Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The sarcastic Santana injury tweets

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glunn View Post
    Reusse should have no credibility in the future.
    Like he ever did in the past
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Liked 507 Times in 198 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Snake Pliskin made it through this situation. So can Danny Santana.

3. These 2 users like Bark's Lounge's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

chuchadoro (06-02-2014), glunn (06-01-2014)

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 464 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsfanstreif View Post
    A few years ago I think it cost punto and Cuddyer some time, does any one else remember that?
    i remember Punto dislocated his shoulder sliding into first base on a routine grounder. Or maye it was the back end of a DP. Serves him right.

The absolute worst was Kent Hrbek, who legged out a triple in spring training and dislocated his shoulder sliding head first into third base the day after we traded his backup. He never hit more than 20 homers in a season afterwards.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 149 Times in 78 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    Well, to each his own...my first reaction to this was to chuckle.

​I mean c'mon..."Dr Andrews to perform eyelid replacement surgery"?
    This. Even for those sensitive about eye injuries, the 'Dr. Andrews' part clearly marks it as a joke. Lighten up, Francis.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by howeda7 View Post
    Lighten up, Francis.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    i remember Punto dislocated his shoulder sliding into first base on a routine grounder. Or maye it was the back end of a DP. Serves him right.

The absolute worst was Kent Hrbek, who legged out a triple in spring training and dislocated his shoulder sliding head first into third base the day after we traded his backup. He never hit more than 20 homers in a season afterwards.
    I thought it was Punto's thumb, maybe that was Cuddyer. I also forgot about Morneau. Is that how Koskie had his career ended?

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 668 Times in 377 Posts
    No, Koskie was trying to catch a foul ball pop-up down the line and crashed hard.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 221 Times in 96 Posts

AKA the Curse of Sorrento.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 464 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsfanstreif View Post
    I thought it was Punto's thumb, maybe that was Cuddyer. I also forgot about Morneau. Is that how Koskie had his career ended?
    Cuddy hurt his thumb sliding head first into second. Punto had three injuries related to sliding head first into bags. I just remember the worst one, which was a totally unnecessary head-first slide into first. He was out by 5 feet one way or the other.

Incidentally, the Yankees announcers gave Gardiner a hard time for sliding head first into first in the eighth inning today. Said it slowed him down. I remember the Gardy "mandate' that Punto not slide into first, which was initiated when Punto hurt his shoulder. Punto just couldn't help himself. He did it at least 20 times after the mandate.

Thing is, the Yankees announcers are right. If sliding head first was faster, you would see sprinters doing it all the time in track and field. The only time it makes sense is if you need to slow down and avoid a tag, which is fairly often at every other bag besides first.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 540 Times in 350 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Cuddy hurt his thumb sliding head first into second. Punto had three injuries related to sliding head first into bags. I just remember the worst one, which was a totally unnecessary head-first slide into first. He was out by 5 feet one way or the other.

Incidentally, the Yankees announcers gave Gardiner a hard time for sliding head first into first in the eighth inning today. Said it slowed him down. I remember the Gardy "mandate' that Punto not slide into first, which was initiated when Punto hurt his shoulder. Punto just couldn't help himself. He did it at least 20 times after the mandate.

Thing is, the Yankees announcers are right. If sliding head first was faster, you would see sprinters doing it all the time in track and field. The only time it makes sense is if you need to slow down and avoid a tag, which is fairly often at every other bag besides first.
    Sliding headfirst into first base is unnecessary and wrong. There is a case for that slide into second and third.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Not if it increases injuries

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 859 Times in 553 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by howeda7 View Post
    This. Even for those sensitive about eye injuries, the 'Dr. Andrews' part clearly marks it as a joke. Lighten up, Francis.

Yeah, and clearly a distasteful and not funny joke. And the Dr Andrews part was the piling on part after Patrick's first post about a 60-day DL announcement.

14. This user likes jokin's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (06-01-2014)

Liked 3,170 Times in 1,357 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Not if it increases injuries
    Honest question...would you forbid diving for catches as well as head first slides? Doing so probably increases injuries.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

16. This user likes USAFChief's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (06-01-2014)

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't have an issue with head first slides (except at first base, and usually at home plate), but let's get these guys the correctly sized helmet. The helmet shouldn't fly off while a player is running the bases.

18. These 2 users like mnfireman's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (06-01-2014), USAFChief (06-01-2014)

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    No, since there is a safe alternative to sliding head first, that is kuat as effective......

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 668 Times in 377 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    They shouldn't be using the repertorial tools and then blurring the line between clown posting and reporting (especially with the Twins beat writer in on the gimmick).
    I'm "aghast" at how lightly you throw around the term "clown" given how traumatizing it can be for so many.

Seriously, I'm not sure there is anything worse in discourse than trying to dictate to people what they can and can't joke about because of some personal issue/experience you have. You're welcome to think it's a bad joke for your own reasons, but trying to control what he jokes about? This kind of moral scolding for satire is so oppressively PC.
    Last edited by TheLeviathan; 06-01-2014 at 10:08 PM.

Come on people. Outrage over a harmless Reusse tweet is nit picking. Why are people so easily outraged? Most would agree the Twins are a soft organization. I could care less if Reusse pokes fun at them from time to time.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    I'm "aghast" at how lightly you throw around the term "clown" given how traumatizing it can be for so many.

Seriously, I'm not sure there is anything worse in discourse than trying to dictate to people what they can and can't joke about because of some personal issue/experience you have. You're welcome to think it's a bad joke for your own reasons, but trying to control what he jokes about? This kind of moral scolding for satire is so oppressively PC.
    For the record, I'm not outraged or trying to dictate what people post, and this isn't a moral issue to me., I'm totally in favor of free speech and opposed to PC oppression. It's just that when you are a professional journalist it seems you have a duty, like someone in any profession, to maintain a semblance of journalistic standards. I would have been fine if Patrick had posted something like:

"Santana on the bench again today with eyelid injury? Given the Twins SOP, probably on his way to the 60-day DL." His message of criticism to the organization (or to Santana's lack of fortitude, it's still not precisely clear who he was criticizing here, although I tend to think it was directed at "The Twins Soft Culture") through the use of sarcasm would have been sent, only it would have been communicated far more effectively, which presumably is the intent of every journalist.
    Last edited by jokin; 06-01-2014 at 10:42 PM.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marta Shearing View Post
    Come on people. Outrage over a harmless Reusse tweet is nit picking. Why are people so easily outraged? Most would agree the Twins are a soft organization. I could care less if Reusse pokes fun at them from time to time.
    I'm all in favor of journalists poking fun at the organization, they deserve much of the criticism they have received, I've certainly participated in my share. I hope Reusse pokes fun at them every time they deserve it. But Patrick was rhetorically questioning why a guy was still sitting for a second day with a 7-stitch laceration on his swollen eyelid (and with that, it still was not made public if there was any potential underlying damage to the eye, the supporting muscles to the lid and eye itself and the tear ducts), the very body parts that make up a hitters' most important asset....the choice of words seems a little over the top, wouldn't you agree?

24. These 2 users like jokin's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

gil4 (06-02-2014), Hosken Bombo Disco (06-01-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 489 Times in 285 Posts
    who is the joke on, again? I'd at least like to get a chuckle out of this.

26. This user likes Hosken Bombo Disco's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (06-01-2014)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast