Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2014 Draft Day Thread, Day 1

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Twins farm guru View Post
    You are right. Let us stop bickering and let it play out. Time will tell. In 5 years you guys can duke it out using wAR or whatever you use to examine players.
    I love a good debate, I just like them to be respectful.....though I am not w/o blame at times....
    Lighten up Francis....

2. This user likes mike wants wins's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (06-05-2014)

I guess I will be the first to predict our 2nd Rd pick, if he is on the board, I will go with Luke Weaver RHP Florida State

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    I agree, it will be a pitcher, but I am betting HS arm.
    Lighten up Francis....

Man, it would've been cool for the Royals to draft Zimmer so the brothers could play together.......oh well, they went with a college reliever that will probably flame out, good for us

6. This user likes twinsfanstreif's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

markos (06-05-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by blairpaul715 View Post
    I guess I will be the first to predict our 2nd Rd pick, if he is on the board, I will go with Luke Weaver RHP Florida State
    I would love Weaver in the 2nd

Quote Originally Posted by twinsfanstreif View Post
    I would love Weaver in the 2nd
    I would too, just dont see him falling past comp round. Fingers crossed.

Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 198 Times in 97 Posts
    Zimmer's a good pick for the Indians.

Crap.

Grant Holmes is officially the worst interview ever

Derek Hill does not look excited to be drafted by Detroit. Though I can't say I blame him. "Congrats, kid! You were just picked in the first round of the draft, and your reward is ....a one way ticket to a postapocalyptic hellhole!"

$2 million will help, I suppose.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 853 Times in 549 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by notoriousgod71 View Post
    Sure if you think he's a 4 WAR player. I see a guy that couldn't stick at short (over Hanley of all shortstops, which Nick supposedly will do) and that can't hit. Of all the tools, speed is not as valuable as hitting or hitting for power.
    Dee Gordon at the 1/3 point of the season is playing at 4 fWAR level as we speak.

As I said before the draft, I think the Twins missed on Jackson- I'm a BPA guy first & always, those of us that agree on that could be right or wrong, time will tell (and perhaps you and I are in agreement on that?). Once the top 3 pitchers were gone, what else could the Twins have done? Maybe reached for Touki or Newcomb? There must be reasons they fell to the middle of the first round. Having said that, it really isn't realistic to expect that every position player the Twins draft in the first round is going to be the next Byron Buxton at his position.

If we get a guy that projects to be much better than Dee Gordon in the infield, potentially playing at an All Star level in 3-4 years or so, I'd consider ourselves quite fortunate.

Liked 1,681 Times in 840 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Dee Gordon at the 1/3 point of the season is playing at 4 fWAR level as we speak.

As I said before the draft, I think the Twins missed on Jackson- I'm a BPA guy first & always, those of us that agree on that could be right or wrong, time will tell (and perhaps you and I are in agreement on that?). Once the top 3 pitchers were gone, what else could the Twins have done? Maybe reached for Touki or Newcomb? There must be reasons they fell to the middle of the first round. Having said that, it really isn't realistic to expect that every position player the Twins draft in the first round is going to be the next Byron Buxton at his position.

If we get a guy that projects to be much better than Dee Gordon in the infield, potentially playing at an All Star level in 3-4 years or so, I'd consider ourselves quite fortunate.
    Good post, and it reminded me not to take it for granted that BPA in the MLB draft is not a universally accepted concept. And that I still don't understand why. Makes for some good debates, though...

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    My guess is that it has something to do with the fact that Vielma can't hit or steal bases or do many things one expects out of a baseball player.
    Don't look now, but Vielma has hit .340 over his last ~90PA. While 90 PA doesn't guarantee anything, perhaps it can knock the 'unequivocal' can't hit down a notch or two. Maybe the Twins knew something when they convinced KLaw that he was a real prospect.

That being said, I also think his hit tool (if it continues to develop) will be more like Ben Revere than Stephen Drew.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 73 Posts
    From Crawford's pick-by-pick analysis:

The brother of Dodgers second baseman Dee and the son of former All-Star pitcher Tom, Gordon saw his stock rise significantly through the spring. He is a shortstop who needs to gain some weight, but he can already play the big-league position, and there's sneaky power in his left-handed bat. He reminds some of Francisco Lindor, and like Lindor he could move quickly through the Twins system. Gordon might be their everyday shortstop by 2017 -- maybe earlier if he shows the same bat he did for most of the spring.

16. This user likes cmb0252's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

InfraRen (06-05-2014)

Ok now that he was off the board, and I was thought that either St Louis or Atlanta would take him, but he went earlier than I thought he would. My next prediction is Justus Sheffield

Senior Member All-Star
    Ok now that he was off the board, and I was thought that either St Louis or Atlanta would take him, but he went earlier than I thought he would. My next prediction is Justus Sheffield
    There goes Sheffield to the Indians.

2nd pick: Sean Reid-Foley? Spencer Adams? Nick Burdi?

Quote Originally Posted by cmb0252 View Post
    There goes Sheffield to the Indians.
    I will wait on my next prediction till we are around 43, 44 LOL

I'm watching this on mlb.com, and they keep repeating the same commercials. I would pay somebody good money to slap Jason Aldean across the face right now.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 42 Times in 28 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    I LOLed.
    It's a lil funny with him struggling so but pre knee complete destruction, Kubel was absolutely raking at levels he was much younger than.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by 70charger View Post
    2nd pick: Sean Reid-Foley? Spencer Adams? Nick Burdi?
    I'm a HUGE Adams fan but I have a hard time seeing him fall that far. I'm guessing Mac Marshall.

Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast