Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Don't Look Now but the Transformation has Begun

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 51 Times in 26 Posts

Don't Look Now but the Transformation has Begun

As ardent Twins fans, we've all been frustrated with our home nine over the last three years and have, understandably, been looking forward to the future when the team would field a lineup of younger, more promising players.

Don't look know but its happening. With Plouffe and Dozier establishing themselves as quality MLB players and substantial playing time for Arcia, Pinto, Escobar, Santana, Hicks and Gibson, the Twins core players are now represented by younger, up and coming players.

I am guessing this process will accelerate as we get closer to the trade deadline as I anticipate (hope) that Corriea, Guerrier and Burton will all be dealt and replaced with younger players. I will also include Willingham in that group unless the Twins can hang around. Then I think we should keep him for the rest of the season (no extensions, please).

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I believe you are right....dont forget Kubal. i doubt he will ladt the month

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Linus View Post
    I will also include Willingham in that group unless the Twins can hang around. Then I think we should keep him for the rest of the season (no extensions, please).
    I like a team with some senior leadership. What is wrong with keeping Willingham to provide this if he can keep hitting like he's been since his DL time.

Is the AAA CF/2B Farris ready to come up and play a bit? Is he infield or outfield? Don't we have too many Infielder/Outfielder types?

When are the AAA pitchers going to see the bigs (new M&M boys May and Meyer)?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 87 Times in 54 Posts
    Please add Duensing

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 75 Times in 42 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottyB View Post
    Please add Duensing
    We should package him with some guys to get a young ace pitcher.

6. These 10 users like Badsmerf's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (06-04-2014), ChiTownTwinsFan (06-04-2014), diehardtwinsfan (06-04-2014), Hosken Bombo Disco (06-04-2014), PseudoSABR (06-04-2014), snepp (06-04-2014), SpiritofVodkaDave (06-04-2014), TheDean (06-04-2014), TheLeviathan (06-04-2014), Trautmann13 (06-05-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Quote Originally Posted by pierre75275 View Post
    I believe you are right....dont forget Kubal. i doubt he will ladt the month
    Good catch. Its possible he just gets release to save Gardy from himself. Might be the only way Parms gets two months of ABs to see if he is a part of our future or part of our past.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 267 Times in 191 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As ardent Twins fans, we've all been frustrated with our home nine over the last three years and have, understandably, been looking forward to the future when the team would field a lineup of younger, more promising players.

Don't look know but its happening. With Plouffe and Dozier establishing themselves as quality MLB players and substantial playing time for Arcia, Pinto, Escobar, Santana, Hicks and Gibson, the Twins core players are now represented by younger, up and coming players.

I am guessing this process will accelerate as we get closer to the trade deadline as I anticipate (hope) that Corriea, Guerrier and Burton will all be dealt and replaced with younger players. I will also include Willingham in that group unless the Twins can hang around. Then I think we should keep him for the rest of the season (no extensions, please).
    I agree it looks like it is happening. Dozier looks like an elite 2B. Plouffe a decent role player. Arcia shows flashes where it looks like this kid is going to hit up here for a long time. Mauer will be here a long time. SS looks more promising with both Escobar and Santana getting reps and Pinto can sure hit.

Pair Meyer and May with Nolasco and Hughes and the rotation looks like it has potential, especially if Gibson can raise his K rate.

Perkins, Duensing, and a ton of young talent makes the future look good for the pen.

My understanding is we have two decent position player prospects that look like they will be here next year.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 37 Times in 32 Posts
    It's definitely getting more interesting as the year goes on and we see more of these young guys come up and contribute.

Hoping they either start playing Hicks more or just send him down to AAA so he can work on that right handed swing against right handed pitchers. Maybe when Fuld comes back that is the plan?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Quote Originally Posted by halfchest View Post
    It's definitely getting more interesting as the year goes on and we see more of these young guys come up and contribute.

Hoping they either start playing Hicks more or just send him down to AAA so he can work on that right handed swing against right handed pitchers. Maybe when Fuld comes back that is the plan?
    I'm now officially torn on the the Hicks situation. If he goes down, then Santana stays but won't be playing short. I'm at the point now where I think Santana is a more important prospect given the lack of other SS in the system. I think he needs to go to Rochester and play short again - my guess is that he ends up being a better overall player than Escobar, probably by next year. Same thing with Pinto - he either needs to the right handed DH plus catch two games a week or he needs to go to Rochester and catch everyday.

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    I'm now officially torn on the the Hicks situation. If he goes down, then Santana stays but won't be playing short. I'm at the point now where I think Santana is a more important prospect given the lack of other SS in the system. I think he needs to go to Rochester and play short again - my guess is that he ends up being a better overall player than Escobar, probably by next year. Same thing with Pinto - he either needs to the right handed DH plus catch two games a week or he needs to go to Rochester and catch everyday.

I think Hicks should play CF and Santana should play SS. Whether the big club or AAA.

12. This user likes tobi0040's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

tarheeltwinsfan (06-04-2014)

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,581 Times in 822 Posts
    Blog Entries
    With the addition of Willingham and Arcia, this lineup has gone from "bad offensively, major holes, bad defensively" to "decent offensively, one hole, bad defensively".

I'll take it. This team looks like it might be a legit 80 win team if Meyer, May, or Johnson can come up and contribute. Fill Correia's rotation spot and suddenly, the only major hole in the rotation, bullpen, and lineup is centerfield. Teams can deal with one major hole.

14. These 4 users like Brock Beauchamp's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

DocBauer (06-04-2014), Mike Frasier Law (06-04-2014), snepp (06-04-2014), tarheeltwinsfan (06-04-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    With the addition of Willingham and Arcia, this lineup has gone from "bad offensively, major holes, bad defensively" to "decent offensively, one hole, bad defensively".

I'll take it. This team looks like it might be a legit 80 win team if Meyer, May, or Johnson can come up and contribute. Fill Correia's rotation spot and suddenly, the only major hole in the rotation, bullpen, and lineup is centerfield. Teams can deal with one major hole.
    Yep. I really like the idea of dealing the relievers I mentioned plus Corriea. This allows us to slide Deduno back to the pen and add Meyer and May (I'm not sold on Johnson). Now we have a rotation of Hughes, Nolasco, Meyer, May and Gibson which looks promising for the long run. At this point I would keep Duensing - he's affordable, useful and can be a part of the future.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    I'm in no hurry to remove Deduno from the rotation. He has earned a bit of a leash at this point and it's unlikely that whoever replaces him is a better starter immediately. Keep him in the rotation this season he's very good trade bait this offseason.

17. These 2 users like Brock Beauchamp's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

EephusKnuckler (06-05-2014), ScottyB (06-04-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PatG View Post
    I like a team with some senior leadership. What is wrong with keeping Willingham to provide this if he can keep hitting like he's been since his DL time.

Is the AAA CF/2B Farris ready to come up and play a bit? Is he infield or outfield? Don't we have too many Infielder/Outfielder types?

When are the AAA pitchers going to see the bigs (new M&M boys May and Meyer)?
    If the Twins are contending, they'll likely keep Willingham around. If they're not, they really do need to try to get something for him. They missed out on getting a nice return from him two years ago during his career year.

As for Eric Farris, he is a 28-year-old minor league journeyman. If he gets called up something went terribly wrong with Dozier/Escobar/Santana/Nunez. He's nothing more than minor league depth

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    This article and this thought process is really discouraging. You should not play a future SS in CF and bench a top CF prospect because you want to win 77 games instead of 75 or 76.

The manager and development folks need to get on the same page.

http://blogs.twincities.com/twins/20...-straight-day/

20. This user likes tobi0040's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 80 Times in 50 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    I'm in no hurry to remove Deduno from the rotation. He has earned a bit of a leash at this point and it's unlikely that whoever replaces him is a better starter immediately. Keep him in the rotation this season he's very good trade bait this offseason.
    Deduno has 220 career innings as an MLB starter, with a FIP of 4.55 and xFIP of 4.34 (too small a sample for ERA to be indicative). His run prevention abilities are average but he doesn't pitch deep into games and there are health concerns. He has little trade value and makes more sense as a swingman out of the bullpen.

22. These 2 users like drivlikejehu's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

cmathewson (06-04-2014), dgwills (06-04-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 57 Times in 46 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I wouldn't object to a Willingham extension. He is filling a hole in the lineup and Sano and Buxton are not coming up right away next year as we originally planned. 1 year 8 million with 2 million incentives for plate appearances with maybe an option year.

Deduno is one of my favorite players so I hope he hangs around a while. I realize that's not an argument for him to stay on the roster but ....Guerrier is too. I think he'll be here for the year and I can see him here next year on a 1 year 2 million or less.

Santana can stay in CF and Escobar can play SS as long as Escobar can hit .270+ and Santana remains productive.

There is a CF who may be on the market soon. We could probably get him for a prospect like Max Kepler and a bullpen arm maybe......and that would be Denard Span. there are reports on MLBTraderumors.com that they may consider moving him.

And the last part of the transformation beginning is the 2 corner stone FA are also on the roster now. Hughes and Nolasco that's 400 + innings in the rotation the next several years.
    Last edited by Brandon; 06-04-2014 at 10:12 AM.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by drivlikejehu View Post
    Deduno has 220 career innings as an MLB starter, with a FIP of 4.55 and xFIP of 4.34 (too small a sample for ERA to be indicative). His run prevention abilities are average but he doesn't pitch deep into games and there are health concerns. He has little trade value and makes more sense as a swingman out of the bullpen.
    I agree that's likely where Deduno ends up given his age and stuff but he has continually defied the odds as a pitcher. As long as he's producing, he should continue to get chances to start. So far, he has been an adequate back of the rotation guy for the Twins and IMO, should continue to get opportunities to fill that role until he is no longer capable of doing so or is traded.

I don't think FIP and xFIP are good markers for Deduno. He has continually shown the ability to induce weak contact and is therefore punished by those statistics.

25. These 3 users like Brock Beauchamp's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

DocBauer (06-04-2014), jay (06-04-2014), tobi0040 (06-04-2014)

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 653 Times in 367 Posts
    A Willingham extension would make me question the sobriety of our front office.

27. This user likes TheLeviathan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    A Willingham extension would make me question the sobriety of our front office.
    Eh, on a Jim Thome-type deal it's not a bad flyer.

Though it's unlikely Josh is going to accept that deal.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast