Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Article: No Room in the Rotation for Trevor May

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,581 Times in 822 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    I agree that the first item on the agenda is replacing Correia with May. I just think Deduno is a ticking time bomb, who could be very effective (and less susceptible to injury) as a swing man and spot starter. They probably won't do anything until they have to. But why not be proactive?
    It's only proactive if Deduno implodes. If he continues pitching well out of the rotation, then it's marginalizing a guy's value.

I'm not against making that move in July if it needs to be made but I don't see a reason to do it right now (and it seems you don't really disagree with that).

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 800 Times in 503 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think a good case could be made for bringing Darnell up too. He's been pretty dominant in AAA. I agree that KC should go in the near future, though I'd rather he stay in the rotation till he's traded.

Liked 3,143 Times in 1,344 Posts
    I seem to recall several discussions in the offseason in which you questioned whether crappy veterans blocked good prospects. This seems like a legit case. It is more the norm than the exception in this organization.
    Crappy veterens don't block prospects. GMs and managers block prospects.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

4. This user likes USAFChief's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (06-04-2014)

Liked 2,278 Times in 1,281 Posts
    Blog Entries
    In consideration of depth... The Twins starting rotation is pretty simple to me right now.

Don't mess with your depth... You never know when someone wakes up in the morning with a barking elbow. It happens all the time and it's going to happen to someone... Sooner rather than later.

As for this moment... Right now... One issue needs to be strongly considered and one issue only... May is on fire... At least he seems to be cuz I haven't seen him. If he's racking up an extended scoreless streak in AAA... You gotta find a way to get him into the big league rotation. From what I've seen thus far... Correia is the top candidate to yield a rotation spot for May and I'd suggest bullpen for Correia rather than DFA.

Keep your depth... Rainy Days... It will rain eventually.
    A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 775 Times in 407 Posts
    Yeah, Correia taking Matty G's spot in the pen to open the door for May seems like the right play.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 563 Times in 368 Posts
    If it rains, you have Darnell, Meyer, Pino, Gilmartin, Diamond......I do not understand the fear of losing bad depth.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    Crappy veterens don't block prospects. GMs and managers block prospects.
    Fair enough. The contention was about whether this GM and manager do. This is article Z of evidence that this manager/FO does.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

9. This user likes cmathewson's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

LaBombo (06-06-2014)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    In consideration of depth... The Twins starting rotation is pretty simple to me right now.

Don't mess with your depth... You never know when someone wakes up in the morning with a barking elbow. It happens all the time and it's going to happen to someone... Sooner rather than later.

As for this moment... Right now... One issue needs to be strongly considered and one issue only... May is on fire... At least he seems to be cuz I haven't seen him. If he's racking up an extended scoreless streak in AAA... You gotta find a way to get him into the big league rotation. From what I've seen thus far... Correia is the top candidate to yield a rotation spot for May and I'd suggest bullpen for Correia rather than DFA.

Correia doesn't have the stuff to pitch out of the bullpen, imho.

11. This user likes cmathewson's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

LaBombo (06-06-2014)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    If it rains, you have Darnell, Meyer, Pino, Gilmartin, Diamond......I do not understand the fear of losing bad depth.
    Obviously everyone has different fears but while it's clear that Correia has had a bad stretch. I also think you don't toss him aside because he is capable of an average stretch.

I say you move Correia to the bullpen like the Pirates did two years ago and only because Trevor May it seems is beating down the door in Rochester. With the full understanding that May... May... struggle and not work out at all in the majors for quite a few starts and if that happens... Correia could be turned back to.

I don't consider Deduno, Nolasco, Gibson or Hughes bad depth... I don't call them aces but I don't call them bad depth.

As for Darnell, Meyer, Pinto and Gilmartin. I don't know... I haven't seen them pitch but see Kyle Gibson from last year. Young pitchers come up and struggle quite often.

We are still in contention for the playoffs and I'm not ready to experiment at the expense of depth or the future at this moment. When someone gets hurt and they will... The time will come for either Darnell, Meyer, Pinto or Gilmartin.

The way I see it and I could be wrong. I think the Twins should try to find a spot in the rotation for May and Correia is my current replacement choice. I'd do it carefully by keeping Correia close by.
    Last edited by Riverbrian; 06-04-2014 at 11:07 PM.

Blog Entries
    Correia doesn't have the stuff to pitch out of the bullpen, imho.
    Long Relief is what I'd do.

14. This user likes Riverbrian's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

LaBombo (06-06-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 287 Times in 145 Posts
    RB, I appreciate your comments about young pitchers struggling and Gibson.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    I say you move Deduno to the bullpen like the Pirates did two years ago and only because Trevor May it seems is beating down the door in Rochester. With the full understanding that May... May... struggle and not work out at all in the majors for quite a few starts and if that happens... Correia could be turned back to.
    I don't understand this thinking, honestly. Deduno, when healthy, was better than Correia last year. He's better than Correia this year.

Meritocracy! Reward the guy who has pitched well, discard the guy who hasn't.

edit: Upon re-reading this, it appears you may have typed "Deduno" when you meant "Correia".

Don't mess with depth; agreed. May needs to see if he can give the MLB club some of those scoreless innings; Agreed! What about having a six man rotation until one of these guys proves unworthy?!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TCisNotaBear View Post
    Don't mess with depth; agreed. May needs to see if he can give the MLB club some of those scoreless innings; Agreed! What about having a six man rotation until one of these guys proves unworthy?!
    What does a guy have to do to prove unworthy? He got off to a fast start last year. Since then, it's gone from bad to worse. The last 365 days, he's 6-15 with an OPS against of .806 and a WHIP of 1.5. There are three guys in AAA who would do better right now. Why do we have to keep a guy who is bad at pitching?

19. This user likes cmathewson's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (06-04-2014)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    I don't understand this thinking, honestly. Deduno, when healthy, was better than Correia last year. He's better than Correia this year.

Meritocracy! Reward the guy who has pitched well, discard the guy who hasn't.

edit: Upon re-reading this, it appears you may have typed "Deduno" when you meant "Correia".
    I did and I was horrified when I came back after the game and read it. And it's doubtful that I can blame auto correct.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 563 Times in 368 Posts
    Anyone still feel this way? Really?
    Lighten up Francis....

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,280 Times in 512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Anyone still feel this way? Really?
    Correia didn't walk anybody.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

23. These 2 users like snepp's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

GCTF (06-06-2014), Hosken Bombo Disco (06-05-2014)

Liked 89 Times in 35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    Crappy veterens don't block prospects. Bad GMs and managers block prospects.
    Emphasis added.

"Mediocre breaking balls are a gift from God." - Kirby Puckett

25. This user likes kydoty's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

GCTF (06-06-2014)

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    The Twins can't keep Correia in the rotation after that performance, can they? He single-handedly lost a game they were winning by four runs.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Correa might have one more chance...i doubt they would just release him at this point

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast