Thread: Trevor May

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Twitter
    @LoganTibbits
    Liked 203 Times in 123 Posts
    Blog Entries

Trevor May

Rochester Red Wings @RocRedWings · 43m

May's line: 7.0 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 4 SO, 100/64...Now at 26 straight innings w/o allowing an ER over his last 4 starts....

Rochester Red Wings @RocRedWings · 39m

More on May: His BAA now down to an IL-best .196 (39-199). He's allowed 5 or fewer hits in 9 of 10 GS.

I couldn't be a player because of bad eyesight, so I decided to be an umpire instead.

Twitter
    @LoganTibbits
    Blog Entries
    Stats on the year:

55 IP, 54 Ks, 22 BB, 2.62 ERA, 1.11 WHIP
    Last edited by Tibs; 06-01-2014 at 08:39 AM.
    I couldn't be a player because of bad eyesight, so I decided to be an umpire instead.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 39 Times in 27 Posts
    Blog Entries
    He may beat Meyer to the bigs at this rate

Senior Member Triple-A DocBauer's Avatar
    Liked 174 Times in 99 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TKGuy View Post
    He may beat Meyer to the bigs at this rate
    I agree.

He was one of my "must watch" picks for this season. This doesn't downgrade the potential of Meyer in any way shape or form, but May simply might be ready sooner. After all, he's not only almost equally talented, but pitched more innings last season.

I still don't think we should sleep on Darnell, despite his last start. He's been very good this season.

Perhaps I'm a bit conservative, but I'm not sure I'm ready to trigger one of these kids just yet. Only because I want them to be as fully prepared and ready as they can be. I'd prefer a promotion, if possible, that is permanent.

Correia pitched well today, but is still clearly the weak link in the rotation. I find myself wondering about a Johnson promotion, even if a temporary band-aid.

Am I a bad person to wish a trade or simple injury to make this happen?

Liked 401 Times in 264 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Very encouraging. Before the season started, did anyone look at the move to add May to the 40 as more of readiness than necessity? I sure thought it was necessity.

i am excited to watch May pitch in a Twins Uni this season. I hope it is soon, but fear it will wait for injury.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 823 Times in 517 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sconnie View Post
    Very encouraging. Before the season started, did anyone look at the move to add May to the 40 as more of readiness than necessity? I sure thought it was necessity.

i am excited to watch May pitch in a Twins Uni this season. I hope it is soon, but fear it will wait for injury.
    I'm sure it was a necessity. That's how the 40 man often works. Teams aren't going to risk losing a good prospect to the Rule V draft, and May certainly fit that mold (as did Kepler and Polanco, neither of whom are 'ready' by any means).

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 823 Times in 517 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Look a bit deeper at his numbers, I think we need to tip our hats to the Twins scouting department here. We are still in SSS territory, so who knows, but May was considered to be a potential ace prospect when he was drafted and kind of fell out of favor. It looks like the Twins saw something they could fix. His K rate is down a bit this season (but still quite impressive) and his walk rate is also down (which needed to drop, and in my opinion still needs to go down a bit more). His big success has been reducing his K/9 by 2.5 hits and his HR/9 by a .5. His numbers right now say he's figuring things out and he looks more like a 1/2 type starter than a reliever.

The real problem as I see it is that the Twins have 3 very good young pitchers in AAA deserving of spots and 2 older guys (Pino and Johnson) who've pitched quite well also. I'm not terribly worried about Johnson and Pino, but the Twins are going to need to find a home for Meyer, May and Darnel, and only KC is vacating the rotation next season. Pelfrey is (as of now) untradeable. Hughes isn't going anywhere and no one is taking Nolasco's contract. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Twins tried to move one of these guys to fill a vacancy somewhere else.

8. This user likes diehardtwinsfan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jimv2 (06-01-2014)

Twitter
    @LoganTibbits
    Blog Entries
    Kind of following the same theme for May last year, 7 of his 10 starts have been good to great, while the other 3 weren't very good at all. His 3 bad starts account for 13 of the 16 earned runs he has given up over 11 innings.

That also means that in his other 44 innings he has only given up 3 earned runs.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 43 Times in 27 Posts
    Didnt Keith Law or somebody say May looked terrible this during spring training? He was really down on him.

Liked 61 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    May's walk rate is 3.6 per 9 innings and he was consistent with this in both April (7 BB in 18.33 innings and May 15 bb in 36.67 innings). While that's better than ever for him, Twins usually prefer the walk rate below 3. That's what Rick is for so I say bring him up when we have the opportunity.

I hope Corriea has a few more good starts so he could become trade bait. I'm sure there are contenders who would like extra back of the rotation depth at a minimal cost.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have a hard time decided who I am most excited about between Meyer, May, Johnson, Darnel, or Gilmartin. And just for good measure one could throw in Pino as well. I guess I would give Meyer the slight edge and make Pino the trailer but the others are too close to separate

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 464 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sconnie View Post

I am not usually one to gloat, but he was my pick for breakout pitcher this year. I looked at last year's numbers as a big step forward. Even though they looked very similar to the previous year's at first glance. A deeper analysis showed a lot of improvement. Still, he has exceeded my expectations quite a bit.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 110 Times in 70 Posts
    Just watched the replay of May's game. He looked pretty good. Got out of two jams with runners on the corner with 1 out. His curve looked pretty damn good. Now I am no scout and do not want to sound like I kno what I am talking about, but May looked like a mid rotation guy. Announcer said mid 90s at times. The change is a major league pitch. The fb has some sink to it. He holds runners well and is extremely quick to the plate.

Seemed to me like he does the lttle things right. Now he still has things to work on in AAA like keeping the ball down. He still misses his spots with the fb too much, but he looks the part. He is going to be in the rotation at target field for years to come. Oh and he looks much slimmer than when I saw him last year.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 88 Times in 31 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pierre75275 View Post
    I have a hard time decided who I am most excited about between Meyer, May, Johnson, Darnel, or Gilmartin. And just for good measure one could throw in Pino as well. I guess I would give Meyer the slight edge and make Pino the trailer but the others are too close to separate
    Meyer
    May

Darnell
    Gilmartin

Johnson

16. These 2 users like Jaykay's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

chuchadoro (06-01-2014), jimv2 (06-01-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 864 Times in 555 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaykay View Post
    Meyer
    May

Darnell
    Gilmartin

Johnson
    Nice separation.