Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Don't Look Now but the Transformation has Begun

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,596 Times in 830 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    This season, for me, has reinforced my belief this is not the GM/Manager for a young, rebuilding, team.
    Boy, I couldn't disagree more. If Ryan has just one strength, it's acquiring and hoarding young players during a rebuild and showing patience with them as they progress through the system.

On the other hand, I question whether he's the right man for the job when a team is actually contending and needs to move prospects for vets and needs to sign free agents to push the organization to the elite echelon of baseball.

2. This user likes Brock Beauchamp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

diehardtwinsfan (06-04-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    I wouldn't object to a Willingham extension. He is filling a hole in the lineup and Sano and Buxton are not coming up right away next year as we originally planned. 1 year 8 million with 2 million incentives for plate appearances with maybe an option year.
    I like Willingham, but with his age and the amount of health issues he has had lately I think giving him a guaranteed 8 would be a waste of money. Plus the fact that he should be a DH, which he doesn't want to be.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 273 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Boy, I couldn't disagree more. If Ryan has just one strength, it's acquiring and hoarding young players during a rebuild and showing patience with them as they progress through the system.

On the other hand, I question whether he's the right man for the job when a team is actually contending and needs to move prospects for vets and needs to sign free agents to push the organization to the elite echelon of baseball.
    I think Ryan and Gardy are just on different pages. I think Terry does a good job stock piling talent, but he doesn't care to battle it out with Gardy. Gardy is playing for his job and wants to win now, so you see ridiculous things that don't benefit the team long term.

So in that sense I don't think Terry is the right guy for the job. Ideally he would be your chief scout, run the drafts, and negotiate trades. But someone should tell Gardy how things will be run.

Santana in CF - No.

Hicks on the bench - No.

Pinto on the bench - No.

Guerrier blocking Tonkin, Guerra, etc. - No.

Kubel playing every day - No.

Still having Bartlett's phone number - No.

Any mention of losing your DH - No
    Last edited by tobi0040; 06-04-2014 at 12:44 PM.

5. These 2 users like tobi0040's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

cmathewson (06-04-2014), Highabove (06-05-2014)

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 818 Times in 515 Posts
    Blog Entries

This! I'd add that on the Gardy front, his biggest weakness is (in my opionion) developing young talent. While I think that Ryan is the right guy this year and possibly into next, I'm not as certain once they are in the playoff mix. But with Gardy, I'm not certain he belongs here now.

7. This user likes diehardtwinsfan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

tobi0040 (06-04-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    This! I'd add that on the Gardy front, his biggest weakness is (in my opionion) developing young talent. While I think that Ryan is the right guy this year and possibly into next, I'm not as certain once they are in the playoff mix. But with Gardy, I'm not certain he belongs here now.
    Agreed on Gardy. I am of the belief that in game, a manager in baseball is not all that important. The in game moves that one does are very similar to others. When to pinch hit, put a right handed reliever against a righty, etc.. The things that are important, like platooning, ensuring your moves make long term sense, batting order is constructed in a way that makes sense, etc. Gardy seems behind the curve big time. I am more than worried that the long term development of guys I really care about will be hurt. Will we move Sano to DH after like 10 games because we want to win now? You can't rule it out at this point.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
    Santana has no business playing SS at the major league level. Gardy is right about that one. Hicks needs to be sent down to AAA, and my prediction is that's what will happen when Fuld comes off the DL. As for Willingham, he puts fans in the seats and you need ticket sales to finance your payroll. I am really enjoying his recent streak of home runs, and hope it continues.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,304 Times in 1,754 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Teams can deal with one major hole.
    Billy Martin and Ty Cobb come to mind.

11. These 3 users like ashburyjohn's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (06-04-2014), snepp (06-04-2014), USAFChief (06-04-2014)

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
    Why does everyone want to get rid of Guerrier? He's striking out a batter almost once per three innings.
    Plus, veteran-ie-ness!!!!!!.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Isn't the GM accountable for Bartlett, Guerrier, Kubel, and sticking with KC? They seem unable to commit to their strategy.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    Santana has no business playing SS at the major league level. Gardy is right about that one. Hicks needs to be sent down to AAA, and my prediction is that's what will happen when Fuld comes off the DL. As for Willingham, he puts fans in the seats and you need ticket sales to finance your payroll. I am really enjoying his recent streak of home runs, and hope it continues.
    Willingham is putting people in seats?!?! Maybe in 2012. I don't think people are checking to see whether the Hammer is playing or not before deciding to come to the games.

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Isn't the GM accountable for Bartlett, Guerrier, Kubel, and sticking with KC? They seem unable to commit to their strategy.
    He should, but I think Gardy gets his way. Still Terry's fault

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts

You know I agree with the second part......does anyone believe they'd deal a legit prospect for a legit MLB player in the future? I don't.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 464 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries

I think the manager is not the right guy for prospects. He has too little patience.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

18. This user likes cmathewson's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (06-04-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    I think the manager is not the right guy for prospects. He has too little patience.
    Yup, and he can't stand defensive mistakes, which happen with young players. Danny Santana at SS. Sano at 3B. And god help us when Buxton misses the cut off man.

20. This user likes tobi0040's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (06-04-2014)

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,596 Times in 830 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    It's possible. I'm mostly indifferent on Gardy. I think he does some things right, others wrong.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tobi0040 View Post
    Let's take a step back and remember which club we are talking about. In a season where success is 78 wins, the following things are happening:

-A top prospect, CF is sitting on the bench while another potential future starting SS is playing in CF instead of getting reps at SS (where he needs work defensively)

-A future catching prospect is playing about twice a week

-Kevin C. is blocking Meyer and May

-We have a 34 year old, washed up OF with a .622 OPS getting reps daily
    I agree completely with your sentiment here.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It doesn't seem to difficult to build an appropriate lineup right now.

Dozier 2B
    Mauer 1B
    Willingham (for now) LF
    Arcia RF
    Pinto DH/C
    Plouffe 3B
    Suzuki C/DH
    Escobar SS
    Hicks CF

Send Santana to SS in Rochester. Release Kubel. Fuld returns soon and call up Romero

Parmelee (lefty)
    Fuld (lefty)
    Romero (righty)
    Nunez (righty)

as the bench

This is not, at all, difficult for a manager to see.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
    As I mentioned previously this lineup is perfectly "competent" for an organization that is willing to settle yet one more time for a 90+ loss season, isn't that getting just a tad old?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 287 Times in 145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oldguy10 View Post
    As I mentioned previously this lineup is perfectly "competent" for an organization that is willing to settle yet one more time for a 90+ loss season, isn't that getting just a tad old?
    I fail to see any alternatives currently available

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 287 Times in 145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    It doesn't seem to difficult to build an appropriate lineup right now.

Dozier 2B
    Mauer 1B
    Willingham (for now) LF
    Arcia RF
    Pinto DH/C
    Plouffe 3B
    Suzuki C/DH
    Escobar SS
    Hicks CF

Send Santana to SS in Rochester. Release Kubel. Fuld returns soon and call up Romero

Parmelee (lefty)
    Fuld (lefty)
    Romero (righty)
    Nunez (righty)

as the bench

This is not, at all, difficult for a manager to see.
    I would be content, given the circumstances, to see this as a lineup every day.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast