Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mauer and Emotion

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,598 Times in 831 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    Not so far this year.
    He has an .815 OPS with men on base this year. A .751 OPS with RISP.

His OPS for the year is .704.

Statistical white noise that doesn't mean anything. Joe's problem is his overall line, not how he's hitting with men on base or RISP.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 53 Times in 21 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Never mind that our pitching is below average, that most of the lineup is below average, that our outfield defense reminds me of that "Delmon Young on Ice" show I brought my kids to last week, that we've had less power hitting in the month of May than the collective efforts of Jason Tyner and Ben Revere [subtracting one recent hit], that we've had shortstops in the outfield and minor league filler at shortstop.... but if Mauer would show some enthusiasm, boy howdy would that turn this team around....
    Last edited by LimestoneBaggy; 05-30-2014 at 08:31 AM. Reason: Stupid Brock, always pointing out my flaws
    I will one day successfully sneak onto the Sportive Podcast, and have nothing intelligent to say or add to the conversation.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LimestoneBaggy View Post
    we have shortstops in the outfield and minor league filler at shortstop
    It's pretty hard to complain about what Escobar has been doing at short. I'm very skeptical that it will continue but hey, at least he's doing well in the short-term.

Senior Member Double-A
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    It's pretty hard to complain about what Escobar has been doing at short. I'm very skeptical that it will continue but hey, at least he's doing well in the short-term.
    You are 100% correct on this. I am very pleased that Escobar has received an opportunity to take the position and run with it. I was directing that more toward Florimon's inability to hit the ball and Nunez being Nunez. While I'm at it, I'll exclude Santana from my rant as well.
    I will one day successfully sneak onto the Sportive Podcast, and have nothing intelligent to say or add to the conversation.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    I was directing that more toward Florimon's inability to hit the ball
    Something the Twins should have noticed in August of last year but... Water under the bridge at this point, I suppose.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    My oldest son is an introvert. When given a leadership role, he is awesome. But he does not seek them out. He prefers to do what he does well, and not be the center of attention. A large portion of the population is like him, including my wife. I think, from what you can see, most athletes are not that way. But, I am pretty sure Joe is. And as long as he gets on base, I guess I don't care if he's a great leader.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 273 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Beezer07 View Post
    I'm with gunn on this. I've never bought into the "you need to scream and yell" argument. I don't think a guy reaches the majors by needing the artificial motivation of cussing out a teammate to play well.

I agree. I am guessing nobody on our team prepares and watches tape on the opposing pitchers like Mauer. Watching that preparation on a daily basis does more to inspire teammates than breaking a bat over his knee, or taking out his frustration on another player or ump.

How come nobody ever brings up the fact that every young baseball player in this state looks up to Joe and his lack of antics and off the field issues is a great example for them?

Senior Member MVP
    I don't agree with the general premise, that I think being espoused, that the team does NOT need some kind of emotional leader. Every team needs that, sports or business. Someone needs to set the tone and lead. I don't know that we know if players get more out of watching Mauer prepare than they would if he was a more vocal leader. We just don't know that.
    Lighten up Francis....

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    I don't know that we know if players get more out of watching Mauer prepare than they would if he was a more vocal leader. We just don't know that.
    I think that's kind of the point. Why make an argument that you wish a guy was different without having any sort of evidence that it would actually improve the situation?

When faced with a complete lack of evidence that what he does is right or wrong, I believe the right decision is to just let a guy be himself.

Senior Member MVP
    I think that was the point of my first post, Brock.
    Lighten up Francis....

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Fair enough.

I simply do not understand the "Mauer needs more fire" argument. These are professional athletes playing at the highest level of the sport. If they didn't know how to bring their own personal fire, they never would have made it here in the first place.

These guys are better at their job than anyone on this forum. They are competing at the highest level. We'd all have to be CEOs of our respective companies to be considered their peer group.

So my opinion is "let them be themselves". MLB players are not a middle school basketball team.

Senior Member Double-A
    Blog Entries
    Fair enough.

These guys are better at their job than anyone on this forum.
    I started to write a joke about you not knowing what I do for a living, and thus you can't possibly evaluate this position...and then I remembered I'm at work right now writing forum comments, and that's when I became my own joke.

13. These 7 users like LimestoneBaggy's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

70charger (05-30-2014), gunnarthor (05-30-2014), Longdistancetwins (05-30-2014), longstrangetrip (05-30-2014), mike wants wins (05-30-2014), notoriousgod71 (05-31-2014), WLFINN (06-02-2014)

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    I started to write a joke about you not knowing what I do for a living, and thus you can't possibly evaluate this position...and then I remembered I'm at work right now writing forum comments, and that's when I became my own joke.
    And thus, the trap is set.

Liked 1,295 Times in 749 Posts
    He has an .815 OPS with men on base this year. A .751 OPS with RISP.

His OPS for the year is .704.

Statistical white noise that doesn't mean anything. Joe's problem is his overall line, not how he's hitting with men on base or RISP.

Actually, in comparing 2014 to his career stats, his hitting with RISP is off significantly this year.

I'm a little confused about how bref shows it but here are a couple of lines:

2014 BA/OBP/SLG/OPS
    RISP 32 games .189/.373/.378/.751
    ..... 46 games .279/.310/.315/.626 (this is the line I don't get - what is ....)

Career 877 gms .329/.452/.477/.928
    ,.... 1155 gms .311/.374/.460/.834

Anyway you look at it, it's a pretty significant dropoff.

It is human nature to remember the failures -- especially the failures in the late innings.

There is a lot of cause for concern about Mauer -- just not much any of us can do about it.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    Actually, in comparing 2014 to his career stats, his hitting with RISP is off significantly this year.
    Absolutely. My point is that his RISP and MoB lines are better than his overall 2014 stat line, which tells me one thing:

Joe's problem is his 2014 stat line. It's that simple. RISP and MoB numbers normalize over time to match what the player does overall.

17. This user likes Brock Beauchamp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (05-30-2014)

Joe's problem is his 2014 stat line. It's that simple. RISP and MoB numbers normalize over time to match what the player does overall.

Its not that simple. I did not type OBA w/ RISP. OBA with RISP is great and all, but walks don't drive in runs unless the bases are jacked.

This season he has struck out or walked in 24 of his 49 plate appearances with RISP. Last season he struck out or walked in 45 of 110.

In 2012 he struck or or walked in 62 of 170 PAs w/RISP

So since April 2013, in damn near HALF of his Plate appearances, mauer didn't even put the ball in play.

(Props to anyone who can find a way to see how many double plays he hit into with RISP since the start of last season. )

Back to my original post. I typed "when the game is on the line."

guess how many game winning RBI has this season? I know MLB doesn't recognize that stat anymore, but just take a guess.......

Zero....(318 MLBers have more than him)

Guess how many he had last season?
    2...... (304 had more than he did)

In 2012?
    11.....(43 had more than he did)

In summary and in my opinion, Mauer has not been clutch for the better part of a season. Teams have adapted to his approach to hitting in order to minimize the amount of damage he can do. They know how to pitch to him so he doesn't put the ball in play in nearly half of his PAs w/ RISP because he either walks (which buoys his OBA w/ RISP) or strikes out. Honestly, basically averaging 1 for 3 w/ a walk per game is great for his BA & OBA stats, but when that "1" occurs will determine whether he is clutch or not.

I bet if #7 was at his 2012 numbers, many would be questioning his "emotion" or even his approach to hitting.

if it's possible, I would really like to see a breakdown of Mauer's batting average, OBA and runs driven in by inning.....

(for the record....this response got typed up before I read Parker's article on Mauer's struggles, which I found to be a great read, but needed to put some of the onus for change in approach on #7 himself)
    Last edited by Westgaard66; 05-30-2014 at 11:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    Not so far this year.

He wasn't great with RISP last season either.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 280 Times in 152 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tobi0040 View Post
    I agree. I am guessing nobody on our team prepares and watches tape on the opposing pitchers like Mauer. Watching that preparation on a daily basis does more to inspire teammates than breaking a bat over his knee, or taking out his frustration on another player or ump.

How come nobody ever brings up the fact that every young baseball player in this state looks up to Joe and his lack of antics and off the field issues is a great example for them?
    If Joe watches more tape than anyone else, wouldn't he notice that 88% of the time he's taking the first pitch...and often it's the fattest pitch of the at bat? And wouldn't he then adjust to that? Don't players watch tape in order to find ways to improve?

Whoops, I think I may be in the wrong thread...

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 287 Times in 145 Posts
    Westgaaard: If I remember correctly, "Game Winning RBI" just means "who drove in the run that ended up being the last run necessary to win the game," right? So if you win 9-0, whoever got the first RBI gets the game winning RBI. Or if the other team came back to lose 8-9, whoever drove in that 9th run gets the Game Winning RBI. Pretty terrible way to judge how someone performs with the "game on the line," in my opinion.

Now, in true Internet fashion, I'm going to leave without offering a better way to judge someone in the clutch. Although I'll say I don't believe there is such a thing as a "clutch" baseball player.

Yes that is what the stat represented, but I am willing to bet it was a very small %.

I wish I knew how to dig into stats more. I would like to see his BA the last two seasons w/ RISP in innings 6-9

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast