Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: Official 2014 Draft Day Thread, Day 1

Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 198 Times in 97 Posts
    I realize how this sounds, but Jack Wilson has the absolute worst-fitting suit ever. Your suit jacket should not be multiple inches away from your neck.

Also, I may be a few beers deep. See you tomorrow night!

Senior Member Triple-A InfraRen's Avatar
    Twitter
    @InfraRen
    Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
    Jim Callis analyzes some of the unexpected first rounders, best players that fell into the 2nd, and 3 best available going into today:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/mlb/...&vkey=news_mlb
    Till I Collapse

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 320 Times in 202 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 70charger View Post
    Also, I may be a few beers deep. See you tomorrow night!
    I think this is the same thing Jack Buck always said when leaving parties.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 271 Times in 195 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by blairpaul715 View Post
    don't like it
    Here is my two cents on the Burdi pick. I have two real thoughts. I would invest one year in making him a starter. He has an 80 fastball and a 60 slider. If he develops an average changeup and his fastball as a starter drops to a 60-65 pitch, we have a starter with two plus pitches and an average pitch. The upside there just seems too big.

Second, if he ends up being our 8th inning shut down guy and a closer in 3 years, that isn't a bad thing. Here is a quick list of recent 2nd round picks:

Eades, Melotakis, Chargois, Boer, Goodrum, Bullock, Ladendorf, Rams, Benson, Kelly, Slowey, Thompson, Swarzak, Baker, Crain, Tyler, Bozied. That goes back 14 years. The only guy that will retire with more WAR than a good 8 inning set up guy is probably Baker. The verdict is out on Eades but I am not very high on him. Crain and Swarzak are probably on par with a good set up guy.

Burdi is too violent right now. He can't start and prolong with his current motion. Watch some videos he is all effort.

I like the pick if they allow him to fast track providing he does well.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsin17 View Post
    Good point, this pick was a combination of sign-ability and value. Give me Burdi over an Eades-esque pick any day of the week.
    Yeah. Was stated on air Reid-Foley and Harrison had price tag concerns. Whether true or not, hard to tell, other than they both fell quite a ways.

I'm all on board for a Burdi over Eades type. And I guess if you have a potential top closer/setup guy who is lights out. Does provide value.

Twitter
    @InfraRen
    Totally happy with letting Burdi be Burdi. Exactly who he is is someone the Twins could use today, and will be very valuable to have an imposing flamethrower set-up guy that can take over for Perk in a handful of years.

Liked it last night, like it today.
    Till I Collapse

Twitter
    @InfraRen
    Excerpt from Keith Law's article today on Day 1 winners/losers/best available:

Best available (based on their top 100 ranking)

29. Jake Bukauskas, RHP, Stone Bridge (Va.) HS
    32. Bryce Montes de Oca, RHP, Lawrence (Kan.) HS
    36. Zech Lemond, RHP, Rice
    38. Jackson Reetz, C/OF, Hickman (Neb.) HS
    47. Mac Marshall, RHP, Parkview (Ga.) HS
    48. Dylan Cease, RHP, Milton (Ga.) HS
    59. Brett Graves, RHP, Missouri
    61. Jeren Kendall, OF, Holmen (Wis.) HS
    62. Bobby Bradley, 3B, Harrison Central HS (Gulfport, Miss.)

Bukauskus, Montes de Oca and Kendall are probably all unsignable/massive over-slot guys at this point, although I expect all three will get calls tonight from teams looking to see if $1.5-2 million is enough to buy them out of their college commitment.

Lemond came back from missing time with a sore elbow that resulted directly from misuse at Rice, and teams are afraid to take a Rice pitcher to begin with. But Lemond has shown he's healthy and represents great value at this point. Cease has an elbow injury but opted for platelet-rich plasma treatment rather than surgery, and could still be signable for a team willing to take on the risk that he'll need Tommy John surgery down the road. Graves' stock wasn't helped by playing for a miserable team that missed the SEC tournament, but I think he'll go in the third round as one of the few good college starters left on the board.
    Last edited by InfraRen; 06-06-2014 at 09:38 AM.
    Till I Collapse

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Re: Burdi. I bet that he would be more effective than Burton in the Twins' pen today. That said he really has to be fast tracked for the Twins to get value. I hope for Fort Myers but would take Cedar Rapids this season. He would gain nothing pitching against kids who now making the transition from metal to wood.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
    Someone please explain the buying out of MLB draftees from their college commitments, that is a concept I do not understand. Is that really required by the colleges if an athlete signs a letter of intent to accept an athletic scholarship? I'd like more info on this subject.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 132 Times in 82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oldguy10 View Post
    Someone please explain the buying out of MLB draftees from their college commitments, that is a concept I do not understand. Is that really required by the colleges if an athlete signs a letter of intent to accept an athletic scholarship? I'd like more info on this subject.
    They are not buying them out of their college commitment. they are basically giving them a scholarship to that college to use if/when baseball doesn't work out so that education can't be used as a deciding factor.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I thought this was interesting:
    http://blogs.twincities.com/twins/20...di-in-round-2/
    Burdi said he was told the Twins had one other player on their second-round draft board rated ahead of him. Once that player went, they were ready to pull his card for the second time in four drafts.

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718