Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Article: Twins Select Nick Burdi in the 2nd round

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 134 Times in 82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    Would you trade him for Stephen Drew? I prefer Escobar and his high 90s heat. Good pick.
    I would trade him for Ervin Santana since you asked.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 379 Times in 233 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beezer07 View Post
    What other orgs would do this?
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Seattle, for one...
    Detroit for another. Chance Ruffin and Corey Knebel come to mind. No team was more tied to Burdi than Detroit was either.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 852 Times in 548 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There's a good chance we'll get to see Burdi in action starting tomorrow night on ESPNU:

LOUISVILLE SUPER REGIONAL
    Jim Patterson Stadium

Friday, June 6
    Game 1: No. 3 Kennesaw State (40-22) vs. No. 1 Louisville (48-15) (ESPNU, 6:30 p.m.)

Saturday, June 7
    Game 2: ESPNU, 7 p.m.Sunday, June 8
    Game 3: ESPN2, 6 p.m. (if necessary)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 379 Times in 233 Posts
    I'd like this pick better if I actually thought the Twins would fast track him, but they are so damn reluctant to rid themselves of the most fungible kinds of baseball players: relief pitchers.

Seriously, Pino, Hoffman, Guerra, Ibarra, Achter, Pressly and Thompson can't get a look over Matt Guerrier, who did nothing to deserve a call up?And that's saying nothing about Burton, Swarzak and Tonkin's struggles.

This is a damn fine pick. I'll take his odds of being a lights out RP anyday.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    I'm not big on relief pitchers this high in the draft, but this one could be the exception to the rule. He's never pitched more than 35 innings at Louisville, so we don't have a power guy with a burned-out college arm. There's no reason with his electric stuff that he can't be up very fast to the big club- some time next year is not out of the realm of possibility. It sounds like a little fine tuning of his form to protect his arm health and strength for the long-term, and he's good to go.

This certainly opens up the possibility of being able to move Fien or Perkins at their peak value, as well.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 171 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    I would trade him for Ervin Santana since you asked.
    Can we throw in Mike Pelfrey?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 60 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Beezer07 View Post
    I don't follow the draft closely at all...but I'm not wild about using a 2nd round pick on a guy whose ceiling is being really good for 50 innings per year. On second thought, though, how often to 2nd round guys even contribute meaningful innings at the ML level?
    If we have 2 draft picks make the majors its a good draft so if Burdi and Gordon make it then we have a successful draft. Hopefully we can get 1 or 2 more major leaguers out of it.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    I'd like this pick better if I actually thought the Twins would fast track him, but they are so damn reluctant to rid themselves of the most fungible kinds of baseball players: relief pitchers.

Seriously, Pino, Hoffman, Guerra, Ibarra, Achter, Pressly and Thompson can't get a look over Matt Guerrier, who did nothing to deserve a call up?And that's saying nothing about Burton, Swarzak and Tonkin's struggles.
    I would strongly recommend that the Twins look to move Burton, Guerrier and Swarzak out as soon as possible. I'd probably do it by Sunday if I could get any kind of value at all, with Pino, May and Pressly replacing them. Correia to long relief with May starting in his place.

I'm not worried a bit yet about Tonkin, I think he'll be fine, pitchers go through adjustment periods and funks, he showed enough last year and early this year that he can still be very effective in time.

10. These 2 users like jokin's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jorgenswest (06-06-2014), ScottyB (06-06-2014)

Liked 37 Times in 31 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post

Achter probably should be up. Pressly last year was a below average pitcher used in low leverage situations. There would be a reason for that. Tonkin had a shot this year. What did he do that would say "I'm ready". Low strikeouts, high ERA are not what keeps you in the big leagues. You can't have both as Tonkin did.
    Talent will rise up through the system. Keep your eyes open and you might see some of the promotions that happen.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Monkeypaws's Avatar
    Liked 112 Times in 67 Posts
    An 80 fastball?! With a plus slider? Pretty nice value in the 2nd round.

13. This user likes Monkeypaws's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Sweetwater (06-06-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wise One View Post
    Achter probably should be up. Pressly last year was a below average pitcher used in low leverage situations. There would be a reason for that. Tonkin had a shot this year. What did he do that would say "I'm ready". Low strikeouts, high ERA are not what keeps you in the big leagues. You can't have both as Tonkin did.
    Talent will rise up through the system. Keep your eyes open and you might see some of the promotions that happen.
    Year over year, Tonkin lost 2 MPH on his FB and 3 MPH on his slider. Those kind of drops will kill an inexperienced RP without another out pitch. It looks like he's piecing things back together nicely in Rochester. Let's not sell him short prematurely.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wise One View Post
    The reason Pressly was used in low leverage situation is because he was a Rule 5 selection that they used conservatively, and considering he'd jumped from AA, his numbers were pretty good for a rookie. He's throwing quite well in Rochester, his K%, now over 20% is a career high at any level, and he is putting up good numbers overall, even with an aberrational BABIP spike.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by halfchest View Post
    I'm not going to claim to know anything about anything. It just seems like the Twins have a recent history of drafting relievers to switch them to starters. So why is this guy not possible for that?

I do find it strange, if a guy is that good why didn't he start in college? But they've been trying it now for a couple of years. Either way, seems like a nice value pick when looking at the pre draft rankings.
    I think that's a bit of an overstatement. They certainly tried to make a few relief pitchers into starters but not all. Corey Williams - who might have had the best stuff - stayed a relief pitcher. And some of the relief pitchers got stretched out just to work on stuff but they were never expected to be starters at the ML level.

Liked 104 Times in 62 Posts
    I really like this pick big nasty durable flame thrower that shouldn't have much to absorb in the minors.

I've read about this training program he is apparently on, and it seems like a positive thing especially since 100 mph arms can be risky. Lots of work on throwing different weights of balls and throwing without releasing to build strength in the entire delivery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhCPvJDAWH0

Liked 87 Times in 54 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    I would strongly recommend that the Twins look to move Burton, Guerrier and Swarzak out as soon as possible. I'd probably do it by Sunday if I could get any kind of value at all, with Pino, May and Pressly replacing them. Correia to long relief with May starting in his place.

I'm not worried a bit yet about Tonkin, I think he'll be fine, pitchers go through adjustment periods and funks, he showed enough last year and early this year that he can still be very effective in time.
    As long as we're cleaning house can we add Kubel and Duensing as well?

19. This user likes ScottyB's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (06-06-2014)

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 665 Times in 376 Posts
    I guess I'm curious......what are the odds we see him by spring training of 2016?

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 379 Times in 200 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    I guess I'm curious......what are the odds we see him by spring training of 2016?
    Very high.

22. These 2 users like Seth Stohs's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (06-06-2014), TheLeviathan (06-06-2014)

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
    This guy should be on the major league roster in 2016 at the latest. He doesn't start because he doesn't have a 3rd pitch at all. But he might have been the top relief pitcher in this draft. High risk of arm injury though so they shouldn't waste time moving him up.

Why didn't he start in college?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast