Thread: Article: Twins Draft Preview: Carlos Rodon

Twins Contributor Big-Leaguer Cody Christie's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Twins Draft Preview: Carlos Rodon

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 50 Times in 34 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sometimes weird things happen on draft day. We can always hope he falls to five. But I'm not holding my breath.

The Twins tied with the Cubs for the fourth-worst record. Too bad that tiebreaker didn't go their way...

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 271 Times in 195 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AM. View Post
    Sometimes weird things happen on draft day. We can always hope he falls to five. But I'm not holding my breath.

The Twins tied with the Cubs for the fourth-worst record. Too bad that tiebreaker didn't go their way...
    It would be nice if he fell. Rodon and Aiken are locks in the top 2-3 picks. After that who knows.

Slight correction to the article, Appel fell to #8 in the 2012 draft.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Well, if he's there, you take him. But it seems more likely I will win the lottery on Saturday....

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Rodon was drafted in the 16th round of the 2011 draft by the Brewers but chose not to sign. He had some back problems in high school and was an upper 80's to low 90's guy with potential on good days and a mid 80's guy with inconsistent mechanics on the bad days. He went from a top five round guy to a 16th round flier due to the inconsistency but by that fall, he was hitting 97 as a member of the Wolfpack.
    http://www.minorleagueball.com/2013/...-lhp-n-c-state

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    Yeah, it really seems impossible for Rodon to slip by the Cubs. They need pitching and, from what I've read, he's #1 on their board. Probably doesn't slip that far either. The best hope for the Twins is that Houston does something stupid and Miami takes Jackson which would leave one of the 3 pitchers to fall to us. But that seems pretty unlikely.

Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm hoping the Twins will take Jackson or Gordon. I think we need another prized hitter. With the top level pitching we have in the minors, we can take pitchers in the 2nd and/or 3rd round.

Senior Member Triple-A DocBauer's Avatar
    Liked 172 Times in 97 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I keep hearing Gordon. I think a lot of that is due to long standing problems at the ML level, though that might be changing now with Escobar's performance and signs of real life, talent and potential in Santana. (Nothing against Escobar, but I'd love to see more of Santana at SS)

No knock on Gordon, or his potential, but if Jackson were available I'd snap him up and I'd keep him at C. I don't see a need to rush him, despite his potential bat, up the chain by moving him position wise. We could afford, in my opinion, to work and develop him at C for now.