Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Dazzle Man... Not So Dazzling Tonight

Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Maybe it's just me but I don't mind Provus.

Then again, my expectations for announcers are pretty low. I consider most to be pretty bad at their jobs, excepting the greats like Scully.
    I agree with you on this. Provus does a nice job. I think he describes the action much like Pat Hughes does from the Cubs. That does make sense since Provus did work with the Cubs.

If you think Gladden is bad, try listening to a Braves game and listen to Mark Lemke mumble (which I am currently doing).

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 87 Times in 54 Posts
    I have to admit, I rarely listen on the radio any more. I was driving home from work during the Kubel at-bat and had the exact same reaction as Glanzer. In fact, I had to wait until I saw the box score to figure out what happened because I got home before the end of the inning.

I've never been a big Provus guy, I still wish they had signed Ryan Lefevre. He was more in the mold of Herb. Gladden is not a play-by-play guy, and not much of a color guy either. I'm hoping that when Cuddy retires he takes over for Bert on TV. I know he wants to be in the booth. I think Smalley has done a decent job. TK is interesting on his insight, but his voice will put you to sleep. There have to be other options out there. Let's get them back on WCCO and have Chad Hartman do the play-by-play and find a decent color guy instead of Gladden, like bring back Kitty.

I listen to the radio broadcasts a lot, and I like them both. I know what to expect, and that keeps it from getting on my nerves. Provus is quite good a PBP, and Gladden is Gladden. The big plays will be described enough to know what happened. I don't need to know if the outfield catch was at the knees or over his head. Hell, it's not hard to infer a lot of the things Gladden misses.

Also, I have no idea why people had an issue with Uecker in the booth. He would frequently pause to let Provus throw in a quick PBP update, and the conversations were entertaining. Hell of a lot better than having somebody who barely knows what a microphone is talking about breast cancer awareness or whatever.

I don't know. I don't get the rage. Maybe I'm just not Internetting right today.

Liked 26 Times in 16 Posts
    I heard the plays described in the OP, too. It was pretty awful, but no where near the worst play-by-play call I have heard from Gladden (who I don't mind as a color guy). The worst came (I think) last year when something like this happened...obviously paraphrased:

"And there goes the runner, the throw to second base, and...he's into short left field. He's going to come all the way around to score."

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 87 Times in 54 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tharasix View Post
    I don't need to know if the outfield catch was at the knees or over his head.
    I didn't need to know if the catch was at the knees or over the head, but it would have been nice to know that the catch was made. A simple - "Well, that's one down", could have clarified that.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Provus is great. The problem is the frequency at which he is relieved by Gladden's god awful attempt at PBP.
    Yeah, I hate when they switch. I don't listen to the radio very often because I'm usually watching it on tv but Provus is a nice addition and Gladden is still...Gladden unfortunately.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,306 Times in 1,754 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Different sport, but I always loved Ray Christensen when he did Gophers football on radio. I remember one play from scrimmage deep in their own territory, where there was a handoff to the running back who was making a good gain, and about 10 or 15 yards into the play Ray threw in "no flags, he's at the...". I thought "no flags?" Then I realized, "NO FLAGS!" The runner had broken away and saw nothing but daylight, and Ray got that across so efficiently since so often a play like that gets called back.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 40 Times in 26 Posts
    Worst color guy ever - Ron Santo. Don't know if he could even see at the end and there was frequent dead air like he was confused by what happened.

Ted Robinson filling in a couple years back was absolutely fantastic.

Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
    It was a few years ago on the Dan Patrick Show on ESPN radio, Patrick and Ron Dibble were playing Harry Carey clips. This was absolutely hilarious. The clip that sticks out in my mind is when, during game action, Harry was trying to spell and pronounce a name backwards. It was a Latin American player. Just listening to him was hilarious. During his spelling and attempted pronunciation, you could here the crowd cheer. Finally there was a break in Harry's dialog and the color guy (Steve Stone possibly?) piped in and filled the audience in. He quickly announced that there was a strike out, a walk, and the cheering was a two run homer.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LaBombo View Post
    Once drove nearly 30 miles without Gladden mentioning the score. And no, wasn't doing 200 mph.
    I try very hard to not have to listen to Gladden but that was my #1 pet peeve. You could get into the car & have no idea who was winning for a very long time.

Another was he missed a fair share of pitches. The count could be 1-0 & the next time he mentions anything is "swing & a miss for strike 3."

Gladden likes to tell you what he did last night more than game information. Herb Carneal was the best but Gordon was pretty good also.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12