Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: A Couple Twins Thoughts

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 532 Times in 346 Posts
    Blog Entries

A Couple Twins Thoughts

Will the Twins beat the Brewers in four sets? The first three: 2-6, 6-4, 6-4, so a 7-5 or 7-6 win would do the trick.

I read the dead tree strib while having breakfast this morning and Reusse had an article about Santana--worth a read. Three points he made--it was an embarrassment to all for Hicks to profess no confidence as a LH hitter and abandon switch hitting. He made a Santana comparison to Cesar Tovar who I believe is in the Twins Hall of Fame. Third, he said that Santana in center is better than no Santana at all.

Fuld is going on rehab to New Britain? Well, Danny Ortiz just got promoted to Rochester, so maybe they didn't want to mess with the Red Wings some more.

Twins Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Twitter
    @Sheradoodles
    Liked 1,905 Times in 1,114 Posts
    Could you post a link?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 58 Times in 47 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiTownTwinsFan View Post
    Could you post a link?
    I think it says he read the newspaper. linking to a newspaper would be an interesting trick.

4. This user likes Brandon's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Siehbiscuit (06-05-2014)

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    I find it fascinating that Hicks is basically benched since he made the change, for a SS. I say ride Santana while he is hot, why not?
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 26 Times in 20 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    I find it fascinating that Hicks is basically benched since he made the change, for a SS. I say ride Santana while he is hot, why not?
    I've kind of assumed that's what's happening here. Santana is hitting well enough that he should be in the lineup for now. Since Escobar is also one of our better hitters at the moment, that means Santana ends up in CF in place of a pretty iffy hitter. If he ever cools off it will be interesting to see what happens, will Hicks start getting regular playing time, or will he have been demoted for Fuld by then?

I'm also curious to see if Santana eventually gets so much playing time out there that he actually looks mildly comfortable, cause so far I haven't seen much to indicate he has any instincts for the position at all, just raw tools and athleticism. I do like having him in the lineup, though, he's fun to watch.

Senior Member MVP
    I'd prefer Santana at SS, but that seems unlikely, so play him in CF, I guess.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 320 Times in 202 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiTownTwinsFan View Post
    Could you post a link?
    I believe this is the Reusse article in question:

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/261929191.html

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 320 Times in 202 Posts
    Blog Entries
    From Reusse:
    Gardenhire’s recent lineups have had Santana batting first. If the rookie can pull it off, that allows Brian Dozier to move to a better spot for him, second, and will make for a better-looking lineup card.
    I guess there's no real harm in this while he's the hot hand, but this seems kinda stupid otherwise. Santana doesn't walk, probably isn't a high enough AVG hitter to make up for it in terms of OBP, and K's a lot. His batting numbers so far scream unsustainable. And you want to remake your whole lineup for this guy? He might be one of our top 9 hitters at the moment, but he probably isn't even top 6, and this is the guy you want to give the most plate appearances on the whole team?

What's wrong with Dozier at leadoff? It's tempting to want to see those HR in the middle of the order, but he's probably not our top HR hitter long-term. He's a great OBP guy, and a solid 2B/HR/SB threat, and he's been excelling in the leadoff role for awhile now. Plus, Dozier-Mauer-Willingham-Arcia-Plouffe/Pinto has a nice alternating flow to it.

Are we still that committed to getting Mauer back to the #3 spot? Not bashing Mauer, but he looks less like a #3 hitter than ever before. We should consider ourselves lucky we've got a well-rounded RH bat to slot in front of him, and an apparently healthy RH power bat behind him, and quit messing around with marginal bats at the top of the lineup.

10. These 2 users like spycake's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

gil4 (06-05-2014), USAFChief (06-05-2014)

It was embarrassing for all a week ago, when it was announced that Hicks had decided to give into the statistics and abandon switch-hitting. To have a 24-year-old trying to learn on the fly to bat right-handed against big-league righthanders brought on some much-deserved ridicule.
    I agree with his 2nd point about learning to hit RH pitching from the right side on the fly, and I think most of us agree it should be in AAA. But I strongly dislike he used the phrase "embarrassing for all" for Hicks to give up hitting left handed. I think it would be more embarrassing for him to try and stick to something he doesn't feel comfortable doing against major league pitching and continue to struggle. A lot of posters here have been saying for years he should give it up. I think it's more of a mature thing to do than an embarrassing one. Just my two cents.

12. This user likes SwainZag's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (06-05-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spycake View Post
    I guess there's no real harm in this while he's the hot hand, but this seems kinda stupid otherwise. Santana doesn't walk, probably isn't a high enough AVG hitter to make up for it in terms of OBP, and K's a lot. His batting numbers so far scream unsustainable. And you want to remake your whole lineup for this guy? He might be one of our top 9 hitters at the moment, but he probably isn't even top 6, and this is the guy you want to give the most plate appearances on the whole team?

What's wrong with Dozier at leadoff? It's tempting to want to see those HR in the middle of the order, but he's probably not our top HR hitter long-term. He's a great OBP guy, and a solid 2B/HR/SB threat, and he's been excelling in the leadoff role for awhile now. Plus, Dozier-Mauer-Willingham-Arcia-Plouffe/Pinto has a nice alternating flow to it.

Are we still that committed to getting Mauer back to the #3 spot? Not bashing Mauer, but he looks less like a #3 hitter than ever before. We should consider ourselves lucky we've got a well-rounded RH bat to slot in front of him, and an apparently healthy RH power bat behind him, and quit messing around with marginal bats at the top of the lineup.
    Since the one and only legit leadoff guy was traded away, Gardy has been doing the hot-hand-hunch theory of leadoff guy (minus the ill-fated Month of Hicks, April, 2013). Santana currently fills the bill.

But, I am simply stunned how Gardy has overlooked his most obvious hot-bat guy to lead off against RHP pitchers--Eduardo Escobar has a .350 OBP against righties in 108 PAs- and has yet to bat leadoff.

14. This user likes jokin's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Liked 144 Times in 80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    Will the Twins beat the Brewers in four sets? The first three: 2-6, 6-4, 6-4, so a 7-5 or 7-6 win would do the trick.
    I'd like to finish with and easy six-love set, but I don't think our serve is going to get us there today.

Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post

...it was an embarrassment to all for Hicks to profess no confidence as a LH hitter and abandon switch hitting.
    Why? He's barely been to the plate since then, but in the few opportunities he has had he hasn't done anything embarrassing (or at least not as embarrassing as hitting <.150, like he was doing left-handed.)

The only thing that should have been embarrassing is the fact that a bunch of bloggers identified this as a logical move quite a while ago and management is still holding on to the idea that he might be able to make switch hitting work.

16. This user likes gil4's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 199 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    I think it's the perfect scenario for Hicks, also as a note he wasn't benched right away, they threw him out to the wolves for about 5 games after he made the switch. Now it gives Hicks the time to really work on hitting RHP as a righty in the cages/BP and build up his confidence that way.

I legimatelly felt terrible for the guy when they tossed him out there to face Tanaka, but he at least showed signs of holding his own.

Santana is nothing more than a band-aid in CF at this point IMO, Fuld doesn't do anything for me either. Either Hicks needs to step up or the Twins need to bring one in via trade.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 199 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spycake View Post
    The play 2nd, bat 2nd has been an institution for this org SIR! Let's just be happy that for the first time in near forever it actually is slotted by a player who is an impact player.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 532 Times in 346 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Dozier has certainly been a viable leadoff guy this year. He was riding a .380 OBP early with all the walks he received, but it was down to .333 at the nadir of his slump. Dozier would be fine at every place in the lineup and I think the need is greatest at leadoff long term.

Even though he hasn't played much this year, all conversation of center field has to include the best prospect the Twins have had (maybe I should put that in bold), at least since Joe Mauer. I like Buxton a lot, and I think Terry Ryan likes him more. I still believe, if he gets on the field this month, that he will be starting in Minnesota next year, probably before the All-Star break.

I believe the headline in the paper strib read something like "Santana in Center is better than no Santana" or something like that. Patrick makes the point that converting to center for a shortstop shouldn't be too tough. I agree, but it is a questionable strategy for Santana.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 659 Times in 371 Posts
    So now hitting batting cage fastballs is where Hicks needs to be?

Watch out T-ball leagues....we're working our way to you now!

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 488 Times in 285 Posts
    The Twins are better off with Hicks batting 9th and hitting right handed exclusively, than they are with Santana playing center.

This Ruesse column is just another club press release at the expense of a young player going through a deep struggle.

I am OK with Santana in the lineup, but he should either play short or DH.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosken Bombo Disco View Post
    The Twins are better off with Hicks batting 9th and hitting right handed exclusively, than they are with Santana playing center.

This Ruesse column is just another club press release at the expense of a young player going through a deep struggle.

I am OK with Santana in the lineup, but he should either play short or DH.
    Yeah, I thought it was kind-of like an undeclared unilateral truce from the OF Outrage that Reusse's been haranguing about over the last couple weeks. But I also think that in the process, Reusse looks like he can move forward, silently claiming victory now that he's found out that Santana was going to play every day and not sit for weeks with his eyelid laceration.

It's kind of funny, as Reusse was complaining and casting doubts about Gomez, for doing some of the same stuff that now is OK for Santana to do, when Gomez first took CF for the Twins.

But you're right, Santana should be playing SS every day, somewhere, he needs every rep he can get, and his BA and OBP look to be ready to go ripe here at any moment.

Senior Member MVP
    No Reusse is not in the business of spouting the party line for a club. No chance that was the reason for this. Zero.

24. This user likes mike wants wins's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner: