Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Article: Twins Minor League Report (6/1): Prospect (Near) Perfecto

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 369 Times in 195 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Twins Minor League Report (6/1): Prospect (Near) Perfecto

Whoa J.O!! This newly minted twenty-something is killing it. I seem to remember that only a start or two ago whoever wrote the report stated that it was arguably his best start at that time. It looks like he's outdone himself. This kid should be proud of himself.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    So....does JO stay at FT Myers all year no matter what or does this kid get moved to AA? Same question for Stewart..any question that he plays at Ft Myers this yr?

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pierre75275 View Post
    So....does JO stay at FT Myers all year no matter what or does this kid get moved to AA? Same question for Stewart..any question that he plays at Ft Myers this yr?
    My assumption was that both would stay at their level all year. After JO's May, and now first start in June, I'm starting to think he could be a promotion candidate. I still expect Stewart to stick in CR.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 844 Times in 540 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    My assumption was that both would stay at their level all year. After JO's May, and now first start in June, I'm starting to think he could be a promotion candidate. I still expect Stewart to stick in CR.
    That sounds like the wisest course of action, for both players.

Seth, I am wondering if Mitch Garver's status has changed among the Twins braintrust? Is he getting closer to having the chops behind home plate? He's 1.5 years above average for Low A, and it appears that he's too good for Midwest League pitchers. After a blazing start in April, he went on a 3-week slump to start May, but in his last 14 games, counting today, his slash indicates he is back on fire again, with a very improved K/BB ratio: .340/.450/.491/.941.

For the year, he currently sits at .304/.388/.492/,880

Given his 4-year college player status and his success in Cedar Rapids, is he ready for promotion? And has he moved up the prospect ranks yet to be considered a possible future Twin? As has been reported, he caught or played every game his last 3 years at New Mexico, I would think that durability at the position goes a long way for the purposes of fast-tracking these days.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 75 Times in 56 Posts
    Blog Entries
    FYI. Eddie Rosario is a "she"...at this point. (fixed--ed.)

Some positive things though. Pretty stoked to see Berrios continue to dominate and Kohl to bounce back after a poor start.
    Last edited by Kevin; 06-01-2014 at 09:51 PM.

Liked 75 Times in 56 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quick Question...the Super 2 is that 'date' based on last year's rookies or this year's?

I know it's based on an aggregate of some sorts. With Oscar Taveras up as well as Garin Cecchini (Bos) and other rookies...does that 'move up the date' to earlier than the usual mid-to-late June date?

I ask, as in application to the possible promotion of May an/or Meyer.

OK - will the nay-sayers get off Jose's back? He's hard working and obviously talented.

10. This user likes Madre Dos's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Tibs (06-01-2014)

Great stuff. What's the status of Lewis Thorpe and Stephen Gonsalves?

Berrios

Quote Originally Posted by Madre Dos View Post
    OK - will the nay-sayers get off Jose's back? He's hard working and obviously talented.
    Earlier this week, some commentor on the Strib site listed him as one of the "Twins draft picks that were busts." Wow.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 800 Times in 503 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by drschmidt11 View Post
    Great stuff. What's the status of Lewis Thorpe and Stephen Gonsalves?
    extended spring training.

Liked 57 Times in 46 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Does anyone know what happened to Zach Jones? I see he has been on the DL all season. He was the reliever with the 100MPH fast ball.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    Does anyone know what happened to Zach Jones? I see he has been on the DL all season. He was the reliever with the 100MPH fast ball.
    In the offseason, he had an aneurysm found in his right shoulder, so he had surgery. Later, they found a blood clot in his leg which delayed him further. He is now in Ft. Myers, slowly working back. He'll be fine, but he probably won't pitch too much this year.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    That sounds like the wisest course of action, for both players.

Seth, I am wondering if Mitch Garver's status has changed among the Twins braintrust? Is he getting closer to having the chops behind home plate? He's 1.5 years above average for Low A, and it appears that he's too good for Midwest League pitchers. After a blazing start in April, he went on a 3-week slump to start May, but in his last 14 games, counting today, his slash indicates he is back on fire again, with a very improved K/BB ratio: .340/.450/.491/.941.

For the year, he currently sits at .304/.388/.492/,880

Given his 4-year college player status and his success in Cedar Rapids, is he ready for promotion? And has he moved up the prospect ranks yet to be considered a possible future Twin? As has been reported, he caught or played every game his last 3 years at New Mexico, I would think that durability at the position goes a long way for the purposes of fast-tracking these days.
    Obviously, we know that the numbers mean less the further a player is from the big leagues. Obviously a guy that's older than the league average should, in theory, be able to perform. That said, I always say that a player can't control what level the organization puts him at. All he can control is how he handles it, and to some degree, how he can perform. Could he move up to Ft. Myers? Sure, however, note that a higher draft pick, Stuart Turner, is struggling with the Miracle.

Turner's ceiling is OK starter, solid backup. Mitch Garver's ceiling is probably a backup catcher/utility infielder, so his speed to the big leagues isn't as important.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
    Like to point out every once in a while that Dozier was an 8th round choice and the #30 Twins prospect in 2010. Just to show that while a lot of attention is on the high prospects and we have a lot of them, they don't always pan out. On the other hand there are those lower rated prospects that do pan out. Its why I don't mind seeing projections but try to ignore ceiling comments especially for position players.

Quote Originally Posted by gbg View Post
    Earlier this week, some commentor on the Strib site listed him as one of the "Twins draft picks that were busts." Wow.
    I guess he was wrong and BTW - Valentina his daughter is absolutely beautiful!