Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lewis Thorpe to Cedar Rapids

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Romero, Thorpe, and Stewart are going to be legitimate major league pitchers, with Romero being a reliever and Thorpe and Stewart being starters. Calling it now. Eades and Mildren won't get past AA.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Twitter
    @JimCrikket
    Liked 105 Times in 51 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TRex View Post
    Do you think it will be Slegers on (Tuesday) then to complete the 6-man rotation?
    Yes. Slegers pitched last night, so he'd be the 6th man for the homestand opener vs QC on Tuesday.

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for
    MetroSportsReport.comwhile my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    And Slegers is debatable. I can see him getting to the big leagues as a reliever and being very good. But as a starter, I don't think it will last past Fort Myers.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 867 Times in 557 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Thorpe goes to Cedar Rapids, eh?

An aggressive promotion for a team that often catches flak for its slow promotion of prospects. The guy is 18 and is now in low A.
    When the prospect rankings came out, people were wondering if his lofty ranking was all hype. The kid just blew up in the fall and winter in connection to international and Australian baseball, after a ridiculously good GCL stint. After then seeing him on video, I was in the other camp that said he probably should be the highest pitching prospect in the organization not named Meyer or Stewart, eclipsing Berrios. Give the Twins credit for forgoing E-Town (for now, anyway) and giving the kid a shot- I'm willing to advise and extend my negative remarks about the typical propsect-slow-play if the Twins keep pushing this kid.

Any kind of success here, and Thorpe could be on the fast track, possibly even shooting right through High A and AA next year- he'd be slightly less than 3 months shy of his 20th birthday on September 1st, 2015. I think we'd have to go back to Bert Blyleven in 1970 to see the last teenager starter for the Twins? I'm sure the Twins will keep close track of his innings, but a guy can dream.....Hey Pelfrey will be off the books after 2015 and Deduno will be arb eligible in 2016- which will undoubtedly make the Twins strongly consider that it's time to move on, the field should be very clear by opening day, 2016.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,607 Times in 834 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    After then seeing him on video, I was in the other camp that said he probably should be the highest pitching prospect in the organization not named Meyer or Stewart, eclipsing Berrios.
    With every passing day, I'm more convinced the only guy on the list in front of Thorpe should be Meyer.

Stewart is great. I'm not knocking him... But an 18 year old lefty with command that throws in the mid-90s? Yes, please.

After the graduation of Arcia last season, Thorpe almost immediately took the title of "dark horse with massive upside" in my eyes.

6. This user likes Brock Beauchamp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

diehardtwinsfan (06-05-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    With every passing day, I'm more convinced the only guy on the list in front of Thorpe should be Meyer.

Stewart is great. I'm not knocking him... But an 18 year old lefty with command that throws in the mid-90s? Yes, please.

After the graduation of Arcia last season, Thorpe almost immediately took the title of "dark horse with massive upside" in my eyes.
    I'm with you and will be easily swayed when it becomes obvious, for now, I'll lean towards the potential A&M American quarterback until he proves he's being eclipsed by the Aussie-upstart......definitely nice (and convenient!) to see them competing in the same setting. And it will be extra nice when the national services get the memo and begin to confirm what we are seeing and move Thorpe onto some Top 100 lists. Callis and Mayo at MLB.com still apparently don't even have Thorpe in the Twins Top 20 lists.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts
    . Callis and Mayo at MLB.com still apparently don't even have Thorpe in the Twins Top 20 lists.
    They have him at #6.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    They have him at #6.
    Yep. My bad, I googled "Mlb.com Twins Top 20" and they sent me right to the....2013 list....

Senior Member All-Star
    Yep. My bad, I googled "Mlb.com Twins Top 20" and they sent me right to the....2013 list....
    It's part of Comcast's plan to get you a better internet

Senior Member All-Star
    Comment From Ian
    Where would Lewis Thorpe (18 year old Australian in MN system) go in this draft?

4:50
    Chris Crawford:
    Probably not today, but probably not around for very long on Friday.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 568 Times in 372 Posts
    ha, was just going to post that, gunnarthor!
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 137 Times in 83 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TRex View Post
    Wow, that is really bad news regarding Jorge's fastball. He may not have a specific injury, but something must be contributing to his decreased velocity. How was his extension?
    Or he never really had more velocity. He hit 93 once (I missed half of the pitch speeds). Other than that one pitch everything was 87-89. He throws real easy and he is a really lean kid so it's not time to give up on him but he isn't very interesting until you see something from him.

I agree with Shane. Eades isn't a very good prospect. He had a solid fastball (91-93mph) that overpowered the low A hitters but I can't think of one changeup or breaking ball that made a hitter look foolish. Not one in 5-6 innings and these are hitters that aren't prepared for good off speed stuff.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Twitter
    @JimCrikket
    Liked 105 Times in 51 Posts
    Blog Entries
    kab, not sure if you're accounting for it or not, but the MPH on the scoreboard in CR is generally accepted to be about 2 MPH slower than actual. The gun is up at pressbox level and is directed downward, resulting in a reading that's a couple ticks lower than what you get from directly behind home plate. Just something to keep in mind when you watch pitchers in CR.

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for
    MetroSportsReport.comwhile my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 137 Times in 83 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SD Buhr View Post
    kab, not sure if you're accounting for it or not, but the MPH on the scoreboard in CR is generally accepted to be about 2 MPH slower than actual. The gun is up at pressbox level and is directed downward, resulting in a reading that's a couple ticks lower than what you get from directly behind home plate. Just something to keep in mind when you watch pitchers in CR.
    Perhaps but 91-93 sounds about right for Eades. He wasn't throwing that fast I don't think.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12