Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 372 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Twins Minor League Hitter of the Month - May

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Matt Tomshaw is one of my Adopt a Prospects. I've been a fan for a few years and have always believed in his approach to pitching. Crafty - Smart - 4 Very Good Pitches to keep hitters off balanced - Marksman (Control) - Lefty - Never Rattled!!!

He needs and deserves a move up after he All Star Game. Great Pick Seth - Seems I didn't need to campaign after all. Well Deserved

You have to feel good about the future of Twins pitching. Alex Meyer isn't even on this list. Hughes and Gibson seem set for the next 5 or 6 years in the rotation. May and Meyer should be there to stay soon. Berrios is only a year away at this rate.... if he finishes at Double AA this year. Johnson /Gilmartin/Diamond are great backups/spot starters, Stewart is a year behind Berrios... Dare we say the pitching rich Minnesota Twins???

Liked 58 Times in 47 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Kris Johnson and Trevor May have the same walking disease. May is doing better than years past but if they can get their walk rate below 3.00 I can see either of them in the starting rotation in Minnesota.

Quote Originally Posted by wagwan View Post
    You have to feel good about the future of Twins pitching. Alex Meyer isn't even on this list. Hughes and Gibson seem set for the next 5 or 6 years in the rotation. May and Meyer should be there to stay soon. Berrios is only a year away at this rate.... if he finishes at Double AA this year. Johnson /Gilmartin/Diamond are great backups/spot starters, Stewart is a year behind Berrios... Dare we say the pitching rich Minnesota Twins???
    Generally agree with your post. However Gilmartin is a soft tossing over achieving starter. Diamond is toast. Given how bad his numbers are in AAA this season, i'd be surprised if he ever sniffs the majors again as a starter, at least with the Twins anyways.

Future does look bright though. Hughes has been fantastic after a couple of shaky starts early on and Deduno has been good for the most part as well. I wouldn't be surprised if we see May in the fall and Meyer by mid season next year. There will be one slot opening up with Correia's departure at season's end.

If Nolasco hadn't pitched so poorly to start the season he might have been a prime trade candidate to a pitching starved team with a surplus of outfielders and infielders.
    Last edited by laloesch; 06-02-2014 at 01:04 PM.

Twitter
    @LoganTibbits
    Liked 203 Times in 123 Posts
    Blog Entries
    These pitching numbers are very encouraging. I'm going to have to see if I can find some video of "The Thing."

Senior Member Triple-A Paul Pleiss's Avatar
    Twitter
    @baseballpirate
    Liked 97 Times in 66 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by laloesch View Post
    If Nolasco hadn't pitched so poorly to start the season he might have been a prime trade candidate to a pitching starved team with a surplus of outfielders and infielders.
    Nolasco would neve have been a trade chip this season. The Twins signed him to be part of this team for the next four years. The Twins are not the Miami Marlins, they don't sign players to move them. Nolasco will be given plenty of time to turn things around. I don't think he could become a realistic trade chip until 2016 or 2017. He's here, get used to seeing him every 5 days.

The Twins are pressed to find room for the guys down in AAA, and those spots will come. People will get hurt, double-headers will need pitchers. Patience. If the guys in AAA continue to pitch this well the Twins will be looking to find ways to get them on the squad. Matty Guerrier and "Just Bombs" Jared Burton may may be looking for somewhere else to pitch.