Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Nice SI article on Morneau

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts

Nice SI article on Morneau

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mlb...ies/?eref=sihp

Man I hope he makes the all-star team this year.

2. This user likes gunnarthor's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

TheLeviathan (06-03-2014)

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,598 Times in 831 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I couldn't be happier for Justin. He deserves a bit of triumph after all those struggles.

Liked 1,295 Times in 749 Posts
    Good article. I, too, hope that he returns to Minnesota for the ASG.

But I also believe that he wouldn't be doing as well had Minnesota re-signed him -- as though the recovery from concussion also needed a new setting away from the struggles of the last few years.

5. These 2 users like JB_Iowa's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

bholmgren (06-04-2014), Hosken Bombo Disco (06-03-2014)

Key takeaway

I thought the quote from this doctor was telling, and could explain Mauer's struggles this year.
    "What's most likely to happen in baseball is a concussion that goes onto post-concussion syndrome," say Dr. Robert Cantu, a sports concussion expert at the Boston University School of Medicine. "The symptoms don't clear up quickly....When you have post-concussion syndrome, when you're still symptomatic and still haven't completely healed, very commonly reaction times are slow [and] your eyes do not track with the same coordination and speed."

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mlb...#ixzz33aYRAM4F

Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    Good article. I, too, hope that he returns to Minnesota for the ASG.

But I also believe that he wouldn't be doing as well had Minnesota re-signed him -- as though the recovery from concussion also needed a new setting away from the struggles of the last few years.

7. This user likes mattkummer's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Halsey Hall (06-04-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 380 Times in 233 Posts
    Will the Rockies be offended if he mistakenly wears a Twins cap at the All-Star game?

9. This user likes nicksaviking's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

gunnarthor (06-03-2014)

Liked 1,295 Times in 749 Posts
    mattkummer, good takeway. I have also wondered about the lingering effects of Mauer's concussion. Hopefully he is still healing and able to make adjustments (maybe last night is some evidence that is coming about).

With both Morneau (hockey) and Mauer (football and catching for a longtime), it is hard to know about undiagnosed concussions in their younger years.

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 489 Times in 285 Posts
    I also worry about the effects of Hicks recent concussion. He took a hard hit.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    I am very happy for Justin. One of my favorite Twins, partly becaus he chose to live here, and was very active in the community. Those that choose to live here are saintly, imo, when they could afford to live wherever they want, and are the true Minnesotans. *

*btw, I'm hoping to move soon, can't take the length of winter anymore.
    Lighten up Francis....

13. This user likes mike wants wins's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ChiTownTwinsFan (06-03-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 341 Times in 167 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    I am very happy for Justin. One of my favorite Twins, partly becaus he chose to live here, and was very active in the community. Those that choose to live here are saintly, imo, when they could afford to live wherever they want, and are the true Minnesotans. *

*btw, I'm hoping to move soon, can't take the length of winter anymore.
    Justin and his family live in Arizona in the winter, at least for the last several years. No one can blame him for that.
    I made the comment opening day I didn't think Joe looked right and got soundly browbeaten by the Mauer loyalists. Will he ever be the same, probably not but maybe he could get close.
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Huh, did not know that. Still one of my favorites.

Senior Member Triple-A D. Hocking's Avatar
    Liked 382 Times in 145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
    I made the comment opening day I didn't think Joe looked right and got soundly browbeaten by the Mauer loyalists. Will he ever be the same, probably not but maybe he could get close.
    I probably fall into the camp of Mauer loyalist (or Mauerians as we are called in the inside circle at our secret monthly meetings at O'Gara's), and I think this is a perfectly valid statement and would not browbeat anyone for theorizing it. He was still experiencing symptons in November for a hit he took in August. Combine that with watching how it effected Justin and to a lesser degree Span (did he ever completley bounce back?), I think it has to at least be considered. It might be that even if he is not experiening overt syptoms, it has effected his reflexes enough to alter his game for being elete to being mediocre. If that is the case, hopefully things will gradually return to normal and better days ahead.

Best case scenario, it is just a regular slump and not related to any brain issues.

Nice article - I wish Justin the best and hope he gets a few years of good playing. He was really robbed of some of his prime baseball years. The part about him still doing a batting practice routine he did with Mauer, but now he stops for someone not there was a little bittersweet.

Twins Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Twitter
    @Sheradoodles
    Liked 1,943 Times in 1,138 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D. Hocking View Post
    The part about him still doing a batting practice routine he did with Mauer, but now he stops for someone not there was a little bittersweet.
    Yeah ... it almost made me a little teary.

Quote Originally Posted by D. Hocking View Post
    The part about him still doing a batting practice routine he did with Mauer, but now he stops for someone not there was a little bittersweet.
    I read that as "he doesn't stop anymore because there's no Mauer" not that "he was still waiving home no one in CO." Doesn't sound like he ever did it in CO.

He takes a few cracks, then advances: first base, second base, third ... home. There's no reason to stop anymore, no tradition to uphold.
    The paragraph before that was just describing what he had done in MN, not what he still does.

Either way, happy to see 33 doing well. Will always be a fan of his and hope he's the starting 1B for the NL at the all star game.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 66 Times in 37 Posts
    Growing up with the big LH Herbie as my favorite player was able to transition quite easily to big LH Morny..so while it was bittersweet to see him leave I am grateful he has had the chance to reclaim some of his former self even if some of it being contributed to playing in Coors. Altho always been, and still am, a big fan of Mauer and believe he is a no doubt HOF'er I am kinda hopin Vargas becomes the next big LH 1B to stronghold the position for years.

20. This user likes WLFINN's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

gil4 (06-04-2014)

Liked 147 Times in 83 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiTownTwinsFan View Post
    Yeah ... it almost made me a little teary.