Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Article: Twins Select Nick Burdi in the 2nd round

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries

Twins Select Nick Burdi in the 2nd round

With their 2nd round pick, 46th overall, the Twins selected someone they had drafted before. They drafted RHP Nick Burdi, a relief pitcher from Louisville that they selected in the 24th round in the 2011 draft out of high school. They couldn't convince him to sign then, but he should certainly sign this time around.

Burdi throws serious heat, occasionally touching 100 mph on a radar gun. He immediately takes over the spot as the top rated reliever in the Twins organization.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries

Article: Twins Select Nick Burdi in the 2nd round

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 42 Times in 28 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Don't follow the college ranks enough to have known him before this but after reading up on him a little like the pick. I guarantee they start him out as a starter and see if he sticks while giving him an opportunity to work on his breaking stuff.

4. This user likes Trevor0333's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

tarheeltwinsfan (06-06-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts
    I like this pick. Gordon and Burdi both probably slot in the Twins top 10. Burdi sets up Perkins for a few years and then replaces him. Not a bad second round pick.

Also, I totally called it in the run up threads - constantly saying we'd take him if he were to fall to 46.

6. This user likes gunnarthor's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor0333 View Post
    Don't follow the college ranks enough to have known him before this but after reading up on him a little like the pick. I guarantee they start him out as a starter and see if he sticks while giving him an opportunity to work on his breaking stuff.
    no way he starts.

I really like this pick. While relievers do not have the same value as position players or starters, Burdi has a pretty decent chance to be an electric reliever with a 90's fastball and a slider in the high 80's. Could be a very valuable piece in the BP.

9. This user likes HansGruber's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    And other orgs would move him quickly before he gets hurt, when he is ready, he would be up.....I hope they keep him as a reliver, and put him right in Ft. Meyers.

11. This user likes mike wants wins's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

I was hoping they'd take him in the 2nd after watching him last weekend. His slider looked nasty.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 43 Times in 27 Posts
    If the Twins try to convert him to SP it will be a mistake.

Hopefully he will be setting up Glen Perkins sometime next year

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    I really like the pick as well. I'm easy to keep happy though. If it makes any sense, I'm good with it because there is zero way to predict what will happen on any of the picks from 1 through 1,300 (or however many).

And, yeah, there's no way that Burdi will get starts.

15. This user likes Seth Stohs's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 273 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    I really like the pick as well. I'm easy to keep happy though. If it makes any sense, I'm good with it because there is zero way to predict what will happen on any of the picks from 1 through 1,300 (or however many).

And, yeah, there's no way that Burdi will get starts.
    I read he has an 80 fastball. A 60 slider. I would absolutely have him focus on a change and try to start him. The upside here is very high as a starter. If the fastball drops velo and is a 70 pitch. 70 fb. 60 sl and an average change would be a coup here

17. This user likes tobi0040's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 61 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Seth's first comment in the mock 3.0 article

17 Comments

1. Seth Stohs - Yesterday, 11:28 PM

I wonder if the Twins would be willing to draft Nick Burdi again if they fell to them at 46. Part of me thinks so, and part of me just wonders if they would go for a non-reliever.

19. These 2 users like Brandon's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Seth Stohs (06-06-2014), tarheeltwinsfan (06-06-2014)

Liked 61 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tobi0040 View Post
    I read he has an 80 fastball. A 60 slider. I would absolutely have him focus on a change and try to start him. The upside here is very high as a starter. If the fastball drops velo and is a 70 pitch. 70 fb. 60 sl and an average change would be a coup here
    So would having an overpowering RH and LH reliever tandem to set up and close out games when were competitive again with Fien, Zach Jones, Deunsing and Thielbar and Tonkin. Now that's a pen.
    Last edited by Brandon; 06-05-2014 at 10:55 PM.

21. This user likes Brandon's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Liked 287 Times in 145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    And other orgs would move him quickly before he gets hurt, when he is ready, he would be up.....I hope they keep him as a reliver, and put him right in Ft. Meyers.
    What other orgs would do this?

Liked 287 Times in 145 Posts
    I don't follow the draft closely at all...but I'm not wild about using a 2nd round pick on a guy whose ceiling is being really good for 50 innings per year. On second thought, though, how often to 2nd round guys even contribute meaningful innings at the ML level?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 50 Times in 30 Posts
    No tobi0040. He is going to be a reliever. After another night of Jared Burton, Twins fans should be happy about having a quality reliever not to mention more in AAA right now. Seth, this makes me think that Fien might be available if the Twins drop out of contention. What think you?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 173 Times in 107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Would you trade him for Stephen Drew? I prefer Escobar and his high 90s heat. Good pick.

26. These 2 users like jorgenswest's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Seth Stohs (06-06-2014), twinsfan34 (06-10-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 39 Times in 34 Posts
    I'm not going to claim to know anything about anything. It just seems like the Twins have a recent history of drafting relievers to switch them to starters. So why is this guy not possible for that?

I do find it strange, if a guy is that good why didn't he start in college? But they've been trying it now for a couple of years. Either way, seems like a nice value pick when looking at the pre draft rankings.

It sounds like he wants to be a closer, not a starter. Hopefully they won't waste their time starting him. A bullpen of Perkins, Tonkin and Burdi could be fun.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/0...ick-burdi.html

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 857 Times in 552 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Beezer07 View Post
    What other orgs would do this?
    Seattle, for one...

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast