Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2014 Draft Day Thread, Day 1

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 80 Times in 50 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Chris Carpenter, Josh Johnson, and Tim Hudson - amongst others - disagree with this statement.
    No they don't. They just didn't know they were hurt.

There is nothing about Tommy John surgery that would allow for more velocity than if the same pitcher was just healthy and didn't need it. It's not medically possible.

Senior Member Triple-A InfraRen's Avatar
    Twitter
    @InfraRen
    Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
    OH SON

John Manuel @johnmanuelba
    Here's how volatile this #mlbdraft is: team in top 5 may switch gears in a big way, here 2 hours prior to start. Chaotic first rounde

The intrigue, the intrigue! Could potentially make someone available for Twins that wouldn't have been...
    Till I Collapse

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 164 Times in 96 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I can't believe we haven't heard anything about what the Astros are going to be doing. Isn't something leaked by now?

Senior Member Triple-A InfraRen's Avatar
    Twitter
    @InfraRen
    Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    I can't believe we haven't heard anything about what the Astros are going to be doing. Isn't something leaked by now?
    Yeah, thought we'd have heard something by now as well. Maybe the top 5 is more fluid than we thought (especially with that John Manuel nugget.)
    Till I Collapse

Long time reader but I finally broke down and registered. Here's my question/thought:
    I was listening to the MLB channel and they were breaking down their top ten. The name
    that caught my ear was Touki Toussaint P from Florida. They thought he had the highest
    upside of any pitcher but might take a little longer to get to the majors. Said he had outstanding stuff and the best curve ball in the class. He has only been pitching for a few
    years so he might need more time to get polished. Does anyone know much about him?
    Thanks.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 565 Times in 370 Posts
    Just going of a recently published article wiped by KLaw

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 565 Times in 370 Posts
    Touki has huge upside, I am a fan puff anyone with spin on the breaking ball like that. Mlbprospects has good write-ups, I think they are free, but I could be wrong.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 73 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackrabbit View Post
    Long time reader but I finally broke down and registered. Here's my question/thought:
    I was listening to the MLB channel and they were breaking down their top ten. The name
    that caught my ear was Touki Toussaint P from Florida. They thought he had the highest
    upside of any pitcher but might take a little longer to get to the majors. Said he had outstanding stuff and the best curve ball in the class. He has only been pitching for a few
    years so he might need more time to get polished. Does anyone know much about him?
    Thanks.
    Best curve ball in the class. Plus to plus-plus fastball. Doesn't have ideal size or a third pitch which makes teams afraid he might end up being a RPer. If you can teach him a solid third pitch and work on his control he could be a monster. High ceiling but a lot of risk.

So if the Twins took him at #5 that would be too risky? Because it sounds like he won't be there for the Twins second pick.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 77 Times in 58 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Listening to Mayo and Callis, they feel you have to 'hit' with a high 1st RD pick, aka not risk. Then it's more playing poker as the rounds get later. That thinking would lean more towards Nola types over Koleck and Touki.

I'm very intrigued by Touki, the recent improvement and the fact he could have the best curve in the class as well as a plus-fastball (just needs better command). I think he'll put on some weight too...he's tall enough. Compare him to Jeff Hoffman, a JR in college, they're about the same weight, but Touki has 3 years to put on more muscle/weight while having arguably similar skillset in his pitch repertoire. Hoffmann was considered a top 5 pick before his injury (by many, not this couch scout though).

I'm semi torn on Gordon, more if he's gone at #4 than us getting him. If he's gone I'm hoping for Touki or Jackson with the big 3 arms likely gone.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,306 Times in 1,754 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This must have been mentioned somewhere and I've missed it: how long does each team have when it's their turn to pick?

/ I have an errand to run that can't be started until the draft starts and there's about a 90 minute window --- grrr --- so should I do the errand first or wait for the Twins pick and then go?
    Last edited by ashburyjohn; 06-05-2014 at 05:18 PM.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,306 Times in 1,754 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    This must have been mentioned somewhere and I've missed it: how long does each team have when it's their turn to pick?

/ I have an errand to run that can't be started until the draft starts and there's about a 90 minute window --- grrr --- so should I do the errand first or wait for the Twins pick and then go?
    Never mind - found it. Four and a half minutes. I'll sit tight and squeeze in my errand later.

http://twinsdaily.com/content.php/30...und-the-corner

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 43 Times in 27 Posts
    Dumb question but when does the draft start?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 51 Times in 35 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My thoughts: today is a good day for the Twins. They will be 500 the latest in the season for four years, and they will
    add another hugely valuable player to their system.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 73 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drock2190 View Post
    Dumb question but when does the draft start?
    6 central. Twins should select their first pick around 6:30 and their second around 9:30. Give or take.

Word on some of the Houston boards is that Nolan Ryan (who's with the Astros now) likes Kolek and is pushing hard for him.......interesting, I know that Ryan has personally scouted Kolek several times

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 277 Times in 200 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmb0252 View Post
    6 central. Twins should select their first pick around 6:30 and their second around 9:30. Give or take.
    I love the comps they give. I was just watching MLB channel. In gushing about Aiken (a very positive review), the guy said "he reminds me of Jeremy Affeldt and Randy Wolf". He even mentioned "a guy in the Giants bullpen" with the Affeldt comp.

That will make the Astros fans get excited at 1-1

19. This user likes tobi0040's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (06-05-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 277 Times in 200 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsfanstreif View Post
    Word on some of the Houston boards is that Nolan Ryan (who's with the Astros now) likes Kolek and is pushing hard for him.......interesting, I know that Ryan has personally scouted Kolek several times
    I hear Phil Niekro is an advisor. He is pushing for a knuckleballer nobody has heard of.

21. This user likes tobi0040's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (06-05-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A B Richard's Avatar
    Liked 42 Times in 30 Posts
    I'm a little surprised if the Twins really are down on Jackson. Callis called him the best hitter, HS or college, in the entire draft. A good hit tool is certainly not easy to come by and often the make or break factor for a lot of prospects.
    Bring a song and a smile for the banjo,
    Better get while the gettin's good
    Catch a ride to the end of the highway
    Where the neons turn to wood

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast