Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Article: Minor League's Salary Structure Unfair?

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 165 Times in 97 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Minor League's Salary Structure Unfair?

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 825 Times in 519 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Honestly, if teams went out of their way to house and feed these kids, I doubt there'd be too much going on, but at those rates (which I believe are the non-40 man rates), those kids aren't making enough to get by. I would think the teams woudl be very interested in housing and feeding of their prospects, just as I'd think the union would be behind this too. Given the lack of a seat at the table in the CBA process, I really don't see how MLB is going to win this one. The would be wise to settle and make some changes.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Twitter
    @JimCrikket
    Liked 105 Times in 51 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Just to be clear, it's not the Twins that are arranging housing for their minor leaguers. Where the benefit exists, such as in CR, it's provided by the local club and their supporters, not the parent organization.

4. This user likes SD Buhr's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Thrylos (06-06-2014)

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 568 Times in 372 Posts
    I find it bizarre that teams don't invest in proper food for their most important assets. It is clear that minor leaguers are underpaid for their work, and I hope the plaintiffs win and take money from the greedy MLB players and owners.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 56 Times in 22 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It would be unfortunate if the players were compelled to arbitration or if this suit falls under an exemption. Quite frankly, the gentleman are being exploited for their desire to live a dream. A fair salary wouldn't hurt MLB's bottom line in the least.
    I will one day successfully sneak onto the Sportive Podcast, and have nothing intelligent to say or add to the conversation.

Great article. This is not something those of us that follow baseball and the minor leagues think about. Are minor leaguers part of the major league union? If not, it seems the logical next step is for them to unionize. That would allow them to standarize the compensation for all players and allow them to negotiate for their fair share.

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 82 Times in 49 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Changes have to be made. These guys are right be filling this suit. Just giving these kids 50k would be plenty for them to get by and would hardly break the bank for MLB teams. That might create a little more accountability for roster spots in the minors too. I'm not a union guy, but the minor league guys are really getting the shaft.

Quote Originally Posted by Boda P View Post
    Great article. This is not something those of us that follow baseball and the minor leagues think about. Are minor leaguers part of the major league union? If not, it seems the logical next step is for them to unionize. That would allow them to standarize the compensation for all players and allow them to negotiate for their fair share.
    Players not on the 40 man roster are not represented by the union. If they were represented by the union, they could not have brought this suit - they would have had to have the fight in front of the National Labor Relations Board.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Boda P View Post
    This is a big part of the problem. They are 'represented' by the MLBPA, but they have no voting interest. They have no vote on the CBA at all. The MLBPA has clearly not represnted them well, and that's a big part of this problem.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 40 Times in 26 Posts
    You and I are feeding the minor leaguers since so many of them qualify for food stamps.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DJL44 View Post
    You and I are feeding the minor leaguers since so many of them qualify for food stamps.
    Sadly yes... and I would think that MLB would want to make sure their nutrition is well cared for. This is an odd way to treat an investment in my opinion. Guys like Buxton won't really have problems given their large signing bonuses, but guys drafted in the later rounds really don't have much to work with.

The article doesn't mention it, but the lawsuit names Bud Selig as an individual defendant. Under most circumstances, he would not be personally liable for the acts of the MLB. But the Fair Labor Standards Act defines "employer" very broadly, and courts have held owners, officers, and directors of companies individually liable if they were personally involved and in charge of the corporate conduct that violated the FLSA. Can you imagine Bud being on the hook personally for a multimillion dollar judgment?

Twitter
    @JimCrikket
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Frasier Law View Post
    Can you imagine Bud being on the hook personally for a multimillion dollar judgment?
    No I can't, but the thought does bring a smile to my face.

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for
    MetroSportsReport.comwhile my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

15. These 5 users like SD Buhr's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

crarko (06-06-2014), diehardtwinsfan (06-05-2014), Hosken Bombo Disco (06-06-2014), Mike Frasier Law (06-05-2014), snepp (06-05-2014)

Liked 401 Times in 264 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    This is a big part of the problem. They are 'represented' by the MLBPA, but they have no voting interest. They have no vote on the CBA at all. The MLBPA has clearly not represnted them well, and that's a big part of this problem.
    That's just it, why would the MLBPA represent the non-voting members to the same extent they represent the voting members. Does it make sense to have 1 union for 2 distinct groups?

Twitter
    @JimCrikket
    Blog Entries
    The best minor leaguers generally got decent signing bonuses and expect to be Major Leaguers. The guys who need something like union protection would be in real danger of simply being released if they got involved with union organizing while in the minors.

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for
    MetroSportsReport.comwhile my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Can you imagine Bud being on the hook personally for a multimillion dollar judgment?
    I would expect that MLB has a hefty D&O insurance policy that would prevent Bud from having to personally contribute very much.

19. This user likes Sssuperdave's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Mike Frasier Law (06-05-2014)

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,606 Times in 833 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sounds like a hell of an idea for a sitcom.

21. This user likes Brock Beauchamp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Mike Frasier Law (06-05-2014)

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 671 Times in 380 Posts
    Just like the NCAA, MLB is sinking their own ship out of pure greed on this issue. As John points out, they have plenty of profit to invest and even a meager investment would likely do away with these issues for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    Honestly, if teams went out of their way to house and feed these kids, I doubt there'd be too much going on, but at those rates (which I believe are the non-40 man rates), those kids aren't making enough to get by. I would think the teams woudl be very interested in housing and feeding of their prospects, just as I'd think the union would be behind this too. Given the lack of a seat at the table in the CBA process, I really don't see how MLB is going to win this one. The would be wise to settle and make some changes.
    Er, no they wouldn't. The MLPA simply has no reason to care about those not in their membership (and these players are NOT members in any meaningful sense), even perspective or impending members.

I would argue that this lawsuit is incomplete and that the Major League's Player's Association should be enjoined as defendents and co-conspirators in limiting the amount of money available for amature signings and those in the minors who lack voting power within the Union. Afterall, the Players Unoin shaped and signed off on the CBs and have never visibly recognized or forwarded the cause of these types of players.

The Union is just as culpable and fines and remedies should be split.
    Last edited by Steve Johnson; 06-05-2014 at 09:35 PM.

24. These 2 users like Steve Johnson's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (06-06-2014), Hosken Bombo Disco (06-06-2014)

Liked 1,297 Times in 750 Posts
    This issue is gathering steam not just in the courts but in the court of public opinion ... which is often more effective.

Maybe they can shame mlb into that extra 1% at some point.

26. This user likes JB_Iowa's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (06-06-2014)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast