Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Love seeing Arcia come alive. However...

Liked 90 Times in 36 Posts

Love seeing Arcia come alive. However...

I noticed tonight that he has a grand total of one walk in 61 plate appearances. His OBP and his batting average are nearly identical.

"Mediocre breaking balls are a gift from God." - Kirby Puckett

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Highabove's Avatar
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    Arcia is bringing some attitude and swagger to this Team. It seems to be rubbing off on many of the Players. Saying it's much needed is an under statement.
    Last edited by Highabove; 06-05-2014 at 12:21 AM.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 865 Times in 556 Posts
    Blog Entries

Oswaldo Arcia-----the anti-Aaron Hicks

Quote Originally Posted by kydoty View Post
    I noticed tonight that he has a grand total of one walk in 61 plate appearances. His OBP and his batting average are nearly identical.
    Yup. A 1.5% BB rate will tend to do that to you. If he keeps up this rate and starts hitting a few sac flies, he has a good chance of inverting his BA over his OBP.

I'll take the power stick for now- tonight he was huge, but clearly he'll have to address the plate discipline issue at some point- or he'll start repeating the bad habits of last season. It looks like he's just happy to get back with the big league club and assert himself. To his credit, he has cut the K% by 5 points from 2013, even though his Swing % has gone up by 8 points since last year (59%-51%). If Arcia qualified, he would have the highest Swing rate in baseball, 2 points better than AJ. Interesting that the Twins have the most aggressive and the most passive (Hicks) swingers (35%) on the same roster.

4. These 4 users like jokin's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (06-05-2014), LaBombo (06-05-2014), snepp (06-05-2014), zchrz (06-06-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
    I love the swagger, I particularly enjoyed his comment about his home run, where he said he was sure it was foul so he stood and watched. Then Nunez says, yeah he knew it was a home run. Some much needed fire for the Twins.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts
    It's SSS - he'll take a few more walks but right now pitchers are throwing him stuff he can drive so he's driving.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 51 Times in 26 Posts
    Let's all just settle in as its going to be a while with Arcia. I love the aggressiveness and potential but make no mistake, there will be adjustments made by the pitchers and he is going to struggle at times until he figures it out, which might take several years. It will be worth it, however as he could be the best hitter of all the prospects we are excited about.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    It's SSS - he'll take a few more walks but right now pitchers are throwing him stuff he can drive so he's driving.
    Oswaldo is only receiving about 43% of his pitches in the zone, with a league average around 48%.

AJ Pierzynski leads MLB for swinging out of the zone (48.8%). Arcia is second, just ahead of the wild and crazy bad-ball hitter, Pablo Sandoval (45.2% vs. 45.1%). Unfortunately, whereas Sandoval's O-contact rate is 78%, Oswaldo's O-contact rate is well below 50%.

The single was more impressive than the home run. Despite being out front, he was able to keep his hands back and make solid contact. It also appears like he is recognizing the breaking ball better and laying off it. I will take the sacrifice flies, scorching doubles, homers and the strikeouts.

I think they need to move Mauer back to the three hole and have Willingham and Arcia protect him. Plouffe has been great, but he does not protect Mauer like the other two could.

Seems to me it should be Santana, Dozier, Mauer, Willingham, Arcia, Plouffe.

10. These 2 users like MileHighTwinsFan's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

blindeke (06-06-2014), LaBombo (06-05-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MileHighTwinsFan View Post
    The single was more impressive than the home run. Despite being out front, he was able to keep his hands back and make solid contact. It also appears like he is recognizing the breaking ball better and laying off it. I will take the sacrifice flies, scorching doubles, homers and the strikeouts.

I think they need to move Mauer back to the three hole and have Willingham and Arcia protect him. Plouffe has been great, but he does not protect Mauer like the other two could.

Seems to me it should be Santana, Dozier, Mauer, Willingham, Arcia, Plouffe.
    How about Dozier protecting Mauer?

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 671 Times in 380 Posts
    Here is a bit of news that correlates with this thread.

The question I ask is.....do you mind Arcia watching the homerun? Was he showing up the other team or watching it?

Maybe most importantly.....do you draw a line on swagger and how do you feel about it in the context of this team?

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 394 Times in 208 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Here is a bit of news that correlates with this thread.

The question I ask is.....do you mind Arcia watching the homerun? Was he showing up the other team or watching it?

Maybe most importantly.....do you draw a line on swagger and how do you feel about it in the context of this team?
    No, I don't think he was showing up the other team at all. It was literally feet away from going foul instead of fair. I have seen other players watch it in these situations as well. It would be different if it was hit to CF. I don't view it as him showing up the other team at all.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

14. This user likes SpiritofVodkaDave's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Willihammer (06-05-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    No, I don't think he was showing up the other team at all. It was literally feet away from going foul instead of fair.
    I'm pretty sure it hooked hard and hit the foul pole, didn't it? Doesn't get any tighter than that.

I guess I'd rather see a guy stand there admiring his HR for a few seconds than what we are used to seeing with the Twins and that is a guy standing there in disbelief that he hit a homerun.
    Last edited by RIP BYTO; 06-05-2014 at 03:50 PM.

17. These 4 users like RIP BYTO's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

benchwarmerjim (06-05-2014), LaBombo (06-05-2014), notoriousgod71 (06-05-2014), snepp (06-05-2014)

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 165 Times in 97 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kydoty View Post
    That walk rate is worrisome. I love watching the guy, but it's going to be interesting to see if he can adjust when pitchers quit throwing the ball over the plate. He sure didn't last year.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 137 Times in 83 Posts
    Arcia is all about raw ability right now. He'll survive on that alone but he must mature as a hitter over the next couple of seasons to become a real middle of the order threat. I see a lot of similarities to Delmon Young. He also had tons of raw ability. He just never matured as a hitter.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 173 Times in 107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    That's true. However, strikeout and walk rates will be the first to pass the small sample size threshold. His career rate is 5.5%. That is Puckett territory. It worked for Kirby.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 464 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Just hate those grand slams and three-run homers.

Seriously? Do you guys know what you're even talking about here? He's homered in two consecutive games and has eight RBIs in those games. Have we run out of problems to talk about? How about Correia?

And he's been back from injury, what? 10 days. What are rate stats in 40 PAs? It's ridiculous. Give him a year or more before you start worrying about K/BB. And realize the K/BB is high for guys who swing violently enough to hit 40 HRs in a year, which he would do if you projected his current pace out over a full season.

OK. I get it now. Silly me. You'll are joking. Cause he's the last person to worry about. Am I right? Even after he gets picked off of second after breaking lights on the scoreboard.
    Last edited by cmathewson; 06-05-2014 at 09:36 PM.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 43 Times in 27 Posts
    He isnt walking very well at all

Liked 1,297 Times in 750 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drock2190 View Post
    He isnt walking very well at all
    Literally .... let's just hope whatever the injury is to his leg isn't serious.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    Just hate those grand slams and three-run homers.

Seriously? Do you guys know what you're even talking about here? He's homered in two consecutive games and has eight RBIs in those games. Have we run out of problems to talk about? How about Correia?

And he's been back from injury, what? 10 days. What are rate stats in 40 PAs? It's ridiculous. Give him a year or more before you start worrying about K/BB. And realize the K/BB is high for guys who swing violently enough to hit 40 HRs in a year, which he would do if you projected his current pace out over a full season.

OK. I get it now. Silly me. You'll are joking. Cause he's the last person to worry about. Am I right? Even after he gets picked off of second after breaking lights on the scoreboard.
    Is there one person that has expressed one shred of dismay at Arcia returning with a resounding bang, apparently fully healthy, projecting his energy and enthusiasm for the game.... and simply just getting out there and doing his thing? I think whatever caution being expressed by most is "cautionary" in the sense that it's not sustainable without Arcia continuing to mature as a hitter.

There are 4 qualified players since 2010 with K% rates over 30%:

Chris Carter
    Adam Dunn
    Mark Reynolds
    Jerrod Saltalamachia

All but Salty have BB% rates of 12-14% (Salty is just under 9%).

Arcia in 400+ PAs is at just under a 31% K-rate and a 5.5% BB-rate- so he's not even yet matching these 4 obviously very-flawed players. These numbers will have to improve and I'm confident he will do so- Arcia is a guy that clearly has "it", like Kirby did back in the day- I can see him being a Top-Five MVP voted guy in a year or two or three- even his defense looks improved since March/April. Nothing wrong in pointing out areas for improvement, even when he's taking the Twins by storm.

25. These 2 users like jokin's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

big dog (06-06-2014), snepp (06-06-2014)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast