Twins Contributor Big-Leaguer Cody Christie's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Twins Select Nick Gordon Fifth Overall

I like this pick!

Senior Member Big-Leaguer jimbo92107's Avatar
    Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Haven't seen much video on Gordon, but he does seem to have a nice swing. He's fast, has a rocket arm, and reportedly is very baseball savvy. Finally a star shortstop? Here's hoping.

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Sounds like a quality individual based on his interview during the Twins-Brewers game. That doesn't hurt at this stage.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 42 Times in 28 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Always liked the possibility of picking Gordon but am very surprised they let Jackson slip past them when he fell. A catcher who could stick & being the best hitter in the draft. Could be a big mistake. Was very surprised Marlins went with Kolek over Rodon, Ken Williams had to be ecstatic.

I really wanted them to grab Jackson when he fell, though I kne they wouldn't. I agree that this might be a mistake with jackson getting comps to wil meyer's career. I will hope for the best though. Super excited for round two!

7. This user likes benji21's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

kab21 (06-05-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 173 Times in 107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Jackson does have a greater likelihood of a significant major league career as a RF. Gordon is the bigger risk. Shortstops are really hard to find. Risks need to be taken.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 668 Times in 377 Posts
    Love the possibilities with this pick, really glad they went this direction.

Senior Member Triple-A DocBauer's Avatar
    Liked 174 Times in 99 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Knew it was coming. Don't hate the pick at all. Hope he's what we've all longed for at SS, and that he is like many of our top young prospects the past few years, a relatively fast riser.

But I am a little surprised they still went this route when Jackson was unexpectedly available. Best high school hitter in the draft, and some say the best potential hitter period. Did we perhaps pass on the BPA?

I think it is a great pick! The Twins went out and got maybe the best position player in the draft... Remember the last time we did that? Yea that guy is the number 1 prospect in the game now.

Its awesome seeing how much high end talent the Twins have in the system now. Soon we will be calling one or 2 up every year. We have a lot to be excited about.

12. This user likes Spicoli's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

gunnarthor (06-05-2014)

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, I like this pick for sure. Seems like a good character, good baseball acumen and greatly talented. Speed, arm, defense, bat, power potential... I like it! I hope he signs quickly..

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts
    This means nothing but I like how his interviews and taped stuff for mlb went. Seemed like a nice guy who was dedicated to baseball. Some of those other interviews made those guys look like future frat boys.

should be on the club for the world series push

16. This user likes highlander's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Sweetwater (06-05-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We just drafted Niko Goodrum Part II = (but maybe with more power). You heard it here first

Senior Member Double-A SgtSchmidt11's Avatar
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    Jackson does have a greater likelihood of a significant major league career as a RF. Gordon is the bigger risk. Shortstops are really hard to find. Risks need to be taken.
    I keep reading that Gordon is the safest pick of the draft.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 134 Times in 82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lightfoot789 View Post
    We just drafted Niko Goodrum Part II = (but maybe with more power). You heard it here first
    Goodrum was a really raw athlete that still needed to learn how to play baseball. Even when he was drafted they mentioned that he might move to CF if he didn't figure out defense. He's done alright but that's not Gordon at all.

Really like the pick. Hope he hits a little better than projected. Here's to Jeter II.

Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Liked 507 Times in 198 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I can understand people being disappointed with passing on Jackson, but I feel confident the Twins made the right choice with Gordon.

It is not lost on me that he is the son of a helluva good baseball player with 20ish years in the bigs. Although he was a kid when he was hanging out with his dad in the clubhouses and in the field and getting to know his dad's teammates, I believe that kind of thing sticks with you. It also does not hurt that his older brother is doing a more than decent job as the starting 2B of the Dodgers - when he has his struggles, he will have a few MLB baseball experienced people to lean on. He also seems to have a great head on his shoulders. He is a tremendously talented player and he has a leg up on his fellow draft class because of this.

The more I think of it, I feel lucky the Twins drafted Nick Gordon. Barry Larkin was drafted #4 in 1985 - just maybe we could have ourselves a comparable player 29 years later.

Fingers Crossed

22. These 2 users like Bark's Lounge's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jimv2 (06-06-2014), Sweetwater (06-06-2014)

I love this pick! I think he compares favorably to Francisco Lindor only I think Gordon will end up hitting better than Lindor will. One thing is for sure, the Twins are going to have some seriously good defense up the middle in a few years with Gordon at short, Dozier at second and Buxton in center. Going to be an exciting team!

Nick Gordon is the son of pitcher Tom "Flash" Gordon and the brother of Dee Gordon of the LA Dodgers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast