Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Waiver wire opportunity missed?

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,302 Times in 1,753 Posts
    Blog Entries

Waiver wire opportunity missed?

I see on MLB Trade Rumors that Brad Eldred was demoted by Detroit to Toledo. Did the Twins not have a chance to grab him on the waiver wire? Seems like an opportunity to snare another prospect from this divisional rival has been missed. Eldred can play first base and a little right field, and at only 31 he is just entering his prime. He hardly ever strikes out, whiffing in only 25% of his plate appearances, a mere half of Clete Thomas's rate. Terry Ryan's gotta pull the trigger when a chance like this arises.

Twitter
    @Andy_Twitchell
    Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We had a chance to get him but decided to pass.
    I bent my wookie...

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    at only 31 he is just entering his prime
    As a matter of fact, he is exiting his prime. Was never a prospect and at 300 PAs in the majors he has been hitting at the Mendoza line. Can hit mistake pitches out of the park in AA and AAA but MLB pitchers have fooled him and made him strike out in about 40% of his PAs (heck, that's his MiLB K rate too ). The Twins just got a similar player but 26 years old (Matt Rizzotti) in AAA.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Do you really want the Twins to be going after 30-something journeymen from other teams scrap heaps at this point?

I don't.

Is he any better than Aaron Bates? Is it worthwhile to have him tke playing time from Parmelee. If Morneau and Doumit play 1st (and Mauer) then the Twins end of waivering him. 1st asemen, at least journeymen, are not hard-to-find at the moment.

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,282 Times in 686 Posts
    I see on MLB Trade Rumors that Brad Eldred was demoted by Detroit to Toledo. Did the Twins not have a chance to grab him on the waiver wire? Seems like an opportunity to snare another prospect from this divisional rival has been missed. Eldred can play first base and a little right field, and at only 31 he is just entering his prime. He hardly ever strikes out, whiffing in only 25% of his plate appearances, a mere half of Clete Thomas's rate. Terry Ryan's gotta pull the trigger when a chance like this arises.
    A 31 year old "prospect"? Entering his prime? Half of Clete Thomas is still not good.

I smell sarcasm.

Liked 3,166 Times in 1,355 Posts
    The difference between satire and sarcasm is the difference between surgery and butchery. — Edward Nichols

My folks always hoped I'd be a surgeon.
    Do you have your own shop or do you work in the meat department of a major chain grocer?

Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    Do you have your own shop or do you work in the meat department of a major chain grocer?
    Nifty example of sarcasm. Thanks.
    I found it more satirical.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Abreu bats .300 for Doyers!

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Seems like an opportunity to snare another prospect from this divisional rival has been missed.
    He's not really a prospect when he's 31 years old.

He hardly ever strikes out, whiffing in only 25% of his plate appearances, a mere half of Clete Thomas's rate.
    That's still a high strikeout percentage in my book. Miguel Sano strikes out in 27% of his PAs and it's considered one of his biggest problems.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bteichr View Post
    I smell sarcasm.
    Yeah, funny how many people missed it.

Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Liked 504 Times in 195 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Good Job Ashbury John. Maybe you should pitch for the Twins. I have never seen so many swings and misses to a thread before.

It was a beauty, I feel shame.

Liked 2,296 Times in 1,288 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I gotta agree with Ashbury John. I don't call him "in his prime" anymore and the guy does strike out a lot but so does Adam Dunn. This guy is a long ball hitter and been a consistent power hitter in the minors for awhile. Send Parmelee down and give Eldred a try. See what happens. You can always cut him if it doesn't work out. I'd like to see him get a good MLB run to prove himslef or the opposite of prove himself.