under himself! Show some emotion. Get mad. Line out and shout. Curse out a ****ing umpire for ringing him up. Something to show us fans that he cares.

But he is who he is. He can't change that. We'll never see that kind of fire in him. Sad, but true. Why wouldn't I be used to this by now?

Then the image came to me of the video of Joe running the bases for his inside-the-park home run in a tee-ball game. How he laid out, mock-exhausted, happy, delirious, on the grass and was mobbed by his pals. I think that's the most emotion I've ever seen in him.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    I get why the emotion thing bugs people but I also don't like confusing politeness for not caring. He's clearly a great player, probably going to the HOF and he certainly cares about baseball.

Look at this play - hell of a play and no emotion from Mauer. I remember Yankee fans trolling twins cites saying how he'd be in NY in a year.
    http://m.mlb.com/video/v4608765/minn...e-in-the-ninth

There have been a lot of quite great players - nothing wrong with that. I just wish Mauer was putting up Mauer numbers this year.

3. These 8 users like gunnarthor's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Beezer07 (05-29-2014), benchwarmerjim (05-31-2014), Hosken Bombo Disco (05-29-2014), jm3319 (05-30-2014), LaBombo (05-29-2014), Sconnie (05-29-2014), Tibs (05-31-2014), tobi0040 (05-30-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 287 Times in 145 Posts
    I'm with gunn on this. I've never bought into the "you need to scream and yell" argument. I don't think a guy reaches the majors by needing the artificial motivation of cussing out a teammate to play well.

5. These 2 users like Beezer07's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

tobi0040 (05-30-2014), twinsnorth49 (05-29-2014)

Liked 1,279 Times in 740 Posts
    I don't expect Mauer to scream and shout. I just don't want Mauer's stoicism to act as a damper on the players that do want to scream and shout.

That is one of the things that seems a little bit different this year with Suzuki and the younger players ... they seem a little more willing/able to let loose with emotion.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 199 Posts
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

8. These 4 users like SpiritofVodkaDave's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

benchwarmerjim (05-31-2014), jm3319 (05-30-2014), twinsnorth49 (05-29-2014), Willihammer (05-29-2014)

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 372 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ScrapTheNickname View Post
    I was thinking today about how Mauer is so stoic. He reminds me of Sam Jacobson, another repressed Minnesota boy. If Mauer could only light a fire under himself! Show some emotion. Get mad. Line out and shout. Curse out a ****ing umpire for ringing him up. Something to show us fans that he cares.
    If someone can convince me that acting like that would have made him a better player, I'd be good with it.

10. These 6 users like Seth Stohs's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

benchwarmerjim (05-31-2014), ChiTownTwinsFan (05-29-2014), LaBombo (05-29-2014), mike wants wins (05-29-2014), Sconnie (05-29-2014), twinsnorth49 (05-29-2014)

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 662 Times in 374 Posts
    My only concern with Mauer's general approach is if the team unfairly compares someone with fire and spark as being a "bad personality" for him to mix with. As long as that's not happening I really don't care.

Member Rookie
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    He's a grown **s man! He doesn't need to act like a professional child. He's a professional baseball player, with class.

13. This user likes Mauerpower's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Twins Twerp (05-31-2014)

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    If someone can convince me that acting like that would have made him a better player, I'd be good with it.
    If someone can convince me that acting like that would not make the others around him pick it up a notch, I'd be good with it.

It's not about him. Someone in this team has to show to the rest that losing is unacceptable. Usually that someone is the one with the largest paycheck, thus this being brought up often and early, esp. the last 4 seasons.

I would care less if that some were Mauer or not (and have no problem with Mauer being Mauer,) but someone has to do it...
    Last edited by Thrylos; 05-29-2014 at 06:35 PM.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member Big-Leaguer amjgt's Avatar
    Liked 165 Times in 95 Posts
    Sometimes I feel like he is in "catcher mode." He doesn't want to question the ump, because he thinks he can get it back on the other side of the plate.

Catcher mode = Don't piss off the ump.

Joe, you're a first baseman now. Feel free to be an a-hole and lay into an ump every once in a while.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 42 Times in 28 Posts
    Blog Entries
    A player not showing emotion being equated to not caring. Let me lay out a little example here of the person your behaving like.

Its your kids first day at school, your wife/gf is pacing the floor full of anxiety in omg what if this or this or this happens blah blah blah. Basically just freaking out all day & here you are, the calm father understanding this is normal & yes anything can happen but your not going to allow a normal situation rule your emotion.

Then you get the "how can you not be freaking out too, whats wrong with you, why don't you care!?!?!?!?!"

You care, your just not freaking crazy.

Those who are so hellbent on assuming Mauer not wearing his emotion on the sleeve = not caring. Yes your being that person, you've officially become your crazy significant other.

17. These 2 users like Trevor0333's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jm3319 (05-30-2014), Stan Zbornak (05-30-2014)

Liked 397 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor0333 View Post
    A player not showing emotion being equated to not caring. Let me lay out a little example here of the person your behaving like.

Its your kids first day at school, your wife/gf is pacing the floor full of anxiety in omg what if this or this or this happens blah blah blah. Basically just freaking out all day & here you are, the calm father understanding this is normal & yes anything can happen but your not going to allow a normal situation rule your emotion.

Then you get the "how can you not be freaking out too, whats wrong with you, why don't you care!?!?!?!?!"

You care, your just not freaking crazy.

Those who are so hellbent on assuming Mauer not wearing his emotion on the sleeve = not caring. Yes your being that person, you've officially become your crazy significant other.
    But you have the wife side of the equation in this example. Arcia has been the yin to Mauer's ever so stoic yang. Can Arcia become the vocal team leader? He has the bat and mouth for it, can he develop the cred and the management's trust to continue?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 42 Times in 28 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sconnie View Post
    But you have the wife side of the equation in this example. Arcia has been the yin to Mauer's ever so stoic yang. Can Arcia become the vocal team leader? He has the bat and mouth for it, can he develop the cred and the management's trust to continue?
    The point was not showing physical emotion doesn't mean you don't care & it sounds awfully like wife nagging when guys dont wear it on their sleeve.

Yes if you equate Mauer not showing it to meaning he doesnt care your acting just like that nagging wife.

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 775 Times in 407 Posts
    Mystery creates wonder, and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand. - N. Armstrong

I would love to see him have a little more emotion. Like somewhere between Arcia and a rock. Joe just isn't that guy, though, and I believe he never will be. In every interview we ever see him in, he acts almost timid and answers questions quickly and gets to the point. Watch videos of exciting walkoffs, he is like and maybe a "woo" but that's it. He is an introvert and I believe helps keep him focused. I understand wanting more, but we will have to settle for watching a future HOFer wear Minnesota on his chest for a decade+

Why do I get the feeling that the Mauer haters would spin outward emotions into a negative. Arguing with an umpire would be selfish. More vocal in the clubhouse would suddenly be a distant second to on field performance.

I just want him to be clutch. He can be a goddamn stoic, emotionless mute with an ability to control himself that rivals the guards at Buckingham Palace for the rest of his HOF career as long as he starts producing when the freaking game is on the line.
    Last edited by Westgaard66; 05-30-2014 at 12:03 AM.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 41 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Westgaard66 View Post
    I just want him to be clutch. He can be a goddamn stoic, emotionless mute with an ability to control himself that rivals the guards at Buckingham Palace for the rest of his HOF career as long as he starts producing when the freaking game is on the line.
    This should have been my final paragraph in my initial post. My frustration stems from Mauer's poor performance on the field. Stoic or enraged, I don't care. I just want to see him beat the shift, and strike out less often, and get the average above .300.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,585 Times in 823 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Westgaard66 View Post
    Mauer is very good with runners on base. I have no freakin' idea how this myth is still rumbling around Twins fans' heads. It takes all of 15 seconds to check the stat line and see that it's false.

Liked 3,158 Times in 1,351 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Mauer is very good with runners on base.
    Not so far this year.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast