Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2014 Draft Day Thread, Day 1

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,308 Times in 1,755 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dgwills View Post
    Seems like a solid pick. Passing on a guy like Jackson is the kind of thing you can really regret though. I would of been surprised to see them take a Boras client. Guessing that was the deciding factor.
    Boras isn't a monster and he isn't delusional. However, if the Twins didn't like what they were hearing from him, they'd be ill-advised to think this agent wouldn't stick to his guns. That's information we may never have.

2. This user likes ashburyjohn's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jimv2 (06-05-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 87 Times in 54 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    The second round pick will be a pitcher coming off of arm injury that was highly regarded before said injury. Who fits the bill?...
    Lucas Giolito

4. This user likes ScottyB's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Chance (06-05-2014)

I've been openly down on Gordon because of the questionable bat, I've warmed up on him the more I've read and watched. In 2012 I was also down on Buxton early on because of the questionable bat and competition, the more I read up on him and watched tape I went fully on the Buxton bandwagon. Here's to hoping the same thing happens with Gordon! I'll be rooting for the next Jeter (only not as douchy and not on the evil empire).

6. This user likes twinsfanstreif's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Willihammer (06-05-2014)

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,607 Times in 834 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Here is Cody's write-up on the selection, BTW. More info to come soon, as TD is reaching out to various sources for comment.

http://twinsdaily.com/content.php/30...-Fifth-Overall

8. This user likes Brock Beauchamp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (06-05-2014)

Liked 222 Times in 97 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by InfraRen View Post
    Mike Berardino @MikeBerardino
    Deron Johnson, #mntwins scouting director, used JJ Hardy and Stephen Drew as comps for Gordon
    So we traded one of them and didn't sign the other despite a pressing need. Makes sense that we would take a similar player then.

10. This user likes notoriousgod71's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

dgwills (06-05-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 137 Times in 83 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    The second round pick will be a pitcher coming off of arm injury that was highly regarded before said injury. Who fits the bill?...
    This is unlikely given the setup of the draft. For example the Cubs have already saved big money and they make their 2nd pick before the Twins and will certainly take somebody that dropped.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by notoriousgod71 View Post
    So we traded one of them and didn't sign the other despite a pressing need. Makes sense that we would take a similar player then.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Senior Member Triple-A B Richard's Avatar
    Liked 42 Times in 30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    This is unlikely given the setup of the draft. For example the Cubs have already saved big money and they make their 2nd pick before the Twins and will certainly take somebody that dropped.
    True, but from what I've heard it'll be entirely possible to still nab an intriguing HS pitcher with our 2nd rounder.
    Bring a song and a smile for the banjo,
    Better get while the gettin's good
    Catch a ride to the end of the highway
    Where the neons turn to wood

Quote Originally Posted by InfraRen View Post
    Mike Berardino @MikeBerardino
    Deron Johnson, #mntwins scouting director, used JJ Hardy and Stephen Drew as comps for Gordon
    He doesn't remind me of either, he has better fielding (potential) and speed than both and he will most likely have less power than both as well. I'll take Jimmy Rollins or Jeter as a better comp but I'm not a scout.

Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 198 Times in 97 Posts
    Interesting take on the Hoffman-money angle. Take him earlier, save more money due to the slotting system. Probably doesn't work if the Blue Jays don't have two top picks in quick succession, but something I didn't think about.

Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    Boras isn't a monster and he isn't delusional. However, if the Twins didn't like what they were hearing from him, they'd be ill-advised to think this agent wouldn't stick to his guns. That's information we may never have.
    I agree. I do not ever remember Boras backing down. Who knows, maybe the cubs didn't like what they were hearing from him either. Not to mention that most of his clients hit free agency once they can. I will trust that the twins made the right decision. It will be nice to have a top shelf shortstop prospect to follow on Twinsdaily for the next few years!

Listening to Selig speak is one of life's greatest treasures.

18. This user likes notoriousgod71's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (06-05-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 867 Times in 557 Posts
    Blog Entries
    He projects even higher than a guy with a sub .700 ops in his supposed breakout season?
    And Dee is on his way to a 4.0 +WAR season. He's going to be an All Star. His .700 OPS is 30 points better than league average @2B- only no other 2nd Baseman is going to steal 100 bases this year.

If we can get an All Star SS out of Nick... when was the last time that happened again?

Listening to Selig speak is one of life's greatest treasures.
    I enjoyed listening to him say Michael Conforto from Or-eh-gone State

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 867 Times in 557 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    They could have purposely failed to sign him and gotten the same pick back next year.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    If we can get an All Star SS out of Nick... when was the last time that happened again?
    Not that long ago. 1979.

edit: Aw, man. I missed the fact that Guzman was once an All-Star.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 568 Times in 372 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    I LOLed.

As did I. Not even close to a pre-injury Kubel. And post injury?
    Lighten up Francis....

Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    And Dee is on his way to a 4.0 +WAR season. He's going to be an All Star. His .700 OPS is 30 points better than league average @2B- only no other 2nd Baseman is going to steal 100 bases this year.

Sure if you think he's a 4 WAR player. I see a guy that couldn't stick at short (over Hanley of all shortstops, which Nick supposedly will do) and that can't hit. Of all the tools, speed is not as valuable as hitting or hitting for power.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Of all the tools, speed is not as valuable as hitting or hitting for power.
    No, but it's really useful in a guy's early and mid-20s. After 6-7 years of control, you let it go.

Dee is a really valuable player right now. I don't know if he'll keep it up but he's on pace for 100 stolen bases. That's huge. No one has stolen 100 since Vince Coleman in 87. No one has stolen 90 since 88.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think that the Twins have a comparable player already in their system: Engelb Vielma. I'd probably argue that Vielma's 3 good tools (the same with Gordon's) Defense, Arm, Speed are ahead of Gordon's, but he is 2 years older or so. Nobody had Vielma in the top 10 Twins' prospect lists this off-season, but I suspect that many will have Gordon, sight unseen.

Hope that he is the next Cal Ripken Jr, but totally disappointed by the pick...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast