Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Article: No Room in the Rotation for Trevor May

Liked 1,681 Times in 840 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    All well and good. But haven't we been assured that the starting staff is "better than their numbers indicate"?
    Kevin Correia has been better than his ERA in almost exactly the same way that my oral surgery last week was less painful and time-consuming than I had expected...

2. These 2 users like LaBombo's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (06-03-2014), mike wants wins (06-03-2014)

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,598 Times in 831 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    All well and good. But haven't we been assured that the starting staff is "better than their numbers indicate"?
    Well, the pitching staff had a decent 3.97 ERA in May, good for 9th in the AL and 20th in MLB.

Remove Correia's 4.76 ERA in May and replace it with a league average guy and you have a downright respectable rotation. It's not going to be flashy but it will get the job done over the course of a season.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 859 Times in 553 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Well, the pitching staff had a decent 3.97 ERA in May, good for 9th in the AL and 20th in MLB.

Remove Correia's 4.76 ERA in May and replace it with a league average guy and you have a downright respectable rotation. It's not going to be flashy but it will get the job done over the course of a season.
    Yup. I was being flippant due to the situation with Correia. The staff overall actually did a good job in turning the corner in May, and is now producing at a level just about what we can reasonably expect. It still is a head-scratcher though, for how long they hang on with clearly, screamingly obvious non-performers, especially in the rotation.....what other club would have "kept their powder" this dry, for this long?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Joe A. Preusser's Avatar
    Liked 165 Times in 95 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew0211 View Post
    Anyone else have a problem with human beings being called "garbage" and "turds," no matter how inadequate they are as major league baseball players?
    I couldn't agree more.

Liked 3,170 Times in 1,357 Posts
    No room in the rotation for May. Huh.

I have the same problem with my wallet. No room for hundred dollar bills, it's filled with one's.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

7. These 5 users like USAFChief's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

GCTF (06-03-2014), mike wants wins (06-03-2014), Mr. Brooks (06-07-2014), snepp (06-03-2014), twinsnorth49 (06-04-2014)

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post

I have the same problem with my wallet. No room for hundred dollar bills, it's filled with one's.
    Winner!
    Lighten up Francis....

Liked 1,681 Times in 840 Posts
    Blog Entries

Nice, but totally an exaggeration, by a factor of two, or maybe even three.

10. This user likes LaBombo's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

USAFChief (06-03-2014)

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 464 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries

I seem to recall several discussions in the offseason in which you questioned whether crappy veterans blocked good prospects. This seems like a legit case. It is more the norm than the exception in this organization.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Senior Member Triple-A Paul Pleiss's Avatar
    Twitter
    @baseballpirate
    Liked 97 Times in 66 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Teams who wait for the constantly changing super-2 deadline to pass are doing a disservice to their players and their MLB teams. An extra year of arbitration over promoting a guy who is ready to contribute to the MLB club? Hogwash! Keeping a guy down early in the season to get an extra year of service from him is smart baseball, wating for the ambiguous super-2 deadline (which can only be found retroactively), is silly.

I hope the Twins find room for May and Meyer before the break if they continue to pitch well through June. Pino could come up and take a spot in the pen from Jared Burton right now.

The Twins need to make room for these guys, especially guys who look to be part of the ballclub in Minnesota for the long haul.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 173 Times in 107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It will likely take an investment of innings for May to adjust to the major leagues. Though I am not confident that he will be more effective than Correia in 2014, I would prefer they begin making that investment soon. The same can be said for Meyer.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
    The guy gave up nine hits and a walk in six innings. Only struck out three. He got through the first two innings on sheer luck. It was not a good start. It was a lucky start.
    I believe I read an article by one of these guys basically saying that Correia was unlucky thus far in the season. You would never credit my saying he gave up 6 runs but had bad defense behind him and the hits were all seeing eye grounders. Apparently bad luck is proof that he is bad and good luck is proof that he is bad. Getting out of jams and inducing ground ball double plays should not be considered proof that he was horrible. Again, 1 run in 6 innings at Yankee stadium. If it was lucky then that will run its course over the next couple starts. I was against his two year contract to start with, don't think he is all that great but he had a pretty good year last year and is trending in the right direction. Keep trending in the right direction and he should be gone soon through trade. Trend the other way for a couple games and he should be gone through demotion.. I love the idea of replacing him with a musical chairs sequence of prospects but if they actually did it and guys failed there would be an avalanche of criticism for doing so. I want to see May, I won't cry to never see Corriea again but I have patience and the knowledge that it is a long season and two weeks might provide a completely different view. I did like the 100's in the wallet comment. Chief gets a point.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantes929 View Post
    I believe I read an article by one of these guys basically saying that Correia was unlucky thus far in the season. You would never credit my saying he gave up 6 runs but had bad defense behind him and the hits were all seeing eye grounders. Apparently bad luck is proof that he is bad and good luck is proof that he is bad. Getting out of jams and inducing ground ball double plays should not be considered proof that he was horrible. Again, 1 run in 6 innings at Yankee stadium. If it was lucky then that will run its course over the next couple starts. I was against his two year contract to start with, don't think he is all that great but he had a pretty good year last year and is trending in the right direction. Keep trending in the right direction and he should be gone soon through trade. Trend the other way for a couple games and he should be gone through demotion.. I love the idea of replacing him with a musical chairs sequence of prospects but if they actually did it and guys failed there would be an avalanche of criticism for doing so. I want to see May, I won't cry to never see Corriea again but I have patience and the knowledge that it is a long season and two weeks might provide a completely different view. I did like the 100's in the wallet comment. Chief gets a point.
    For Francisco Liriano, the Twins received Escobar and Pedro Hernandez. By contrast, the Twins would be extremely fortunate to receive one C prospect for Correia- I will be shocked if the Twins get anything of value for KC. (And I promise, maybe in the Strib you'll get some avalanchers, but not one knowledgeable Twins fan will be involved in criticism should a musical chair approach fall short of expectations. This is something the Twins HAVE to do.)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 61 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Due to smart roster management I think Corriea should stay until at least the all star break. I was extremely against the 2nd season on his contract but Gibson could still implode or get hurt. Deduno could get hurt too. If we replace Corriea and that happens we will have all of the depth up from AAA that we have. There will be no where to go should one or 2 of these guys not be ready yet. This would also cripple the AAA Rochester season as right now they are highly competitive and would want to continue that as they haven't been too competitive for a while. After the allstar break we will have more certainty on Gibson and with fewer starts left there will be less time for injuries to cause major problems as by the time a replacement failed we would be near the end of the season. Right now there is too much season left. I am fine waiting till mid to late July before we start promoting up after trading Corriea. Plus if Corriea pitches better we could trade him to a contender like Toronto who is in contention and has an offense. but they will want to see better pitching from Corriea too. (Toronto is looking for a pitcher but doesn't want to give up a lot in prospects or pay a lot of money. Corriea is a fit if he improves. He hasn't been mentioned but others like Hammels has.)
    Last edited by Brandon; 06-04-2014 at 12:44 AM.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    Due to smart roster management I think Corriea should stay until at least the all star break. I was extremely against the 2nd season on his contract but Gibson could still implode or get hurt. Deduno could get hurt too. If we replace Corriea and that happens we will have all of the depth up from AAA that we have. There will be no where to go should one or 2 of these guys not be ready yet. This would also cripple the AAA Rochester season as right now they are highly competitive and would want to continue that as they haven't been too competitive for a while. After the allstar break we will have more certainty on Gibson and with fewer starts left there will be less time for injuries to cause major problems as by the time a replacement failed we would be near the end of the season. Right now there is too much season left. I am fine waiting till mid to late July before we start promoting up after trading Corriea. Plus if Corriea pitches better we could trade him to a contender like Toronto who is in contention and has an offense. but they will want to see better pitching from Corriea too.
    Except for the fact that Rochester was in the semifinals of the IL playoffs in 2013:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/mi...gi?id=0032a9b6

The Twins are very unlikely to "cripple" Rochester, barring an unprecedented streak of bad injury luck, the guys that are not ready would be sent back to Rochester, other guys currently on the Twins can be optioned or outrighted to Rochester. Pelfrey is not going anywhere this year, and will have a role if he regains his health. And there are arms in New Britain, such as Sean Gilmartin, Vasquez, Baxendale and Hamburger who can capably fill holes created in Rochester.

Great article except I dont buy the statement that Correia's been unlucky. He's been flat out awful. Actually, one could argue he was very lucky in his last start. No way he should still be on this team aug 1.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    A. Who cares about crippling Rochester?
    B. They have Gilmartin who can come up to AAA, and probably another guy.
    C. No, there would not be criticism for cutting one of the 5 worst SP in the majors, and replacing him with part of the future.
    D. How bad does a player have to be, to be replaced, if not this bad?
    Lighten up Francis....

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    To be fair to Correia, he has been a bit unlucky. 5.87 ERA, 4.60 xFIP.

None of that matters. The Twins have packed not only the MLB rotation but also the AAA rotation. It's time to start shuffling around warm bodies for both the second half of 2014 and all of 2015.

More and more every day, this team looks to be on the cusp of returning to relevance. Continue that process by jettisoning the flotsam of the roster, and that means guys like Jason Kubel and Kevin Correia need to go and need to be replaced by players who are not only younger, but will likely be better.

21. These 2 users like Brock Beauchamp's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

cmathewson (06-04-2014), ericchri (06-04-2014)

Blog Entries
    Jettison list:
    Correia
    Guerrier
    Kubel

Addition list:
    May
    Johnson (Deduno to the pen)
    Vargas?

I think Johnson has outpitched Meyer, is on the 40-man, and it would be nice to have a lefty in there.

Vargas is on the 40-man and raking in New Britain, but I would want him to DH most of the time if he was called up.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Deduno has an ERA+ of 104 right now and is finally stretched out for the rotation.

If you're trying to win this season, why would you remove that guy from the rotation? Get rid of the obvious albatross in Correia, then see if other moves need to be made.

Blog Entries
    Deduno has an ERA+ of 104 right now and is finally stretched out for the rotation.

If you're trying to win this season, why would you remove that guy from the rotation? Get rid of the obvious albatross in Correia, then see if other moves need to be made.
    I agree that the first item on the agenda is replacing Correia with May. I just think Deduno is a ticking time bomb, who could be very effective (and less susceptible to injury) as a swing man and spot starter. They probably won't do anything until they have to. But why not be proactive? Also, have you seen how Johnson is dominating AAA? His numbers in May rival May's.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast